Prospect Info: HFCBJ 2022 Summer Prospect Rankings: #5

Which of these prospects is best?

• Total voters

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Yeah he's a late bloomer. I'm not sure what the relevance of that is. I'm more interested in what a player's current level is, and if anything, a sharply positive trajectory outweighs what a player was doing three years ago.
So he’s a better prospect than Jiricek :sarcasm:

He's definitely different than the rest of our pool and most prospects.
Yeah he’s 1-5 years older.

I like Blankenburg, and I think he’s an NHL player. But realistically his ceiling is not very high. He has no elite tools in his toolbox. Kind of funny he’s even a prospect at 24 (yes I know the reqs). Same age as Peeke.

Reactions: Halberdier

thebus88

19/20 Columbus Blue Jackets: "It Is What It Is"
Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Ceulemans add Foudy.

Carlsson got time in the playoffs, he didn't look like he was a regular NHLer when he joined though. Blankenberg stepped right in and looked like he belonged and was praised by Larsen for being the masterclass of how to play D. Completely different scenarios IMO.

Probably the most ridiculous/terrible decision by both Jarmo and Torts that isn’t really talked about.

How either guy thought it was the correct decision to play him in the playoffs, or even in the NHL at that time, I’ll have no idea.

He looked terrible back then. Hilarious back and forth debates regarding how good he could possibly become. That said, I think he’s actually turned into an ‘ok’ defenseman and I would have kept him as a 6-7 defenseman over some other guys that are looked at as way better players than they should be and much higher cap hit than they should have.

Yes, Peeke, Gavrikov and Boqvist.

LJ7

Mar 19, 2021
Ohio

I like Blankenburg, and I think he’s an NHL player. But realistically his ceiling is not very high. He has no elite tools in his toolbox. Kind of funny he’s even a prospect at 24 (yes I know the reqs). Same age as Peeke.
Who all do you think should be ranked over Blankenburg because of that?

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Yes.. which was my point .. Blankenburg played played 7 meaningless games at end of season, and many are high on him.. You can’t remember how high everyone was with Carlsson, after stepping in 5 games and looking good in the playoffs and being praised by Torts ? That was point I was making . We all have different opinions , I just don’t remotely think he’s one of our top 8 prospects right now… For example Tarasov was pretty dominant in a handful of starts, Foudy is 22, been injured and Covid season, but near a point per game in AHL past 2 seasons . I need to see more of Blankenburg , other than 7 meaningless games out of the playoff race, late in the season , from an undrafted player , especially with him being 24 already .

I get what you are tryin to say on Blankenburg and the “sample size”.

It’ll be hard to get people to admit what they once thought about Carlsson. Plenty of fans were saying ridiculous things about him, and once again, just the decision itself to have him around the team at that time was just wrong.

If it makes you feel any better, people will surely turn on Blankenburg after a couple bad months next year, like they have with Carlsson and countless others.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Who all do you think should be ranked over Blankenburg because of that?
Kids that have dominated the level of competition they faced, and how that should translate to the NHL …. Blakenburgs highlight was honorable mention for big 10 conference .

I need to really ponder my list , but KJ, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Marchenko, Cuelemans , Tarasov, Foudy, Luca Del Belluz, Voronkov, Dumais , Svozil , Angle, TFW, Malatesta, and Richard would be quickly spit balling it , with Blankenburg after this tier .

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Blanks had 69 points in 133 ncaa games , and was nothing more than average until his senior yr , where he was a 24 yr old … all I’m saying is it’s silly to have discussions of him being one of our top 10 prospects . Especially when you consider his size and age . He’s definitely worth taking a flyer on if your Jarmo

While we can debate the term “prospect” in regards to his age, and I can understand you not understanding why anybody would vote for him now as a “top 5 prospect” over Mateychuk and Ceulemans, but, Ceulemans was just voted over the dude 40-5, and to say it’s “silly” to consider Blankenburg a “top 10” prospect, is, well, silly.

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan
Unfortunately we as a people are influenced by recency bias … Like I said , Blankenburg may be good, but it was a super small sample size in meaningless games .
I need to really ponder my list , but KJ, Jiricek, Mateychuk, Marchenko, Cuelemans , Tarasov, Foudy, Luca Del Belluz, Voronkov, Dumais , Svozil , Angle, TFW, Malatesta, and Richard would be quickly spit balling it , with Blankenburg after this tier .

You’re going too far and showing your “recency bias”. As “meaningless” as much of Blankenburg’s NHL time has been, it’s STILL the NHL.

You’re giving way too much credence to “potential” or young age. The odds of all those guys (deservedly) making the NHL is a VERY LOW number. Good chance only 2-3 guys ever make it, in any type of role.

Last edited:

thebus88

Sep 27, 2017
Michigan

Regarding “ceiling” and these 2 players, people seem to think Peeke has TONS of room for growth, both physically and the mental side of the game…..:dunno:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Good point. But the comment from Lars was based, again, on just 7 games. Hey, the kid looked very comfortable and I really like his game/style. All I'm saying is an 82 game season is a huge ass physical grind and there are not that many players that can hack that (I think we only had two). My hope for him is that he can handle it. Based on just 7 games...maybe he can...and if so, good for him and the team. He does bring an infectious amount of energy and is really helping create a huge internal battle for a roster spot. All positives.

I don't know if his body can handle it either, but I think he already knows the stuff you'd want your young D to learn in the AHL.

No.. I have him right there with Christansen .

Christiansen never looked like an NHLer to me. Maybe he'll squeak in on a team that needs a #2PP QB but that's about it. A bit of scoring potential and everything else is substandard.

Reactions: ColumbusTrill

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
I thought Christiansen looked every bit as good as Blanky in his chances...saw inexperienced mistakes, but was in great position a lot of the time...needs to bulk up a bit but he definitely is a 4/5 guy (imo) if he does

Reactions: KJ Dangler

Halberdier

May 14, 2016

Blankenburg is ~20 days younger than Laine. "Prospect" Joona Luoto is more than 6 months older than both of them 😅

For me it's quite hard to decide should I vote for someone like Mateychuck, Jiricek who have a high ceiling or someone like Marchenko that is probably tearing it up next season. I ended up having them 2. Jiricek, 3. Marchenko, 4. Mateychuck.

Marchenko has also high ceiling, so he is not maybe the best example, but deciding between like Mateychuk & Blankenburg should be a better one: latter should be better for the next season, but what about 4 years from now?

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad