HFBoards Top 31 NHL Defenders - #11

Who is the 11th best defender in the NHL?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taluss

Jul 28, 2018
NYC
Yikes I wouldn't take PK here. I'd have him a spot or 2 down for sure. Suprised hes winning

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
was injured, its one off year.... it happened to Carlson, Pietro, Weber.... hell does it even make sense to have Giordano this high after one career year?

Usually MOST players (not all) don't have a down year at 30, it's usually a start of decline.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
again, he was injured, missed 19 games. Season before had 59 pts..... I mean, Doughty had a bad year last season at age 29 and hes #3. Is he declining?
Maybe he is. But Doughty also plays about 10x better defense than PK so..

amnesiac

Space Oddity
Jul 10, 2010
Montreal
Maybe he is. But Doughty also plays about 10x better defense than PK so..
for sure, I have no problem with Doughty being #3 either, but therefore I dont think PK (or any good dman) should fall so low after one bad season. I mean he had 12P in 18GP before his injury in November, 19P in 55GP after. Its clear he wasnt the same.

Carlson had a 37 point season 3 years ago, everybody wrote him off, came back with 68 and 70 point seasons after. No reason to think PK couldnt do that as well.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
for sure, I have no problem with Doughty being #3 either, but therefore I dont think PK (or any good dman) should fall so low after one bad season. I mean he had 12P in 18GP before his injury in November, 19P in 55GP after. Its clear he wasnt the same.

Carlson had a 37 point season 3 years ago, everybody wrote him off, came back with 68 and 70 point seasons after. No reason to think PK couldnt do that as well.

Well, PK is a few years older than Carlson was. PK also plays a much more physical game than Carlson which is going to take more of a toll on his body.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Well, PK is a few years older than Carlson was. PK also plays a much more physical game than Carlson which is going to take more of a toll on his body.

It's a really good point but I feel like it's important to be very wary of writing guys with so much track record off after one--especially an explainable--down season.

No one dropped EK, Doughty, or several others. PK might not be that tier, but he's got enough history that suggests this was an exception rather than the norm. I'm with @amnesiac on this one, I'd be hesitant to project a downfall.

LT

Global Moderator
Jul 23, 2010
It's a really good point but I feel like it's important to be very wary of writing guys with so much track record off after one--especially an explainable--down season.

No one dropped EK, Doughty, or several others. PK might not be that tier, but he's got enough history that suggests this was an exception rather than the norm. I'm with @amnesiac on this one, I'd be hesitant to project a downfall.

I agree. PK and Jamie Benn have the same thing going on right now. Still remains to be seen what’s gonna happen for them in the future.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This has honestly boggled my mind for years. I swear even after Letang's 2016 season, I saw people on HF rating Josi ahead of him.

I think Letang's problem is his games played. Since 2012 he's played more then 51 games in only 4 of 8 seasons, and only twice did he go over 70. That's even worst than Malkin.

What's worst - in his only close to full season in that stretch (79 games a year ago) - it was actually a bad season for him.

I think if he played full healthy seasons he'd have a strong case for top 5 - it's just a bit hard to separate with all the injuries.

I do agree about Josi being way overrated around here though.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad