OT: HFBoards New Cookie Controls

RattsSSV

Слава Україні - F*** Putin
May 4, 2006
We value your privacy...

HFBoards has new cookie controls yet doesn't allow us to reject all which is against the GDPR (European digital privacy standard). For those interested.

I went through the purposes and partners list and unchecked the consent for each tab then clicked save and exit. While tedious, I value my privacy. To my surprise, when I opened a new page I was hit with the same cookie controls telling me we value your privacy but to accept all. Every new page, the same thing.

I've been a shitposter on here for ages and really enjoy watching games and talking shit but I can't get passed this f***ing bullshit. I'm at an impasse, accept all or say f*** it and go on reddit.
Obviously me wtiting this out tells you I say f*** it.

Peace and love, let's go Oilers, and f*** Mark Spector.

Paralyzer

Hyman >>> Matthews
Sep 29, 2006
Somewhere Up North
We value your privacy...

HFBoards has new cookie controls yet doesn't allow us to reject all which is against the GDPR (European digital privacy standard). For those interested.

I went through the purposes and partners list and unchecked the consent for each tab then clicked save and exit. While tedious, I value my privacy. To my surprise, when I opened a new page I was hit with the same cookie controls telling me we value your privacy but to accept all. Every new page, the same thing.

I've been a shitposter on here for ages and really enjoy watching games and talking shit but I can't get passed this f***ing bullshit. I'm at an impasse, accept all or say f*** it and go on reddit.

74d40f0228d41b2523da3ae53d8b3db0.gif

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
We value your privacy...

Sadly we’re all for sale to some degree when we are on these free sites. I too usually check as many boxes to avoid my data being used and sold as much as possible. I appreciate you informing us.

Another reason to add to those posted last week, that this might be a place to jump ship from. Will have to evaluate.

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Use a Linux Distro
Install ungoogled Chromium / Brave browser
Install Ublock Origin
Install Decenteraleyes
Install https everywhere
Use NoScript in you browser
Use a cookie autodeleter
If you have a raspberry Pi, connect it to your network, install pi hole, it will block unwanted connections for your entire network when configured properly

Even then, not perfect. The only way to fully protect yourself is to not be connected at all. Not realistic these days.

Oh and stop using google anything. No mail, no services, nothing. If you have to, use a burner that has no personal info on it. If you have to use internet, use a VPN. but be warned, just because a lot of them say they don't track or store info, there is no 100% guarantee they don't.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Use a Linux Distro
Install Ublock Origin
Install Decenteraleyes
Install https everywhere
Use a cookie autodeleter
If you have a raspberry Pi, connect it to your network, install pi hole, it will block unwanted connections for your entire network when configured properly

Even then, not perfect. The only way to fully protect yourself is to not be connected at all. Not realistic these days.

Oh and stop using google anything. No mail, no services, nothing. If you have to, use a burner that has no personal info on it. If you have to use internet, use a VPN. but be warned, just because a lot of them say they don't track or store info, there is no 100% guarantee they don't.
So we need this to post here now?

1675359235609.jpeg

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011
Use a Linux Distro
Install Ublock Origin
Install Decenteraleyes
Install https everywhere
Use a cookie autodeleter

Indeed, no reason to since there are much better alternatives (would be nice to have a viable third smart phone option though…)

Cookies thing is annoying in general, I find some I accidentally fat-finger accept all when trying to click “manage”.

I’ve also noticed ad blocking not getting around HF’s notice lately (again) so back to intrusive ads or paying for a place that uses Trollstomper as a mask for some vindictive moderation

Also @RattsSSV sorry to see you go, all the best! I don’t post on Reddit much but that might change if this place becomes unusable

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Indeed, no reason to since there are much better alternatives (would be nice to have a viable third smart phone option though…)

Cookies thing is annoying in general, I find some I accidentally fat-finger accept all when trying to click “manage”.

I’ve also noticed ad blocking not getting around HF’s notice lately (again) so back to intrusive ads or paying for a place that uses Trollstomper as a mask for some vindictive moderation

Also @RattsSSV sorry to see you go, all the best! I don’t post on Reddit much but that might change if this place becomes unusable
Stomper introduced a level of moderation infraction here that is not subject to feedback. Used to be as a mod here if you gave somebody an infraction many times you were getting inbox messages from that poster. Sometimes harassment. But the general expectation was you were made to explain infractions that were in any way judgement calls. Now this is not required. There is not the same accountability now.

Now I am sympathetic to there being a level of protection of mods from abuse as i've been one, but since a few of the boards foremost managers passed away it seems like theres less checks and balances of any kind on thresholds for infractions and how many applied. In the past if a mod got gun slinging and handing out a lot of infractions questions would be asked. I'm not sure its the case now. Also I'm not even sure if the "stomper" tag even hides who gave infractions from the mod community itself. If that is the case then of course there would be no checks and balances.

Would be really sorry to see @RattsSSV or anybody else leave. We've lost enough people here.

What really raises some flags is that some of the most congenial posters here, I won't name them, have had multiple infractions recently. That just seems off in itself. Theres one poster here that hasn't said an unkind thing to anybody and yet had multiple infractions concurrently that limited his contribution here.

Last edited:

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
Stomper introduced a level of moderation infraction here that is not subject to feedback. Used to be as a mod here if you gave somebody an infraction many times you were getting inbox messages from that poster. Sometimes harassment. But the general expectation was you were made to explain infractions that were in any way judgement calls. Now this is not required. There is not the same accountability now.

Now I am sympathetic to there being a level of protection of mods from abuse as i've been one, but since a few of the boards foremost managers passed away it seems like theres less checks and balances of any kind on thresholds for infractions and how many applied. In the past if a mod got gun slinging and handing out a lot of infractions questions would be asked. I'm not sure its the case now. Also I'm not even sure if the "stomper" tag even hides who gave infractions from the mod community itself. If that is the case then of course there would be no checks and balances.

Would be really sorry to see Ratts or anybody else leave. We've lost enough people here.

What really raises some flags is that some of the most congenial posters here, I won't name them, have had multiple infractions recently. That just seems off in itself. Theres one poster here that hasn't said an unkind thing to anybody and yet had multiple infractions concurrently that limited his contribution here.
On the mains when I was revenge reporting of actual rule breaking posts 10x worse than mine (that got me warned), I would take note of which mods were active in the user list and wrote down who was active when my report was cleared/dealt with and the result. There is 100% a ducks fanboy mod who is very trigger happy against at the very minimum Oilers fans and would clear my reports of rule breaking posts with no action. I waited for the guy to get offline then would report the same posts again and the next mods properly enforced the rules.

I should have kept the page on my notebook to make it easier next time when deciding to report something lol

But stop leaving everyone :(
There can be change. Let’s be the change we want to see.. some how

Last edited:

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
On the mains when I was revenge reporting of actual rule breaking posts 10x worse than mine (that got me warned), I would take note of which mods were active in the user list and wrote down who was active when my report was cleared/dealt with and the result. There is 100% a ducks fanboy mod who is very trigger happy against at the very minimum Oilers fans and would clear my reports of rule breaking posts with no action. I waited for the guy to get offline then would report the same posts again and the next mods properly enforced the rules.

I should have kept the page on my notebook to make it easier next time when deciding to report something lol
With due respect to the mods on HFOil that have been very accommodating, easy to interact with and most importantly as mentioned by @Drivesaitl and others, fair in their moderation and expectations (as well as being accessible to help answer why infractions are imposed and how to appeal if one wishes to do so), the mods on the mains are unfortunately the polar opposite. It’s partly why the experience on HFOil has been enjoyable, along with the many knowledgeable, and occasionally bipolar and sarcastic, great community of posters that frequent here. We’ve been allowed an experience in dialogue that isn’t welcome or tolerated in many other areas of this site

I’ve witnessed and been a party to inconsistent assessment of standards, there is no one to actually help understand why an infraction is imposed, they simply post a section of the terms and conditions as the reason that often doesn’t seem to apply and certainly doesn’t clarify. I can be obtuse at times, but I’m not THE village idiot, just one of the many! A few weeks ago after losing like privileges for 2 simultaneous infractions on the mains, I was infracted again for actually typing the word LIKE after someone’s post. That too is forbidden I found out.

So as I said in a subsequent post to that infract, I will have to now say, i don’t love your posts, but I more than just tolerate them (if you get my drift).:)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
With due respect to the mods on HFOil that have been very accommodating, easy to interact with and most importantly as mentioned by @Drivesaitl and others, fair in their moderation and expectations (as well as being accessible to help answer why infractions are imposed and how to appeal if one wishes to do so), the mods on the mains are unfortunately the polar opposite. It’s partly why the experience on HFOil has been enjoyable, along with the many knowledgeable, and occasionally bipolar and sarcastic, great community of posters that frequent here. We’ve been allowed an experience in dialogue that isn’t welcome or tolerated in many other areas of this site

I’ve witnessed and been a party to inconsistent assessment of standards, there is no one to actually help understand why an infraction is imposed, they simply post a section of the terms and conditions as the reason that often doesn’t seem to apply and certainly doesn’t clarify. I can be obtuse at times, but I’m not THE village idiot, just one of the many! A few weeks ago after losing like privileges for 2 simultaneous infractions on the mains, I was infracted again for actually typing the word LIKE after someone’s post. That too is forbidden I found out.

So as I said in a subsequent post to that infract, I will have to now say, i don’t love your posts, but I more than just tolerate them (if you get my drift).:)
In this day and age just look at what happened to Josh Archibald for just liking a couple of the wrong posts.

Just as related example.

I'm going to live dangerously.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Noticed that the 'Do you want to support us' banner is back on occasion again. Anybody have the latest uBlock settings tweak for that?

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Noticed that the 'Do you want to support us' banner is back on occasion again. Anybody have the latest uBlock settings tweak for that?

iirc the only real fix I have seen is to have greasemonkey installed with a new script, though I haven't seen if anything was updated since.

Reactions: bellagiobob

Oilhawks

Oden's Ride Over Nordland
Nov 24, 2011

I've been using Brave which has a built in ad blocker that seems to work great, they must have updated the site to break a lot of the ad blockers.

All of these websites and advertisers must not realize that if ads weren't as intrusive, I doubt many would bother so much with trying to block them. They must have weighed the pros and cons WRT intrusive ads might lead to more sponsors than less intrusive that bring in less ad revenue

RipsADrive

Sep 16, 2008
Edmonton
I spent an hour or so yesterday reconfiguring certain add-ons that had stopped working to make navigating this site tolerable again.

It's the community and the variety of viewpoints that make this place worth visiting so hopefully (ya, I know) Evolve tones down the aggressiveness of the advertisements / data mining and realizes that not only are they chasing away established posters but discouraging new ones from joining.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
You're going to grammar remediation. ;)

Almost as bad. ;)
Apostrophes are unnecessary jewelry.

(However, you’re correct. Normally I’m a stickler for the King’s English and proper spelling/grammar/punctuation. My wife and kids think I’m a nerd because of it. But guess who has edited, nay rescued, countless university papers over the years…). Sometimes I type with my oven mitts on here and a few slip by. :0

At least no one has accused me of having dangling participles yet.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I've been using Brave which has a built in ad blocker that seems to work great, they must have updated the site to break a lot of the ad blockers.

All of these websites and advertisers must not realize that if ads weren't as intrusive, I doubt many would bother so much with trying to block them. They must have weighed the pros and cons WRT intrusive ads might lead to more sponsors than less intrusive that bring in less ad revenue
I changed some of the annoyance filters and all good now, no popups or ads.

Reactions: Oilhawks

soothsayer

Oct 27, 2009
We value your privacy...

I'm sure the European Data Protection Supervisor would appreciate the info.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad