HFBoards TOP 15 Goalie Prospects #5 CLOSED

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Parsons arguably just had the best Calendar year by a Juniour goalie, ever... Button ranked him as the top goalie prospect in the world and he actually watches people play. Not to mention probably one of the two best goaltending performance at the WJC in the 20+ years I've been watching that tourney (Mrazek the other). But sure, let's ignore what just happened.

I've heard several scouts/media say he's better than Jon Gibson at the same age...

Great for him. The best goalie two seasons ago in the second best league in the world was Sorokin, and the best goalie last season in the second best league in the world was Shestyorkin.

What Parsons does doesn't really compare.

Goalies always post ridiculous #s in the KHL. Bigger ice, pro defences. Those lead to low scoring games in the KHL. Plus all of Sorokin, Samsonov and Shesterkin play on by far the best teams in Russia. So anyone using the Knights/team argument should be using that against those guys too.

Shestyorkin posted a .938 at the 2015 WJC.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
Its not like Sorokin has a bad team... CSKA was first last year iirc. Shesty faced higher shots per game and put up better stats. Sorokin only has size on him but Shesty is much more athletic. Both will be great but honestly I cant see an argument for Sorokin. "Shesty has a great team around him and that helps his stats" also shows how much you watch him. SKA's defense really isn't anything special, its not like Shesty takes shots to the logo for the whole game, he has to make a lot of crazy saves

Sorokin's very good, its not like he's bad, but he's always been a little behind Shestyorkin. His club team let him play a year earlier, which got him some earlier hype, but Shestyorkin's play at the same levels has always been a little better. Its easy to jump on the first bandwagon you know of.

Strait2thecup

Sep 1, 2016
Sorokin's very good, its not like he's bad, but he's always been a little behind Shestyorkin. His club team let him play a year earlier, which got him some earlier hype, but Shestyorkin's play at the same levels has always been a little better. Its easy to jump on the first bandwagon you know of.

This is false. Sorokin two seasons ago season was significantly better than shests season last year. I'm not gonna pretend I watch them both a ton but it seems like the difference is negligabe

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
Great for him. The best goalie two seasons ago in the second best league in the world was Sorokin, and the best goalie last season in the second best league in the world was Shestyorkin.

What Parsons does doesn't really compare.

Shestyorkin posted a .938 at the 2015 WJC.

How is he supposed to compare? He's had the best Juniour calendar year maybe ever... it's not his fault he plays in North America.

Also, Your assumption is that goalies who play in the KHL face harder situations. Which isn't true. They plays in front of professional defencemen in a professional defensive system.

Junior hockey is much more wide open. Grade A scoring chances are much more common and games are much higher scoring. So assuming that playing goalie is harder in the KHL is just wrong IMO. Especially on teams like SKA that give up 4-5 scoring chances per game.

For position players, absolutely playing in a harder league is a positive sign. With goalies it's not nearly that cut n dry.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
This is false. Sorokin two seasons ago season was significantly better than shests season last year. I'm not gonna pretend I watch them both a ton but it seems like the difference is negligabe

Not what I said. Try reading again.

And I agree there's a negligible difference.

Pavel Buchnevich

Dec 8, 2013
New York
How is he supposed to compare? He's had the best Juniour calendar year maybe ever... it's not his fault he plays in North America.

Also, Your assumption is that goalies who play in the KHL face harder situations. Which isn't true. They plays in front of professional defencemen in a professional defensive system.

Junior hockey is much more wide open. Grade A scoring chances are much more common and games are much higher scoring. So assuming that playing goalie is harder in the KHL is just wrong IMO. Especially on teams like SKA that give up 4-5 scoring chances per game.

For position players, absolutely playing in a harder league is a positive sign. With goalies it's not nearly that cut n dry.

It is his choice where he plays. He doesn't need to play in such an inferior league, and if he's so good, why doesn't he play in the NHL? Sorokin and Shestyorkin both would've been in the NHL like Saros last year, if they were on NA contracts.

You are probably right that the situations in professional hockey are easier, but its also much tougher competition, so I think you need to consider that before you consider the structure within the hockey. Parsons has way more of an advantage due to flat out being so much better than his competition than guys playing against the best NHL rejects and the best non-NHL Russians.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
You do realize that Carter Hart will likely be DiPietro's backup at the WJC, right? I think that speaks volumes of how he played in big games this year. I'll take the guy that's 9-1 in elimination games.

How about we wait and see how that plays out.

After all, Parsons is a year older than Hart.

Oh, and if our former CHL Goalie of The Year falters, at least the Flyers have the reigning WJC Best Goalie too.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
My top 5 would likely be

Samsanov
Sarros
Sorokin
Parsons
Shesterkin

Hart, Gillies and Demko battle out the next few spots, not necessarily in that order

Irishguy42

Mr. Preachy
Sep 11, 2015
NJ
Yeah.

Why these rankings aren't always great.

I prefer Sorokin over Shestyorkin btw, Shesty has a great team around him and that helps his stats.

You should watch how awful SKA is defensively. The only stat that is bolstered by the team he plays on is the win column, and even then, he steals a bunch of games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad