Prospect Info: HFCBJ 2022 Summer Prospect Rankings: #5

Which of these prospects is best?

• Total voters

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Vote for the best prospect from the above poll and post who you think should be added from the full (remaining) list below. Criteria is that they are under 25 and haven't spent the majority of a season in the NHL. (This criteria may not match any particular service's/outlet's, or anyone's here who makes a list. Be that as it may...)

1. Kent Johnson (LW/C)
2. David Jiricek (D)
3. Kirill Marchenko (LW/RW)
4. Denton Mateychuk (D)

Select your add from the list (again, please let me know if there are corrections)

Tyler Angle (C)
Tim Berni (D)
Marcus Bjork (D)
Ben Boyd (LW)
Jacob Christiansen (D)
Kirill Dolzhenkov (RW)
Jordan Dumais (RW)
Josh Dunne (C)
James Fisher (C/RW)
Trey Fix-Wolansky (RW)
Liam Foudy (C/LW)
Jet Graves (G)
Eric Hjorth (D)
Ole Julian Bjorgvik Holm (D)
Aidan Hreschuk (D)
Sergei Ibvanov (G)
Samuel Knazko (D)
Joona Luoto (LW)
Nikolai Makarov (D)
James Malatesta (C)
Carson Meyer (RW)
Mikael Pyyhtia (C)
Guillaume Richard (D)
Martin Rysavy (LW)
Dmitri Voronkov (LW)

Added: Stanislav Svozil (D)

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Cuelemans ..not sure how Blankenburg is getting votes .. remember when Gabriel Carlsson back in 2016 made his debut in the playoffs ? All I’m saying is he was an undrafted pickup , with a short.. (no pun intended ), sample size .

Reactions: Cowumbus and Fro

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Ceulemans add Foudy.
Cuelemans ..not sure how Blankenburg is getting votes .. remember when Gabriel Carlsson back in 2016 made his debut in the playoffs ? All I’m saying is he was an undrafted pickup , with a short.. (no pun intended ), sample size .
Carlsson got time in the playoffs, he didn't look like he was a regular NHLer when he joined though. Blankenberg stepped right in and looked like he belonged and was praised by Larsen for being the masterclass of how to play D. Completely different scenarios IMO.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Remember when Rychel and Dano were 1st rounders? Remember when Cam was a 6th round pick? Remember when Eric Robinson was underdrafted? Remember when 2 time Vezina winner Bobrovsky was undrafted? Draft position does not dictate the level of success a prospect will have. He took longer to develop but really is hitting the NHL many defensive prospects do anyway and plays a pretty mature game

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Yeah, I am liking Dimi as the next add.

I see Foudy as maybe a speedy third line forward with not enough NHL level offensive skill and Voronkov as a big, nasty, wrecking ball third line center. Bottom six Center > Bottom six Forward.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Carlsson never looked anywhere near as polished as Blankenburg did. Plus, unlike Carlsson, Blankenburg has offensive upside and isn’t afraid to block shots and play physical. Size means nothing when you don’t use it. Apples and oranges

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Based on the #4 voting Ceulemans was the obvious front runner to be #5. 22 votes into this poll it looks like no front runner for #6...next poll could be interesting.

Reactions: Monk

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Remember when Rychel and Dano were 1st rounders? Remember when Cam was a 6th round pick? Remember when Eric Robinson was underdrafted? Remember when 2 time Vezina winner Bobrovsky was undrafted? Draft position does not dictate the level of success a prospect will have. He took longer to develop but really is hitting the NHL many defensive prospects do anyway and plays a pretty mature game
Yes.. which was my point .. Blankenburg played played 7 meaningless games at end of season, and many are high on him.. You can’t remember how high everyone was with Carlsson, after stepping in 5 games and looking good in the playoffs and being praised by Torts ? That was point I was making . We all have different opinions , I just don’t remotely think he’s one of our top 8 prospects right now… For example Tarasov was pretty dominant in a handful of starts, Foudy is 22, been injured and Covid season, but near a point per game in AHL past 2 seasons . I need to see more of Blankenburg , other than 7 meaningless games out of the playoff race, late in the season , from an undrafted player , especially with him being 24 already .

Last edited:

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Based on the #4 voting Ceulemans was the obvious front runner to be #5. 22 votes into this poll it looks like no front runner for #6...next poll could be interesting.
I think my list from here is

Blankenberg
DBB
Foudy
Svozil
And then..... I have no idea. But even then those 4 are neck and neck for me.

Cowumbus

Mar 1, 2014
Arena District - Columbus
Except is usually does.

Reactions: KJ Dangler

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Yes.. which was my point .. Blankenburg played played 7 meaningless games at end of season, and many are high on him.. You can’t remember how high everyone was with Carlsson, after stepping in 5 games and looking good in the playoffs and being praised by Torts ? That was point I was making . We all have different opinions , I just don’t remotely think he’s one of our top 8 prospects right now… For example Tarasov was pretty dominant in a handful of starts, Foudy is 22, been injured and Covid season, but near a point per game in AHL past 2 seasons . I need to see more of Blankenburg , other than 7 meaningless games out of the playoff race, late in the season , from an undrafted player , especially with him being 24 already .

Just as you count what players did in the AHL or KHL, then you should also count what Blankenburg did at Michigan. He was a top pair D and team captain on the most talented college team ever. There would have been a ton of buzz about teams trying to sign him, he would have been a big prize, but most folks just assumed that he couldn't play in the NHL at that size. What the 7 games did is put a dent in that theory.

Reactions: thebus88 and LJ7

KJ Dangler

Oct 21, 2006
Columbus
Except is usually does.

Except is usually does.

Unfortunately we as a people are influenced by recency bias … Like I said , Blankenburg may be good, but it was a super small sample size in meaningless games . At least with Carlson , he’s stepping in debuting in playoffs , and I posted just a small sample of Torts impressions , and how the media covered it . When we are discussing the bluejackets top prospects for our future , Blankenburg already 24, is probably not on my top 10. Different strokes for different folks though , we are all allowed to have our own thoughts , being that it’s a message board just putting context into my thoughts .

Reactions: thebus88

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad