HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects Ranking #26 (closed)

• S.Edvinsson - DET

• V.Kravtsov - NYR

• N.Robertson - TOR

• P.Broberg - EDM

• S.Pinto - OTT

• D.Guenther - ARI

• V.Podkolzin - VAN

• C.York - PHI

• A.Holtz - NJD

• G.Denisenko - FLA

• C.Sillinger - CLB

• T.Harley - DAL

• V.Heinola - WPG

• J.Quinn - BUF

• D.Mercer - NJD

• V.Soderstrom - ARI

• S.Jarvis - CAR

• P.Tomasino - NSH

• A.Kaliyev - LAK

• C.Addison - MIN

• K.Johnson - CLB

• D.Farrance - NSH

• M.Frost - PHI

• J.Berggren - DET

• other

Results are only viewable after voting.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
:HFB: TOP 50 PROSPECTS

Criteria is 22 and under, 30 NHL GP or less, no goalies

1. Trevor Zegras - C:ducks2. Moritz Seider - D:wings3. Quinton Byfield - C:kings
4. Cole Caufield - RW:habs5. Owen Power - D:sabres6. Jamie Drysdale - D:ducks
7. Bowen Byram - D:avs8. Anton Lundell - C:panthers9. Matty Beniers - C:seattle
10. Jake Sanderson - D:sens11. Lucas Raymond - LW:wings12. Matthew Boldy - LW:wild
13. Alex Newhook - C:avs14. William Eklund - LW:sharks15. Nils Lundkvist - D:rangers
16. Cole Perfetti - C:jets17. Marco Rossi - C:wild18. Peyton Krebs - C:vegas
19. Alex Turcotte - C:kings20. Luke Hughes - D:devils21. Evan Bouchard - D:edmonton
22. Mason McTavish - C:ducks23. Brandt Clarke - D:kings24. Dylan Holloway - C:edmonton
25. Connor McMichael - C:caps26.27.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
to add:

A.Alexeyev - WSH
C.Zary - CGY
B.Faber - LAK
PO Joseph - PIT
A.Formenton - OTT
T.Bordeleau - SJS
S.Perunovich - STL
N.Beaudin - CHI
T.Foerster - PHI
Bernard-Docker - OTT
I.Morozov - VGK
F.Lysell - BOS
R.Amirov - TOR
Y.Chinakhov - CLB
K.Marchenko - CLB
J.Pelletier - CGY
C.Lucius - WPG
L.Reichel - CHI
K.Guhle - MTL
JJ Peterka - BUF

past lists:
HFBoards TOP 75 Prospects Ranking #75 (FINAL) (2020)
HFBoards TOP 50 Prospects (2019)

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018

Can you explain to me why Kravtsov scores so little? He had a hot start for Traktor and then didn't score at all for most of the season. And he only scored 4 points in 20 games for the Rangers.

I could understand that his all-around impacts are substantial (if you say so) but at this point in the voting there are guys with superstar upside still on the board.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Can you explain to me why Kravtsov scores so little? He had a hot start for Traktor and then didn't score at all for most of the season. And he only scored 4 points in 20 games for the Rangers.

I could understand that his all-around impacts are substantial (if you say so) but at this point in the voting there are guys with superstar upside still on the board.
He led Traktor in goals this season at 21 years old despite missing nearly 1/4 of the season. His lack of production in the NHL was because he was playing almost exclusively on the 4th line with Brett Howden & Kevin Rooney with no PP time. Even with those garbage minutes he was comically unlucky, watch his first NHL game he was absolutely robbed of a gorgeous game winning goal in the final minute while falling down. Then his "first NHL goal" was called back after a coaches challenge for offside. Then there was a play where they wrongfully gave Zibanejad his assist, another one where he should've got rewarded an assist and didn't also.

If you go through GDT's you will see everyone saying how Kravtsov was our best player in the majority of the 20 games he played, excellent both offensively & defensively. He was regarded as the #1 NHL affiliated prospect by Craig Button and then he had a poor season because of being bounced around between the AHL & KHL. He is elite in every single attribute. Skating, Size, Shot (over 100MPH since age 19), Hands, IQ, Vision, Defense; he is the ideal hockey player.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
He led Traktor in goals this season at 21 years old despite missing nearly 1/4 of the season. His lack of production in the NHL was because he was playing almost exclusively on the 4th line with Brett Howden & Kevin Rooney with no PP time. Even with those garbage minutes he was comically unlucky, watch his first NHL game he was absolutely robbed of a gorgeous game winning goal in the final minute while falling down. Then his "first NHL goal" was called back after a coaches challenge for offside. Then there was a play where they wrongfully gave Zibanejad his assist, another one where he should've got rewarded an assist and didn't also.

If you go through GDT's you will see everyone saying how Kravtsov was our best player in the majority of the 20 games he played, excellent both offensively & defensively. He was regarded as the #1 NHL affiliated prospect by Craig Button and then he had a poor season because of being bounced around between the AHL & KHL. He is elite in every single attribute. Skating, Size, Shot (over 100MPH since age 19), Hands, IQ, Vision, Defense; he is the ideal hockey player.

Thanks. I watched the entirety of the first and third videos. I can buy it that he has an intriguing skillset. You can see he should be a strong defensive player too. This has upgraded my impression of the player.

I'm not sold yet on the finishing skill. There are some players that always end up looking unlucky because they have everything but finish, like Warren Foegele or a young Nick Foligno. Kravtsov will turn 22 at mid-season and has a modest scoring resume. Most of his goals for Traktor came in the first dozen or so games. He went very cold after that, and obviously didn't score much in the KHL or AHL level the year prior.

Reactions: EdJovanovski

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Guenther. Kravstov has not developed like a top-10 pick going into his what d+4 year. I'd rather have a guy who just recently went top-10.

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
These three guys from this draft:
  • Guenther
  • Johnson
  • Edvinsson
are clearly ahead of the rest imo

I would have said that 7 or 8 polls ago.

Krebs for example has made consistent progress, moving all the way up to having the same WHL scoring pace as Dylan Guenther who is 27 months younger than him.

Edvinsson is divisive but I happen to think he has some very big upside. And Johnson unquestionably has huge upside. He could be the next Pettersson, but here must wait to go until after the D+2 and D+3 guys who have made the long crawl up to eventually being second liners in the NHL.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
I would have said that 7 or 8 polls ago.

Krebs for example has made consistent progress, moving all the way up to having the same WHL scoring pace as Dylan Guenther who is 27 months younger than him.

Edvinsson is divisive but I happen to think he has some very big upside. And Johnson unquestionably has huge upside. He could be the next Pettersson, but here must wait to go until after the D+2 and D+3 guys who have made the long crawl up to eventually being second liners in the NHL.
Problem is that probably at least one, maybe even 2 of these 3 guys will have poor D+1 years, and will end out being busts. At least with the 2019 and 2020 picks we know what they've done for sure.

Look at how many top 10 picks from the 2017 draft already look bad.... Glass, Andersson, Rasmussen, even Patrick and Mittlestadt haven't broken out yet. And 2021 was not a deep draft at all.

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Problem is that probably at least one, maybe even 2 of these 3 guys will have poor D+1 years, and will end out being busts. At least with the 2019 and 2020 picks we know what they've done for sure.

Look at how many top 10 picks from the 2017 draft already look bad.... Glass, Andersson, Rasmussen, even Patrick and Mittlestadt haven't broken out yet. And 2021 was not a deep draft at all.

That's funny to me because my memory is that Glass and Mittlestadt rose up these rankings by making progress in their D+1 and D+2 seasons. They've still struggled greatly in trying to make the final leap to the NHL.

I expect some of Johnson, Guenther, Edvinsson, etc... to bust. But I'd rather have a 40% shot at the next Pettersson than an 80% shot at the next Brayden Schenn. You can get a 2C if you need one through other means but you've only got one way to get an elite forward. McMichael, Holloway, and Turcotte are all promising and they should be good players but you probably couldn't trade the lot of them for a Pettersson type player.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Just FYI, on the Sens board, we have considered Tim Stutzle (53 GP) and Josh Norris (59 GP) graduated due to the shortened season (they would have played more than 65 GP in a normal season). Well, same for Brannstrom (63 GP) but we kept him as a prospect since he doesn't have "officially" graduated with the team yet. Still has played too many games for your poll. He was voted #3 in the Sens board ranking. The others were :

1- Jake Sanderson (0 GP)
2- Shane Pinto (12 GP)
3- Erik Brännström (63 GP)
4- Tyler Boucher (0 GP)
5- Alex Formenton (30 GP)
6- Ridly Greig (0 GP)
7- Filip Gustavsson (9 GP)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (5 GP)
9- Egor Sokolov (0 GP)
10- Mads Sogaard (0 GP) vs Logan Brown (30 GP) : in a tie-breaker actually

So I guess 30 GP makes a guy still eligible, the way it is worded at least. All that being said to say that instead of JBD, you should add Tyler Boucher, Alex Formenton or Ridly Greig. I personally thought Boucher was voted too high and probably just because he was picked 10th OA. However, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Sens being "right again" on this kid despite what all these amateur scouts say, Formenton and Greig have proven much more and should be considered better prospects now. I was personally really impressed with Greig when I saw him play in the AHL at 18 y/o.

Your call but I think it should be Formenton or Greig instead of Bernard-Docker in your add options. If I'm not mistaken, I have seen several non-Ottawa fans talk about Greig already

Last edited:

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Just FYI, on the Sens board, we have considered Tim Stutzle (53 GP) and Josh Norris (59 GP) graduated due to the shortened season (they would have played more than 65 GP in a normal season). Well, same for Brannstrom (63 GP) but we kept him as a prospect since he doesn't have "officially" graduated with the team yet. Still has played too many games for your poll. He was voted #3 in the Sens board ranking. The others were :

1- Jake Sanderson (0 GP)
2- Shane Pinto (12 GP)
3- Erik Brännström (63 GP)
4- Tyler Boucher (0 GP)
5- Alex Formenton (30 GP)
6- Ridly Greig (0 GP)
7- Filip Gustavsson (9 GP)
8- Jacob Bernard-Docker (5 GP)
9- Egor Sokolov (0 GP)
10- Mads Sogaard (0 GP) vs Logan Brown (30 GP) : in a tie-breaker actually

So I guess 30 GP makes a guy still eligible, the way it is worded at least. All that being said to say that instead of JBD, you should add Tyler Boucher, Alex Formenton or Ridly Greig. I personally thought Boucher was voted too high and probably just because he was picked 10th OA. However, it wouldn't be surprising to see the Sens being "right again" on this kid despite what all these amateur scouts say, Formenton and Greig have proven much more and should be considered better prospects now. I was personally really impressed with Greig when I saw him play in the AHL at 18 y/o.

Your call but I think it should be Formenton or Greig instead of Bernard-Docker in your add options. If I'm not mistaken, I have seen several non-Ottawa fans talk about Greig already
Really curious to see how Formenton does in his first full season. I think a lot of people are sleeping on him. He's a seriously good player who could easily be a complementary top 6 guy IMO, and I think that's what he'll end up being.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Really curious to see how Formenton does in his first full season. I think a lot of people are sleeping on him. He's a seriously good player who could easily be a complementary top 6 guy IMO, and I think that's what he'll end up being.

Yeah, well Formenton is an ELITE skater. Like he wouldn't be shy to race against McDavid. His skating is flat out ridiculous

But his overall game is pretty strong too, obviously being a great skater should help you both ways (but it's not a guarantee, ask Mike Hoffman)

So he's pretty good defensively already with great physical implication, he creates havoc all over the ice. And is probably underrated offensively. Look at his AHL 20 y/o rookie season, he was 2nd in rookie scoring (behind Norris) and 7th OA (Norris 4th OA, Batherson 6th OA) in the league (27 goals in 61 GP). I saw some people saying they were taking these Sens prospects stats with a grain of salt but that's kinda ridiculous. The B-Sens have had one of the worst veteran support for years. Anything good was basically always on behalf of prospects.

Just to show his ridiculous speed (and also defensive awareness)

His AHL rookie season, gives an idea of how hard he is to contain and how many opportunities he creates for his linemates with his demon speed and net drive

Reactions: majormajor

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Yeah, well Formenton is an ELITE skater. Like he wouldn't be shy to race against McDavid. His skating is flat out ridiculous

But his overall game is pretty strong too, obviously being a great skater should help you both ways (but it's not a guarantee, ask Mike Hoffman)

So he's pretty good defensively already with great physical implication, he creates havoc all over the ice. And is probably underrated offensively. Look at his AHL 20 y/o rookie season, he was 2nd in rookie scoring (behind Norris) and 7th OA (Norris 4th OA, Batherson 6th OA) in the league (27 goals in 61 GP). I saw some people saying they were taking these Sens prospects stats with a grain of salt but that's kinda ridiculous. The B-Sens have had one of the worst veteran support for years. Anything good was basically always on behalf of prospects.

Just to show his ridiculous speed and good defensive awareness

The speed is ridiculous! Thanks for the response, kid is exciting, I took him on a risky pick in a dynasty draft a while ago and looking forward to seeing it hopefully pay off soon! Only issue is it'll be tough seeing him getting lot sof ice time with Tkachuk, Stutzle, and maybe even Paul ahead of him on the LW depth chart. Maybe they shift him to RW? Either way, hoping he gets put with a good passer and seeing him burn defenses for years to come :D

Reactions: Xspyrit

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The speed is ridiculous! Thanks for the response, kid is exciting, I took him on a risky pick in a dynasty draft a while ago and looking forward to seeing it hopefully pay off soon! Only issue is it'll be tough seeing him getting lot sof ice time with Tkachuk, Stutzle, and maybe even Paul ahead of him on the LW depth chart. Maybe they shift him to RW? Either way, hoping he gets put with a good passer and seeing him burn defenses for years to come :D

Yeah, he's really fun to watch, every AHL game I watched he was worth the admission price. The anxiety he brings to goalies and defenses is kinda hilarious

Formenton was voted #8th in the Sens pool last year (October 2020, after the draft), but there was a few people (knowledgeable posters, who have some real scouting/hockey experience) quite high on the kid. They were voting him as high as #4 before Josh Norris, Erik Brannstrom, Logan Brown and Jacob Bernard-Docker

He can also play RW so maybe he'll play a decent amount on that side next season with the difference of depth on each side. I think in his prime he'll be a 25/25 guy with really good defense.

Reactions: JohnLennon

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad