HFBoards NHL All-Time Draft, Take 2

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Good afternoon folks. About 2 years ago, I decided I wanted to conduct an "All-Time Draft" across the HFBoards, going to each forum in turn for their respective team's pick. I recently got the thought in my head to re-do the draft & see how things change, so without further ado:

1. Every team gets a single pick per round, and the draft order follows the standings as of 5/1/2022 (the final day of the regular season). So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2022 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. This will be considered a 2-round "snake draft", meaning each team will have 2 total selections, and that the draft order will be reversed in round 2. So Montreal will pick 1 & 64, Arizona 2 & 63, etc.
3. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). This also includes players like Vladislav Tretiak who never had an NHL career but are hockey legends in their own right. All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible.
4. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr.
5. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft.
6. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant).
7. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
8. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll.
9. Please check the below post before voting for a player, as it's possible they have already been taken. And remember again, active players are ineligible.
10. If you are trolling, I will ignore your vote. Don't be that guy. *

*Note: This rule was added after the Canes board tried to vote for Chad Larose in the last go-round. Twice.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some possible resources to help out:

Last time's results: HF-Boards All-time draft Results (2 rounds)
All Time Draft Board's 2022 Draft Thread: ATD 2022 Draft Thread III (new voting results in post 699)
History of Hockey Board's Top 200 All Time: Top-200 Hockey Players of All-Time
NHL website's Top 100 players: 100 Greatest NHL Players
Hockey-Reference Era-Adjusted Points leaders: NHL & WHA Career Leaders and Records for Adjusted Points | Hockey-Reference.com

ROUND 1:
1. Montreal Canadiens- C Mario Lemieux
2. Arizona Coyotes- C Wayne Gretzky
3. Seattle Kraken- D Bobby Orr
4. Philadelphia Flyers- RW Gordie Howe
5. New Jersey Devils- D Nicklas Lidstrom
6. Chicago Blackhawks- C Eric Lindros
7. Ottawa Senators- G Dominik Hasek
8. Detroit Red Wings- ON THE CLOCK
9. Buffalo Sabres-
10. Anaheim Ducks-
11. San Jose Sharks-
12. Columbus Blue Jackets-
13. New York Islanders-
14. Winnipeg Jets-
15. Vancouver Canucks-
16. Vegas Golden Knights-
17. Nashville Predators-
18. Dallas Stars-
19. Los Angeles Kings-
20. Washington Capitals-
21. Pittsburgh Penguins-
22. Edmonton Oilers-
23. Boston Bruins-
24. St. Louis Blues-
25. Tampa Bay Lightning-
26. New York Rangers-
27. Calgary Flames-
28. Minnesota Wild-
29. Toronto Maple Leafs-
30. Carolina Hurricanes-
31. Colorado Avalanche-
32. Florida Panthers-

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Voting:
I'll update this comment as each new vote comes in, but I can only count it if it's a single player vote (so not "Shore or Harvey" for example). If you're changing your vote later on, that's fine, just make a note of it. I apologize in advance if I am delayed in adding your vote, I am now working full-time so have much less free time on my hands
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Jaromir Jagr (1?) - izlez
Steve Yzerman (10) - Electric Eric, Realgud, 14Ari13, Bench, Martinez, Ricelund, His Noodliness, Henkka, Hen Kolland, Oddbob
Jean Beliveau (2) - Cyborg Yzerborg, The Zetterberg Era
Cyclone Taylor (1) - NervousPerson

Last edited:

izlez

We need more toe-drags/60
Feb 28, 2012
Love to see Lidstrom at #5.

With Lidstrom off the board, I'll take Bourque.

Honestly, I'd be tempted to go with McDavid.
No active players.

Jaromir Jagr? But I guess you are not guaranteed his longevity...

Screwed by the draft lottery AGAIN. Feels like maybe this should be someone who played way long ago that I can't really comment on or maybe there was another guy like Lindros who's career that was cut way too short that I'm not thinking of

Reactions: UnSandvich

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
No active players.

Jaromir Jagr? But I guess you are not guaranteed his longevity...

Screwed by the draft lottery AGAIN. Feels like maybe this should be someone who played way long ago that I can't really comment on or maybe there was another guy like Lindros who's career that was cut way too short that I'm not thinking of

In terms of an all-time great whos career was cut short, Howie Morenz is probably the biggest name (even if he was only 5'9). He passed at 34 of complications from a broken leg. History of Hockey board has him as the 11th best player of all time as of their last ranking.

(That said their 5-10 are also still on the board)

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Why did the Hawks fans jump on grabbing Lindros? There's like... a dozen names off the top of my head I'd grab first. Probably way more.

Anyway, I'll throw my hat in for Yzerman. We're the Wings and this is fantasy land. Let's just do that.

If I removed all bias, Ray Bourque is probably my pick. Then Roy, Brodeur, and Jagr.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I’m going to have to think about this one. My heart says Yzerman, but there are a ton of players worth consideration.

But the fact that we are talking about Yzerman with the potential to not have his body breakdown on him? That’s gotta be the pick

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Why did the Hawks fans jump on grabbing Lindros? There's like... a dozen names off the top of my head I'd grab first. Probably way more.

Anyway, I'll throw my hat in for Yzerman. We're the Wings and this is fantasy land. Let's just do that.

If I removed all bias, Ray Bourque is probably my pick. Then Roy, Brodeur, and Jagr.

Because they probably took Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant) to mean that you'd be guaranteed a fully healthy Lindros. Because a Lindros that isn't plagued by injuries would be an absolute nightmare.

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Because they probably took Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant) to mean that you'd be guaranteed a fully healthy Lindros. Because a Lindros that isn't plagued by injuries would be an absolute nightmare.

Yeah. The rule is there so that people won't necessarily shy away from a Bossy, Bure, Morenz, Lindros, Kharlamov, etc. if they think said player is truly the best on the board.

(Hell though, if you're thinking of a fully healthy Lindros would be excellent, imagine Bobby Orr with a functioning left knee)

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The hardest part about this is trying to view players through the lens of their era being insignificant. Injury history is easy to erase in your mind, but it’s hard to take Maurice Richard and put him against someone like Teemu Selanne and say they just are unaffected by the era.

Reactions: simonedvinsson

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease

I dunno I still don't think he's that high up. Because there's quite a few others that shoot up as well with that stipulation.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad