HFBoards Draft Simulation League - Matchday 1

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Marquinhos got the earful at half time that if Kaner wasn't to be contained his buddy Kimpembe would start over him and got the message

Big come-back to tie it against one of the best teams in the league and we take a point that seemed loss. Dybala making @Duchene2MacKinnon happy and how poetic it was that Lautaro was the one to shoot the penalty against him :D

Reactions: Duchene2MacKinnon

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Marquinhos got the earful at half time that if Kaner wasn't to be contained his buddy Kimpembe would start over him and got the message

Big come-back to tie it against one of the best teams in the league and we take a point that seemed loss. Dybala making @Duchene2MacKinnon happy and how poetic it was that Lautaro was the one to shoot the penalty against him :D
Never played FM but i thought it was way more realistic than this. First they have Nuer better than MAtS and ramos ahead of Varane which pure stupidity and that penalty on Dest was complete bullshit. Better to do this with Fifa

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
@YNWA14 I thought you were just going to simulate it. This would take forever otherwise. What I used to do when I would play is I would "go on vacation" and then you can set a date, IE mid-season or end of the season, and go back and review what transpired. If I do intervals I just save them with different titles in case I want to go back. You'd have to turn off transfers and injuries if you can. Anyway, once you've simulated you can go back and look at matches, stats, league tables, etc.

Never played FM but i thought it was way more realistic than this. First they have Nuer better than MAtS and ramos ahead of Varane which pure stupidity and that penalty on Dest was complete bullshit. Better to do this with Fifa

Well the game certainly isn't perfect. I've seen future screen shots of Haaland for example which have him going to PSG for the next five seasons and he doesn't even get 20 goals in a single season.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010

Haha well I think the penalty looking bad is more down to the 3D match engine not looking perfect. They don't make up fouls. The player ratings can be really varied and some leagues/players get better ratings than others based on exposure, etc. but it's still by far the best simulation game out there and it really is a great engine. It's really not that bad.

@YNWA14 I thought you were just going to simulate it. This would take forever otherwise. What I used to do when I would play is I would "go on vacation" and then you can set a date, IE mid-season or end of the season, and go back and review what transpired. If I do intervals I just save them with different titles in case I want to go back. You'd have to turn off transfers and injuries if you can. Anyway, once you've simulated you can go back and look at matches, stats, league tables, etc.

Yeah, I've thought about that, but I thought this could be fun and something people could look forward to. But if nobody likes it or doesn't want to do it I can just sim to the end of the season and post the results too.

I guess now that I've actually set up the database and done the work and seen how relatively easy it is to do I wonder how many people here would be interested in doing an actual dynasty league this way where you could send in tactics, have a senior and youth team, etc. I'd have to flesh out the rules a little bit but I don't mind organizing and running it. Could have matches run once a week or something like that, etc.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I liked the format today, maybe just having the key plays in every match instead of extended highlights so it doesn't become too long?

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Liking Hudson-Odoi, Sane and Arthur in the first game. :D
CHO was probably the most involved player I was pretty surprised. He dribbled everyone and generally had a great game. I thought that was going to be a pretty big weak spot on your team as a lot of the younger players just aren't rated that highly in FM yet.

Reactions: Cassano

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Like I said in the video I'm open to any tactical changes you guys want for this going forward. Just remember to keep one of the base styles, but formations and player roles are completely up to you. Just PM me if you want to change them before the next matchday, or any player changes you want. ;)

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Yeah, I've thought about that, but I thought this could be fun and something people could look forward to. But if nobody likes it or doesn't want to do it I can just sim to the end of the season and post the results too.

I guess now that I've actually set up the database and done the work and seen how relatively easy it is to do I wonder how many people here would be interested in doing an actual dynasty league this way where you could send in tactics, have a senior and youth team, etc. I'd have to flesh out the rules a little bit but I don't mind organizing and running it. Could have matches run once a week or something like that, etc.

You could still release results as you have. The way I'm suggesting let's the system actually simulate.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I liked the format today, maybe just having the key plays in every match instead of extended highlights so it doesn't become too long?
I enjoyed the matchday specific episode, and if you're down to keep making them I'd love to keep doing it one matchday at a time.
Yeah I'm down! I could probably do them pretty quickly I usually have a lot of time at night now since all my activities have been cancelled.

I think I'll slow the video down and do extended highlights still but I've just learned how to add timestamps in the description so people can skip to their own matches if they want (I've already updated the original video with them).

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Well the game certainly isn't perfect. I've seen future screen shots of Haaland for example which have him going to PSG for the next five seasons and he doesn't even get 20 goals in a single season.

Haha well I think the penalty looking bad is more down to the 3D match engine not looking perfect. They don't make up fouls. The player ratings can be really varied and some leagues/players get better ratings than others based on exposure, etc. but it's still by far the best simulation game out there and it really is a great engine. It's really not that bad.

Meh it is what it is. I didnt expect it to be perfect.

might go with what Lh suggested and start Icardi. Somehow.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
You could still release results as you have. The way I'm suggesting let's the system actually simulate.
It's no different except if you go on vacation whoever the assistant manager for the team is will make in game decisions on substitutions and so on, same for injury replacements and whatnot. If I go through it manually it's still just being simmed the same way but no team talks, and we have control over everything.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
It's no different except if you go on vacation whoever the assistant manager for the team is will make in game decisions on substitutions and so on, same for injury replacements and whatnot. If I go through it manually it's still just being simmed the same way but no team talks, and we have control over everything.

Yeah, that's sort of the point. The game just sims and the assistant manager makes the decisions. I don't think subs would have made a difference in my match, and I'm happy you brought on Fekir, but did you make subs in every match? For each team? I just think at the end of the day the sim leaves it down to the game and you can go back and watch/post whatever replays you want.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, that's sort of the point. The game just sims and the assistant manager makes the decisions. I don't think subs would have made a difference in my match, and I'm happy you brought on Fekir, but did you make subs in every match? For each team? I just think at the end of the day the sim leaves it down to the game and you can go back and watch/post whatever replays you want.
I think yours was the only one I actually made subs in. I mentioned in there that for the first matchday I was only going to make subs if players conditions really dropped below 70% but in most of the games that only happened really late.

I'm happy to take suggestions on how to deal with subbing and/or not subbing. Realistically speaking the games being a week a part with no other competitions should mean that players can play the whole game and be back to full fitness by the next matchday anyway, but especially with younger players if they are tired at the end they're probably going to negatively impact your result.

It was pretty late though I think I might have made one other sub. I've run 2 seasons so far just by going on vacation with every team and I'm saving those separately to post maybe in the draft thread. I figure running 3 seasons in year 1, year 2 and year 3 will give kind of a general look of the teams, but I also think doing it one matchday at a time is pretty fun if the majority are into it. Since each assistant manager has different attributes, some much better than others, and as such it can really impact the way each team performs; when I do it it keeps the playing field level for everyone and just relies on the tactics + players.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
I think yours was the only one I actually made subs in. I mentioned in there that for the first matchday I was only going to make subs if players conditions really dropped below 70% but in most of the games that only happened really late.

I'm happy to take suggestions on how to deal with subbing and/or not subbing. Realistically speaking the games being a week a part with no other competitions should mean that players can play the whole game and be back to full fitness by the next matchday anyway, but especially with younger players if they are tired at the end they're probably going to negatively impact your result.

It was pretty late though I think I might have made one other sub. I've run 2 seasons so far just by going on vacation with every team and I'm saving those separately to post maybe in the draft thread. I figure running 3 seasons in year 1, year 2 and year 3 will give kind of a general look of the teams, but I also think doing it one matchday at a time is pretty fun if the majority are into it. Since each assistant manager has different attributes, some much better than others, and as such it can really impact the way each team performs; when I do it it keeps the playing field level for everyone and just relies on the tactics + players.

Yeah, but would it have made subs for one of the teams the way you did it had you not made any subs? I don't think so. At least with simming the way I've suggested you get a level playing field with some more realism. So that again is where just letting it sim on it's own and you can still go back and do one matchday at a time in terms of presenting it. Anyway, it's not a big deal, I just think that makes the most sense.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Yeah, but would it have made subs for one of the teams the way you did it had you not made any subs? I don't think so. At least with simming the way I've suggested you get a level playing field with some more realism. So that again is where just letting it sim on it's own and you can still go back and do one matchday at a time in terms of presenting it. Anyway, it's not a big deal, I just think that makes the most sense.
It's a little more complex than that. Going on holiday the entire season also sees managers get sacked mid-season because a lot of these teams have high expectations based on their reputation and if say Barcelona is mid table or below mid season the manager gets sacked (which I can prevent). Then they bring in another manager that changes the tactics, players, etc.

If you're on holiday each assistant manager would make a lot more subs than I would, yeah. They likely also use shouts, team talks, etc. Again, not that those are necessarily bad things, but it takes away from the 'level field' since some teams have better assistant managers than others.

That said if people prefer having an assistant manager take care of the team and instructions I'm happy to do it. Whatever the majority are comfortable with. This is more of just a side test project to work with the editor and have some fun with the draft teams we made so I'm pretty easy.

Venkman

Jun 28, 2007
England
Griez putting in a 6.3 :shakehead must have been up late playing Fortnite. Disappointed to throw away a 2-0 lead, their penalty looked a bit dodgy though :laugh:. @Vasilevskiy 's team created more chances so a decent point away from home.

Must have been a lot of work so thanks for putting in the time @YNWA14.

Reactions: YNWA14

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
Kante with an uncharacteristic worldie to win it for me. Hope the offense can create more going forwards as it seemed to struggle to create clear cut chances.

Reactions: Gecklund

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad