8247418828.2%,46.3%(TB)
#10Steven Stamkos29:bolts
3.png
8245539823.6%
#11Jack Eichel22:sabres
6.png
7728548222.7%
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank hyperlinks direct to the corresponding voting thread.
Player hyperlinks direct to the corresponding player's hockey-reference.com page.

Suggested Additions:
Brayden Schenn (1)
Bo Horvat (1)
Paul Stastny (1)
Nico Hischier (1)
Pierre Luc-Dubois (1)
Elias Lindholm (1)
David Krejci (1)
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins (1)
Sam Reinhart (1)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Love

Feb 29, 2012
The fact that Point hasn’t gone yet completely disregards any credibility of this list.

If Point played for any other team he doesn’t get anywhere near 90 points last season and he was lucky to even get over 90 last season due to a ludicrous shooting percentage.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
If Point played for any other team he doesn’t get anywhere near 90 points last season and he was lucky to even get over 90 last season due to a ludicrous shooting percentage.

I still can’t believe Stamkos went over him when Tampa fans literally had their own poll and ranked Point higher.

Reactions: J T Money

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Y'all really voted Eichel ahead of Couturier, O'Reilly, Aho and Point? Embarrassing.

I'm honestly very surprised you think Aho > Eichel, the majority of his advanced stats last season were not great, and the incredible shot control and transition of the defense he plays with (Hamilton etc) inflates his expected goals total.

I would easily take Eichel over Aho.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I'm honestly very surprised you think Aho > Eichel, the majority of his advanced stats last season were not great, and the incredible shot control and transition of the defense he plays with (Hamilton etc) inflates his expected goals total.

Eichel clearly didnt get any help from 40 goal Skinner and one of the best 18yo rookie D seasons In recent history Dahlin?

Only aho is supported, Eichel does all by himself what an incredible player wow

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Eichel clearly didnt get any help from 40 goal Skinner and one of the best 18yo rookie D seasons In recent history Dahlin?

Only aho is supported, Eichel does all by himself what an incredible player wow

Carolina and San Jose's possession numbers and expected goals were so much better than every other team in the league because of their respective bluelines, it's not unreasonable to be sketched out and question how much the impact of the defense's transition and neutral zone play had on the forwards.

Reactions: Stewie Griffin

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Point not in the top-10 is a joke. Plays a 200-foot game and is deadly in the offensive zone.

Look at his season a year ago vs last year. There was a huge jump. And unlike guys like Mack or Matthews who are first overall picks who you expect to see a jump in play - with Point it was a bit more unexpected.

I didnt vote for Point top 10 and not sure about voting for him now either. Its not that he doesnt play as good/better than some of these guys last season its just lack of track record. I think if he repeats last years performances he'll see a significant jump.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic

I might be too harsh on him. At his best Eichel is definitely top 10, but he doesn't show that level often enough.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
Carolina and San Jose's possession numbers and expected goals were so much better than every other team in the league because of their respective bluelines, it's not unreasonable to be sketched out and question how much the impact of the defense's transition and neutral zone play had on the forwards.

Do you think their best forward gets no credit from their success, only their defense? Aho was 10th in Hart voting, Eichel wasn't even voted once. Aho was also 12th in Selke voting, Eichel wasn't mentioned.

Eichel played only 40 minutes SH, Aho played over twice as much yet Eichel avaraged more icetime per game than Aho did. If Eichel was so good, he would play at least same amount of SH as Aho does since their production is similar.

Last edited:

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Do you think their best forward gets no credit from their success, only their defense? Aho was 10th in Hart voting, Eichel wasn't even voted once. Aho was also 12th in Selke voting, Eichel wasn't mentioned.

Eichel played only 40 minutes SH, Aho played over twice as much yet Eichel avaraged more icetime per game than Aho did. If Eichel was so good, he would play at least same amount of SH as Aho does since their production is similar.

This was Aho's first year at center. He is a very good player, but not to the extent some people believe in my opinion. HockeyViz and RAPM both show he struggled defensively this year, he didn't produce at the level many elite centers did at 5v5 (1.46 p1/60), his PDO was over 100, his relative expected goals on the 2nd best possession team were average and HockeyViz also reveals he wasn't facing the majority of harder competition that many top centers like Barkov and McDavid are consistently matched against (Staal was Brind'Amour's matchup center), and still struggled.

I like Aho. He's a very good player, and he should improve as he continues to have seasons at center, because in his defense, his was only his first season at the position. It just genuinely surprises me that despite him struggling both offensively and defensively this season in his first year of center despite playing on an almost historically good possession team that a lot of people are now saying he's among the elite centers in the league. He absolutely can be eventually, but I stand by that he's not there yet in my opinion.

There are also plenty of great centers in the league that don't play on the penalty kill (Matthews, MacKinnon etc).

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
This was Aho's first year at center. He is a very good player, but not to the extent some people believe in my opinion. HockeyViz and RAPM both show he struggled defensively this year, he didn't produce at the level many elite centers did at 5v5 (1.46 p1/60), his PDO was over 100, his relative expected goals on the 2nd best possession team were average and HockeyViz also reveals he wasn't facing the majority of harder competition that many top centers like Barkov and McDavid are consistently matched against (Staal was Brind'Amour's matchup center), and still struggled.

I like Aho. He's a very good player, and he should improve as he continues to have seasons at center, because in his defense, his was only his first season at the position. It just genuinely surprises me that despite him struggling both offensively and defensively this season in his first year of center despite playing on an almost historically good possession team that a lot of people are now saying he's among the elite centers in the league. He absolutely can be eventually, but I stand by that he's not there yet in my opinion.

There are also plenty of great centers in the league that don't play on the penalty kill (Matthews, MacKinnon etc).

Why is the chart also counting the 17-18 season when he played wing?

Can we see in comparison only the 18-19 season and then also Eichels?

NotLeddy

Trust the Yzerscam
Oct 23, 2018
Why is the chart also counting the 17-18 season when he played wing?

Can we see in comparison only the 18-19 season and then also Eichels?

I've seen both of their charts from this season and Eichel is no defensive dynamo in his own right, but he was better than Aho in defensive impact this year. I messaged Micah on Twitter asking to see them so when he responds I can post them here. (I've heard he'll send you charts if you message him on Twitter for them so let's see, lol!)

RAPM has Aho struggling more this year when he was a full time center than when he was on the wing, which is fair, it's a much tougher position with more responsibility (I'm not a big fan of it personally, I think too many people use it the wrong way and put too much stock into it because it's the most accessible, and I question its accuracy sometimes). Regardless, he's only going to get better.

Zamuz

Oct 27, 2011
Finland
I've seen both of their charts from this season and Eichel is no defensive dynamo in his own right, but he was better than Aho in defensive impact this year. I messaged Micah on Twitter asking to see them so when he responds I can post them here. (I've heard he'll send you charts if you message him on Twitter for them so let's see, lol!)

RAPM has Aho struggling more this year when he was a full time center than when he was on the wing, which is fair, it's a much tougher position with more responsibility (I'm not a big fan of it personally, I think too many people use it the wrong way and put too much stock into it because it's the most accessible, and I question its accuracy sometimes). Regardless, he's only going to get better.

I think people put too much weight on advanced stats, especially if the stats show that Eichel is better defensively... is very questionable since I have watched both and Aho is lightyears better defensively than Eichel.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
I think people put too much weight on advanced stats, especially if the stats show that Eichel is better defensively... is very questionable since I have watched both and Aho is lightyears better defensively than Eichel.
Have you watched them both specifically (as in focusing only on them) for an extended period of time (say, 40+ games)? If the answer is no then your watching really doesn't matter for evaluation.

um

Sep 4, 2008
toronto
I still can’t believe Stamkos went over him when Tampa fans literally had their own poll and ranked Point higher.

Barzal was better than Tavares last season... these break out seasons don't always last.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014

That's not his entire value. After Bergeron and Barkov he is probably the best two-way center in the league.

Aladyyn

Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
That's not his entire value. After Bergeron and Barkov he is probably the best two-way center in the league.
The best two way centers are McDavid and Crosby, since these are the best centers and there are only two ways in hockey.

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
The best two way centers are McDavid and Crosby, since these are the best centers and there are only two ways in hockey.

So you mean that McDavid is the best at playing both ways? not just one way?

Iceman

Jun 9, 2014
In total he is, yeah. That's why he's the consensus best.

Okay, I'll just continue to use two-way player as a way to describe a player who excels at the defensive part of the game as well, just like the general public. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad