GDT: HFBoards GDT 2/7/2024 | Three whole games.... what a treat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Yeah, they are good they are like 5 points behind Boston and 6 ahead of Toronto though the Leafs have a game in hand. So, I think the Bruins hold that title until the are dethroned.
Panthers dethroned them in the play offs last year when it mattered most. Then bounced the leafs in 5 . Swept the Canes. East was a cake walk for Panthers last spring.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Panthers dethroned them in the play offs last year when it mattered most. Then bounced the leafs in 5 . Swept the Canes. East was a cake walk for Panthers last spring.
The Panthers upset them.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Somewhere, someone watched their very first period of hockey ever. But alas, it was the Hawks vs Wild game’s first period, and they’ll never watch hockey ever again.
I said earlier today .....only two games tonight as Hawks wild doesn't count and is not a viable option for viewing

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
have you seen the Leafs record against those teams?
I would rather play the top teams in the west TBH
They‘re a 500ish team now, but those teams are stuck in neutral with an occasional stint in reverse.
Matthews will keep them in a playoff race and if they can find a new GM and they do a decent job building around him, they could be a really good team.

But I won’t hold my breath

Last edited:
Reactions: Deadly Dogma

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
The Panthers upset them.
yup. Exposed the D with aggressive forcheck. Laid the body on McAvoy and Pastrnak all game every game. Chased the Vezina winning Ulmark out of the net.
Then went 8-1 in the next two rounds to get into finals.
Beasts of the east.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
I said earlier today .....only two games tonight as Hawks wild doesn't count and is not a viable option for viewing
I am trying to follow while I am being put to sleep in a meeting.

yup. Exposed the D with aggressive forcheck. Laid the body on McAvoy and Pastrnak all game every game. Chased the Vezina winning Ulmark out of the net.
Beasts of the east.
We disagree on that ( being beasts of the East). They have a very good team though.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Beasts of the east.

Didn't Tampa Bay sweep the President's Trophy winning Panthers a year prior?

Unless you think the norm is Bobrovsky is going .960 in the playoffs for 2 rounds every year. It doesn't seem very sustainable. Bobrovsky collapsed in the Finals too. He reminds me of Price that one year before going to rehab.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
They‘re a 500ish team now, but those teams are stuck in neutral with occasion stint in reverse.
Matthews will keep them in a playoff race and if they can find a new GM and they do a decent job building around him, they could be a really good team.

But I won’t hold my breath
My gut tells me that we haven't seen all of this team yet, we've seen glimpses, ie those 2 games against the Jets.
I just get the sense the whole organization has a singular focus this year and all of this is just dress rehearsal for them. I get my answer in game 1 of the 1st round.
I think they are fine in WC1 because who ever wins the metro will be a weaker team than 1 or 2 of the Atlantic.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022

Unless you think the norm is Bobrovsky is going .960 in the playoffs for 2 rounds every year. It doesn't seem very sustainable. Bobrovsky collapsed in the Finals too. He reminds me of Price that one year before going to rehab.
It isn't. Lyon and Boob both had career streaks. Don't know what your talking about re Price though.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas

Knights trounced them them for sure.
But if you read the post you are replying to, I said they were "beasts of the East"
I didn't say one word about them winning the cup against western opponents.
They won't, the cup is coming out of west these season. Again. Not exactly going out on a limb with there I know.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I am trying to follow while I am being put to sleep in a meeting.

We disagree on that ( being beasts of the East). They have a very good team though.
Strong and deep up front.
Massive talent on blue line.
Good to great goaltending.
Proved they could win three rounds.

but I guess if you only look at regular season standings to pick who's the best team in East.......then it's Boston again.

I'll predict Panthers win the east and go to finals again because I think they have the best roster for post season hockey.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Knights trounced them them for sure.
But if you read the post you are replying to, I said they were "beasts of the East"
I didn't say one word about them winning the cup against western opponents.
They won't, the cup is coming out of west these season. Again. Not exactly going out on a limb with there I know.

I disagree. Any team can get hot.

Montreal rode a hot Price to the finals one year. Did that make them the new beasts of the East? No. They never made the playoffs again.

If they do it again, then maybe.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
Strong and deep up front.
Massive talent on blue line.
Good to great goaltending.
Proved they could win three rounds.

but I guess if you only look at regular season standings to pick who's the best team in East.......then it's Boston again.

I'll predict Panthers win the east and go to finals again because I think they have the best roster for post season hockey.
No, I look at the last few years regular season and playoff to pick who is the best team in the East......yes, it is still Boston.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
No, I look at the last few years regular season and playoff to pick who is the best team in the East......yes, it is still Boston.
Yea I like and respect the Bruins. Great club.
But they have won 2 rounds in the last 4 years. Going out in the first round the last two play offs.
Not built for play offs anymore. But strong goal tending duo.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
I disagree. Any team can get hot.

Montreal rode a hot Price to the finals one year. Did that make them the new beasts of the East? No. They never made the playoffs again.

If they do it again, then maybe.
yea but I'm not basing my prediction on what the habs did or their roster. I'm basing it on Panthers roster, how they play, and who they will be playing. But it is just my prediction. What do I know.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Beasts of the east.
and were pedestrian as soon as otherworldly goaltending stopped.

Reactions: PaulD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad