HFBoards Team USA 2020: 1C

Who SHOULD be Team USA’s 1C?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Matthews is one of the best goal scorers in the league and you think he wouldn't work with one of the best playmaking wingers in the league?

I don’t know where you got that from. Didn’t say that. “Fits slightly better” is a lot different from “wouldn’t work”.

DeBrincat has an insane shot and is one of the best goal scorers in the league, and he knows Kane’s game. Wanted to pair him with Kane for that reason, who himself has serious goal scoring ability. So I gave two lethal goal scorers the guy in Eichel who I think is the better playmaker, slightly stronger skater/ transition option, and better wall play/200ft upside. Kane creating from his office on the RW also works well with Eichel’s right-handedness, and vice versa when Eichel is carrying the puck in the middle of the ice.

Frees up Matthews to play with a separate premier pure passer in Wheeler, which fits nicely.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I don’t know where you got that from. Didn’t say that. “Fits slightly better” is a lot different from “wouldn’t work”.

DeBrincat has an insane shot and is one of the best goal scorers in the league, and he knows Kane’s game. Wanted to pair him with Kane for that reason, who himself has serious goal scoring ability. So I gave two lethal goal scorers the guy in Eichel who I think is the better playmaker, slightly stronger skater/ transition option, and better wall play/200ft upside. Kane creating from his office on the RW also works well with Eichel’s right-handedness, and vice versa when Eichel is carrying the puck in the middle of the ice.

Frees up Matthews to play with a separate premier pure passer in Wheeler, which fits nicely.

I agree with you on Eichel-Kane, though I think Gaudreau might be the better fit for Matthews, who is much better than Monahan but is similar in where he scores his goals. Then Wheeler can play on more of a two-way line with Larkin

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility

That's fair actually. Sorry.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I agree with you on Eichel-Kane, though I think Gaudreau might be the better fit for Matthews, who is much better than Monahan but is similar in where he scores his goals. Then Wheeler can play on more of a two-way line with Larkin

went back and forth on that quite a bit. I think Gaudreau is a better linemate for Matthews, (like very close to the perfect winger for him) but imo can also do more away from AM than Wheeler could. Matthews-Wheeler should still be very effective, and that way the 3rd line is more dynamic with Gaudreau.

I don’t think you can really go wrong either way though. Certainly tough.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
went back and forth on that quite a bit. I think Gaudreau is a better linemate for Matthews, (like very close to the perfect winger for him) but imo can also do more away from AM than Wheeler could. Matthews-Wheeler should still be very effective, and that way the 3rd line is more dynamic with Gaudreau.

I don’t think you can really go wrong either way though. Certainly tough.

Fair enough. Lots of ways to go with the lineups here as there's a lot of good potential duos but they don't all fit neatly as full lines. A coach would probably play with things to see what works, as long as the players are there as there's probably only a couple spots up for grabs (I would assume Kane, Matthews, Eichel, Gaudreau, Wheeler, Larkin, Tkachuk, and probably Atkinson, Trocheck and Oshie would be easy picks for the roster)

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Fair enough. Lots of ways to go with the lineups here as there's a lot of good potential duos but they don't all fit neatly as full lines. A coach would probably play with things to see what works, as long as the players are there as there's probably only a couple spots up for grabs (I would assume Kane, Matthews, Eichel, Gaudreau, Wheeler, Larkin, Tkachuk, and probably Atkinson, Trocheck and Oshie would be easy picks for the roster)

Depends - are there shootouts in this tournament?

kooner91

Apr 13, 2014
Debrincat-Eichel-Kane
Gaudreau-Matthews-Wheeler
Tkachuk-Larkin-Boeser
Connor-Stastny-Kessel
Pacioretty, Trochek, Atkinson

Werenski-Jones
Slavin-Carlson
Suter-McAvoy
McDonagh, Trouba

Gibson
Bishop
Hellebuyck

As a Canadian, that's a scary team to verse. I still think they are a bit behind due to less offensive depth, but they are inching closer every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad