79366410038.0%
#5Leon Draisaitl23:edmonton
21.png
82505510530.9%
#6Mark Stone27:vegas
3.png
7733407332.6%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank hyperlinks direct to the corresponding voting thread.
Player hyperlinks direct to the corresponding player's hockey-reference.com page.

Suggested Additions:
Cam Atkinson (1)
Kyle Connor (1)
Evgenii Dadonov (1)
Filip Forsberg (1)
Mike Hoffman (1)
Patrik Laine (1)
Jonathan Marchessault (1)
Gustav Nyquist (1)
Zach Parise (1)
Joe Pavelski (1)
Jeff Skinner (1)
Reilly Smith (1)
Teuvo Teravainen (1)
Jakub Voracek (1)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
So 33 goal 73 point point Mark Stone is just under 50 goal 105 point Draisaitl when askin hfboards. 17 goal and 32 point difference is 1 position? And In a list of wingers who are supposed to provide offense as their main priority

Reactions: Treebeard

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
So 33 goal 73 point point Mark Stone is just under 50 goal 105 point Draisaitl when askin hfboards. 17 goal and 32 point difference is 1 position? And In a list of wingers who are supposed to provide offense as their main priority

One benefits heavily from playing with McDavid and one is arguably the best defensive winger in the league.

Reactions: stopclickbait

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Since converting to Wing, Giroux is 2nd in total points and 5th in points per game..while being very good defensively and still taking (and dominating) on faceoffs. He also kills penalties. It's Giroux. He should have been ahead of both Stone and Marchand as well, but I understand Marchand getting a recency bias bump after a 100 point season.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
One benefits heavily from playing with McDavid and one is arguably the best defensive winger in the league.

One had the only 50 goal 100+ point season in the league in the last 7 years and roughly doubles the productiveness of the best player in the NHL at 5 on 5...but you do you, boo.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Blake Wheeler is a better version of Stone, so it seems bizarre that he's going to fall further. I would also take Panarin and Marner over Giroux. We're talking this year, right? Not the last 5?

I hope Lee cracks the list.

EDIT: People are really complaining Drai over Stone? Crazy.

Larry Lightning

Aug 27, 2018
Tampa
His game is just as valuable as high point scorers, maybe even more so.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
Blake Wheeler is a better version of Stone, so it seems bizarre that he's going to fall further. I would also take Panarin and Marner over Giroux. We're talking this year, right? Not the last 5?

It's whoever you think is the best right now. If you want to value last season only, that's your prerogative. Personally, I value the last 2-3, increasing in value with recency.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
His game is just as valuable as high point scorers, maybe even more so.

Nah. There are 5 players on the ice, two of them play defense, center also plays mostly two ways. One player isnt doing all by himself defensively, Stones defensive aspect gets heavily overrated. It doesnt make up for a 20-30 point gap, winger has to be more effective to be top 10 than 73 points.

And the Mcdavid argument is ridiculous against draisaitl, nobody else has scored even close as many points playing with him

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver

Wheeler was similar but his 5v5 game has started to slip.

Also, Giroux is a year removed from finishing 2nd in scoring and was 2 points back of Panarin last year.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Nah. There are 5 players on the ice, two of them play defense, center also plays mostly two ways. One player isnt doing all by himself defensively, Stones defensive aspect gets heavily overrated. It doesnt make up for a 20-30 point gap, winger has to be more effective to be top 10 than 73 points.

And the Mcdavid argument is ridiculous against draisaitl, nobody else has scored even close as many points playing with him

Draisaitl hasn't shown to be much more than an average top 6 centre without him though. So there's that.

Merrrlin

Grab the 9 iron, Barry!
Jul 2, 2019
Wheeler was similar but his 5v5 game has started to slip.

Also, Giroux is a year removed from finishing 2nd in scoring and was 2 points back of Panarin last year.

I am going by the eye test - Panarin seems to be able to create scoring chances with worse linemates, and produce around the same level. I think now and going forward, he is better than Giroux. Purely subjective, so not a big deal.

Wheeler I think is just a better player, I don't see much of an argument. Many Jets seem to be getting underrated this offseason.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
While I will admit I generally underrate Mark Stone, him going that high is laughable to me. Mark Stone is apparently in the conversation for most overrated player by HFboards. Stone ahead of guys like Gaudreau, Panarin, Giroux, Pastrnak, Hall, Rantanen, Marner is ridiculous.

Add Filip Forsberg.

Reactions: Ryan Michaels

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018

Because everyone else who plays with him sucks.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto

Why do people act like last season is the only one that counts? don't act like there isn't way more context than that.

Playing dumb isn't a good way to argue.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Draisaitl hasn't shown to be much more than an average top 6 centre without him though. So there's that.

He has built chemistry with Mcdavid, Its a dumb argument to penalize any player playing with Mcdavid as If 50+50 would be an easy task. RNH is a decent player but cant do anything close to what drai is doing.

Not one winger has done that playing with Crosby or Malkin for example.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Why do people act like last season is the only one that counts? don't act like there isn't way more context than that.

Playing dumb isn't a good way to argue.

Whats dumb In giving most weight to the most recent season?

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
Whats dumb In giving most weight to the most recent season?

completely ignoring the context of playing with McDavid, Stone's playoffs, Stone switching teams, Stone's defensive play and both players seasons before comes across as just being a stat watcher.

I'd have Stone lower too but I'm not confused as to why Stone is up there... he's roughly a PPG 2 way winger without the benefit of elite teammates.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
He has built chemistry with Mcdavid, Its a dumb argument to penalize any player playing with Mcdavid as If 50+50 would be an easy task. RNH is a decent player but cant do anything close to what drai is doing.

Not one winger has done that playing with Crosby or Malkin for example.

I'm not taking anything away from Draisaitl, you have to be a talented player to put up the numbers he does; but if you're saying:

Player A is better than Player B because he puts up much more numbers.
Player A puts up league high type numbers when playing with Player C, however, without Player C, puts up less numbers than player B.
Player B puts up big numbers irregardless of where he plays and who he plays with, and is considered the best defensive player in his position in the league.

It's not penalizing, it's simply stating the fact that Draisaitl, away from the best player on the planet, hasn't been a top player in this league. Like, it's not even close.
You're talking about a guy who plays about 66% of the time with McDavid, while with him, he has 41 goals, and 46 assists. Without him, he has 9 goals, 9 assists.
That's a ridiculous 2 to 1 drop off. Now a lot has to do with PP too, but that's an absurd dropoff even if he were to drop the with numbers by 40%.

blinds

Jan 5, 2012
Wow is Stone overrated all of a sudden. Career high of 72 points over a guy that put up 102 and is very good defensively.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
Stone led the league in GAR last season...

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
Johnny Gaudreau leads all left wingers in ES production since he entered the league (by a whopping 20 points) - only Kane, Kucherov, and Crosby have put up more ES points than him since 14-15.

Insane how underrated he continues to be. Probably has to do with a 5v5 on ice sh% of 3.1% in the last 2 playoff series he's played.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad