GDT: HFBoards GDT | 11/19/18

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Dubois is elite.

I am solidly with the 95% of this board that was totally wrong about that draft pick.:laugh:

Really good player and he keeps getting better. Reminds me of Mark Scheifele a little in terms of a player comparison. Big powerful guys, but their hockey IQs for the full 200 feet are impressive as is their drive to continuously improve.

La Masse

May 5, 2016
Gatineau,Quebec
What happened to Dubois? I remember watching him live in junior and often wondered if he was actually playing. He seems to have flourished in Columbus. He might not he a high end #1 center but hes pretty good

Reactions: Palm Tree

Super Hans

Stats Evangelist
Oct 9, 2016
I took a trip to memory lane last night and dug up the 2016 NHL Draft GDT to re-live the PLD/Pulju reaction. Fitting start to the CBJ game.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
Tough spot for Sheahan there. He really is a terrible fighter for a big guy, of course I think he wanted no part of that.
That was a nasty hit by McCabe and may even receive a game suspension for it.

The player who received the hit (whose name I can’t recall) turned towards the boards right before contact, so I’m not sure McCabe could have avoided the hit. I’ll need to see it again but in real time plus 2 replays at different angles it looked pretty close.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Its weird how some players like Dubois have decent juniors careers and end up being better nhl players. Like you said, thats why you pay the scouts
I was reading some Q&A with a few scouts a few months ago (might have been on the Athletic?), and the crap that scouts *actually* look at while they're looking at kids is nuts. I think a lot of the media scout people, they don't get nearly as granular as the pro-scouts.

I mean, it's an inexact science (art?), but CBJ has drafted really well in the first round, so I think we as fans should probably give them the benefit of the doubt if they make a pick that looks slightly off the board.

Reactions: spintheblackcircle

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
That was a nasty hit by McCabe and may even receive a game suspension for it.

The player who received the hit (whose name I can’t recall) turned towards the boards right before contact, so I’m not sure McCabe could have avoided the hit. I’ll need to see it again but in real time plus 2 replays at different angles it looked pretty close.

I didn't like the hit, ZAR is the Penguin I think.

I mean turning to probably get boarded is still one of those stunning things.I get that it is the stop sign on your back during youth hockey era, but man I would think self preservation would make you rather take a real body check without the risks of going head first into the board...

McCabe cannot make that hit though. Was more just saying I don't think Sheahan really wanted to go, I get why McCabe thought it was going to be a thing. Like I said that is sort of an unfortunate sequence for the Pens. Take a tough hit and then get pounded in a fight that it didn't look like your guy wanted any part of. I am not sure what the reaction was on the bench to that sequence, especially with how hard they are already struggling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sansbacon

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I didn't like the hit ZAR is the Penguin I think.

I mean turning to probably get boarded is still one of those stunning things.

McCabe cannot make that hit though. Was more just saying I don't think Sheahan really wanted to go, I get why McCabe thought it was going to be a thing. Like I said that is sort of an unfortunate sequence for the Pens. Take a tough hit and then get pounded in a fight that it didn't look like your guy wanted any part of. I am not sure what the reaction was on the bench to that sequence, especially with how hard they are already struggling.
I don’t love the hit either, but I think McCabe is looking to plaster him from the side, and then Aston-Reese quickly turns his body. If you follow Jake’s path as if ZAR never turns then you see a big hit, potentially a charging penalty or something, but a hit with a less vicious intent than the final result.

But that was ugly and I’m glad Aston-Reese is okay.

Edit- I’m not picking on your post for any reason other than I came in here to mention it and your comment was the only one referring to the incident.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
I don’t love the hit either, but I think McCabe is looking to plaster him from the side, and then Aston-Reese quickly turns his body. If you follow Jake’s path as if ZAR never turns then you see a big hit, potentially a charging penalty or something, but a hit with a less vicious intent than the final result.

But that was ugly and I’m glad Aston-Reese is okay.

Edit- I’m not picking on your post for any reason other than I came in here to mention it and your comment was the only one referring to the incident.

I don't know, I have seen that guy put himself in some pretty bad spots now a few times in his young career.

Yeah the onus is on the hitter, but lightning is going to keep striking ZAR if he doesn't start protecting himself a little more on ice. Again to me McCabe needs to do better there. But I do wonder what guys are thinking sometimes when they seemingly actually choose to get boarded.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Watch them call this off. That would be how the Pens season is going.

Edit, never mind. Good goal.

Sansbacon

Sep 26, 2006
Westchester, NY
I see the refs have put the whistles away in this Pens-Sabre’s game. First the missed high stick by Okposo, then the trip on Bogosian.

Jesus Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad