Who is the 18th best winger in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
View attachment 251367

In terms of play driving, they were about equal on the defensive side of things and Meier was significantly better on the offensive side of things.

I'm also guessing you're pulling your data from NHL.com, which counts empty net situations as "even strength". Tkachuk scored 4 points with an empty net and 7 points against an empty net, where as Meier only scored 2 points with an empty net and 4 points against an empty net. Drop those empty net points from each player's stats, and use true even strength situations, and Meier has 49 even strength points while Tkachuk has 42.

Or, look at just 5-on-5, where Meier had 47 points and Tkachuk had 41. That is a 15% difference.

And if you still think there's any argument, take a look at how how they each fared in the playoffs.

Meier doesnt have enough of a track record to put top 20. top 30 would be fine though

Also whenever anyone posts a graph I immediately want to not agree with you. Analytics are not a good tool to value the best players in the game, decent tool for mid range and depth players but the best players should be determined through the impact that can only be measured by watching

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Meier doesnt have enough of a track record to put top 20. top 30 would be fine though

Also whenever anyone posts a graph I immediately want to not agree with you. Analytics are not a good tool to value the best players in the game, decent tool for mid range and depth players but the best players should be determined through the impact that can only be measured by watching

I’m fine with an argument for track record, since Tkachuk is younger and he had been better than Meier in the two seasons before this one. But the idea that nobody on this list has ever had a better season than Tkachuk just did on both sides of the puck is just wrong. (Even aside from Meier, Forsberg has also had multiple seasons better than Tkachuk’s.)

You are totally wrong on analytics BTW. They are an excellent tool to rate the best players in the game, and without them, star players like Patrice Bergeron and Mark Stone would never get the respect that they deserve.

I also highly doubt you’ve watched more of both players than I have. And just from my viewings of both of them this season, I’m very confident that Meier is superior.

NetflixandPhil

May 7, 2016
I’m fine with an argument for track record, since Tkachuk is younger and he had been better than Meier in the two seasons before this one. But the idea that nobody on this list has ever had a better season than Tkachuk just did on both sides of the puck is just wrong. (Even aside from Meier, Forsberg has also had multiple seasons better than Tkachuk’s.)

You are totally wrong on analytics BTW. They are an excellent tool to rate the best players in the game, and without them, star players like Patrice Bergeron and Mark Stone would never get the respect that they deserve.

I also highly doubt you’ve watched more of both players than I have. And just from my viewings of both of them this season, I’m very confident that Meier is superior.

I think players like Bergeron and Stone would get respect with or without XGF. Both have been among the best defensive forwards in the league and it doesnt take much time watching them to see why.

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Forsberg shouldnt be beating Kessel

he was on pace for only 64 pts, meanwhile Kessel put up 82 pts NOT playing with Sid or Geno 5 on 5

and people shouldnt be able to change their votes. Most tend to do so after they see who the leaders are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad