GDT: HFBoards GDT | 12/5/19 - 9 games more than 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
saw the replay of the OT, and, my god what an atrocious call for the refs to make. Refs shouldn't try and become party of the story; get the F out of the way of the game

Reactions: hn777

The Ultimate Pielord

Why yes, I am a nerd
Dec 5, 2019
You know, you could probably perform a pretty decent view of how unbiased officials are by doing like an "expected difference in penalty differential/60 vs actual penalty differential/60" by looking at the roster/usage changes a team makes and the penalty differentials of the players.

Reactions: perronist

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
You know, you could probably perform a pretty decent view of how unbiased officials are by doing like an "expected difference in penalty differential/60 vs actual penalty differential/60" by looking at the roster/usage changes a team makes and the penalty differentials of the players.
It wouldn't even matter, it always ranges to the median. Teams that were underpenalized in the first half will be called more in the second half and teams that were overpenalized will be called fewer times in the second half. Literally the stupidest officiating situation in any pro sports since NBA referees gambled on the outcome of games to the man.

The Ultimate Pielord

Why yes, I am a nerd
Dec 5, 2019
It wouldn't even matter, it always ranges to the median. Teams that were underpenalized in the first half will be called more in the second half and teams that were overpenalized will be called fewer times in the second half. Literally the stupidest officiating situation in any pro sports since NBA referees gambled on the outcome of games to the man.

FWIW, there are some teams with pretty stark penalty differentials so far this year. The Jets have drawn 21 more minors than they've taken, good for 2nd best differential in the league, while the Stars are -17 by the metric (2nd worst in the league, funnily enough). The Avs top the leaderboard with a +23 differential while the Sens are worst in the league at -23.

Villert

Dec 29, 2009
FWIW, there are some teams with pretty stark penalty differentials so far this year. The Jets have drawn 21 more minors than they've taken, good for 2nd best differential in the league, while the Stars are -17 by the metric (2nd worst in the league, funnily enough). The Avs top the leaderboard with a +23 differential while the Sens are worst in the league at -23.
Oh totally. Two years ago (or last year?) Jets were easily the most penalized league in the first half of the season, by the end we were right in the middle. This year we're the least (or were before tonight again a team that was -17 as you mentioned) and I bet you we'll finish right in the middle again.

The Ultimate Pielord

Why yes, I am a nerd
Dec 5, 2019
The Ducks have a penalty% of 44.6% (44.6% of minors were drawn by them) while the Jets have one of 56.7%. The league-wide range in score and venue adjusted xGF% is 43.4% (wow detroit) to 54.6%. That means that the range in penalty differential between teams is actually bigger than the range of xGF% so far this year. Dunno how that'll hold up as the year wears on, but so far make-up calls don't seem to have had that much of an effect this year.

Deen

Feb 19, 2010
The Ducks have a penalty% of 44.6% (44.6% of minors were drawn by them) while the Jets have one of 56.7%. The league-wide range in score and venue adjusted xGF% is 43.4% (wow detroit) to 54.6%. That means that the range in penalty differential between teams is actually bigger than the range of xGF% so far this year. Dunno how that'll hold up as the year wears on, but so far make-up calls don't seem to have had that much of an effect this year.

Get a girlfriend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad