Line Combos: HFBoards Decides: Opening Lineup - 3rd Line Right Winger

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Kunitz has won the third line left wing position.

And for the first result that I don't agree with, Pouliot is on the second defensive pairing with Cole.

Some assumptions, as of 8/30/2015:

• Fehr will not start the season.
  • Scuderi is staying. So is Lovejoy.
  • Dumoulin would not survive waivers and will stay in the NHL.
  • Clendening, Erixson, and Andersen have a chance to pass through waivers and one will be the 6th or 7th defenseman.
  • Sundqvist, Rust, and Wilson have a slim chance to start in the NHL in a bottom 6 role.
  • Fleury is the starting goalie.
  • Dupuis and Bennett can play either wing.
  • Neither Gonchar or Sestito will be signed.

I will add more assumptions as the HFBoards lineup is decided. You don't like these assumptions? Too bad.

Vote for who you believe should be the third line right winger.

OrganicSkeletalDrongo.gif

Voting for this one shall last for two days. Then, depending on results, I will take the top 2 or 3 results and do one final poll.

Objections?

Current HFBoards Lineup:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
XXX-XXX
XXX

Fleury
XXX

m302291

Jun 2, 2015
there's no point in keep Bennett if he is not in the middle six and playing with guys who can put the puck in the net. Kunitz is a guy who can finish Bennett's feeds, and Bonino has good offense in him too. letting Bennett rot on the fourth line all season is just dumb. he is a playmaking skill player who needs a finisher, and needs enough TOI to put up points. otherwise at the end of the season his contract will be up, we'll have no reason to resign him, and he will be worth nothing in trade value

Moose Lips

Aug 15, 2006
East Berlin
Tough one, how do you not play either Dupuis or Bennett on the 3rd line? Dupuis has done well enough in greater positions, but can he now...Bennett should have been able to handle greater responsibilities, can he now?

Throw in Sundqvist who projects as a future anchor to the 3rd line, can't see spotting him over Dupuis or Bennett until he shows he is the best option.

I imagine similarly to the balancing of the top 2 lines, or having two interchangeable top lines...having two 3rd lines, or balanced time and players on the bottom two...good choices regardless how it plays out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'd like to see Bennett with Bonino. I think Dupuis could make a solid 4th line "checking" line with Fehr (when he returns) and a guy like Sundqvist.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is this just for starting the year? Because when we're healthy, I'd like to see our 3rd line be Kunitz-Bonino-Fehr and the 4th line Dupuis-Cullen-Bennett.

CrosbytoKessel

Jan 8, 2015
I got this weird feeling They have plans for Beau to be in the top 9. I think the third line will be: Plotnikov-bonino-Bennett.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I think Dupuis - Bonino - Bennett would be a good 3rd line. With the 4th (to start) being Plotnikov - Cullen - and whoever can make the team out of camp until Fehr gets back.

Klifton

May 30, 2014
Wahoo, Nebraska
I think the spot will go to Duper, at least to start the season. Although, I suspect that Bennett will also see some time on that line. He will be given the opportunity to prove himself at some point during the season. How he preforms on a night to night basis will ultimately determine whether he stays, get demoted back to the 4th line, or is traded for D help.

jmelm

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Bennett needs a chance to play in a meaningful role, and Dupuis needs some time on the 4th line to get his game/timing back. Beau is the choice here.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
With Bonino being a mediocre skater and our vote-in 3LW Kunitz having lost a step, they need some speed on the 3rd line. Love me some Beau, but speed's not his game. I'd go with Dupes on the 3RW.

Cullen's fast and the odds-on favourite to center the 4th, so I'd put Beau at 4RW.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Kunitz has won the third line left wing position.

And for the first result that I don't agree with, Pouliot is on the second defensive pairing with Cole.

Some assumptions, as of 8/30/2015:

• Fehr will not start the season.
  • Scuderi is staying. So is Lovejoy.
  • Dumoulin would not survive waivers and will stay in the NHL.
  • Clendening, Erixson, and Andersen have a chance to pass through waivers and one will be the 6th or 7th defenseman.
  • Sundqvist, Rust, and Wilson have a slim chance to start in the NHL in a bottom 6 role.
  • Fleury is the starting goalie.
  • Dupuis and Bennett can play either wing.
  • Neither Gonchar or Sestito will be signed.

I will add more assumptions as the HFBoards lineup is decided. You don't like these assumptions? Too bad.

Vote for who you believe should be the third line right winger.

OrganicSkeletalDrongo.gif

Voting for this one shall last for two days. Then, depending on results, I will take the top 2 or 3 results and do one final poll.

Objections?

Current HFBoards Lineup:

Perron-Crosby-Hornqvist
Plotnikov-Malkin-Kessel
Kunitz-Bonino-XXX
XXX-XXX-XXX

Maatta-Letang
Pouliot-Cole
XXX-XXX
XXX

Fleury
XXX
GMJR has said fehr will start the season early today on the fan, so if healthy fehr would be the winger

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
With Bonino being a mediocre skater and our vote-in 3LW Kunitz having lost a step, they need some speed on the 3rd line. Love me some Beau, but speed's not his game. I'd go with Dupes on the RW.

Yeah I think I agree.

I was saying in the other thread that with Plots, Duper, Kunitz, and even Bennett, you have 4 guys that can play on any line. The only caveat with that is you have to be careful about combinations based on lack of speed.

For example, you can have Kunitz with Beau IF Cullen is the center (or Sid or Geno). You can have Plots-Bones or Bones-Beau or Kunitz-Bones IF Duper or Cullen is the other winger (or Farnham or Wilson get in the lineup).

As I look at it, we only have a few guys with speed and only 2, possibly 3 on the wing. Those guys need to be opposite a slower guy.

The only exception I make to that is Perron-Hornqvist due to their skill, jam, and heart (and lack of other ideal combinations).

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Yeah I think I agree.

I was saying in the other thread that with Plots, Duper, Kunitz, and even Bennett, you have 4 guys that can play on any line. The only caveat with that is you have to be careful about combinations based on lack of speed.

For example, you can have Kunitz with Beau IF Cullen is the center (or Sid or Geno). You can have Plots-Bones or Bones-Beau or Kunitz-Bones IF Duper or Cullen is the other winger (or Farnham or Wilson get in the lineup).

As I look at it, we only have a few guys with speed and only 2, possibly 3 on the wing. Those guys need to be opposite a slower guy.

The only exception I make to that is Perron-Hornqvist due to their skill, jam, and heart (and lack of other ideal combinations).

That's a good way of laying it all out. We've gotta have one speed element on every line. At least in the top 6, Sid and Geno can both skate well so it mitigates that potential problem a bit when it comes to Perron - Hornqvist. Come to think of it, Cullen can too...Bonino's really the guy we have to insulate.

systemsgo

fire mj
Apr 24, 2014
With Bonino being a mediocre skater and our vote-in 3LW Kunitz having lost a step, they need some speed on the 3rd line. Love me some Beau, but speed's not his game. I'd go with Dupes on the 3RW.

Cullen's fast and the odds-on favourite to center the 4th, so I'd put Beau at 4RW.

This. The third line is going to be slooooow with Bonino, Bennett and Kunitz, and with none of whom I would call defensively good - unless Kunitz stops playing like ass.

Rocket of Russia

Needs more Tang
Mar 8, 2012
USA
Beau with 3rd line minutes and the skill of Bonino is the way to go.

KCD without the C is the stuff of nightmares. "It would be a 3rd line role and as long as Sid isn't tied to them..." stop it, imaginary arguer. That line is awful.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
Went with Dupuis. If the ultimate goal is to have two "3rd" lines, then you need to balance them. Bonino is being sold to me as more of a playmaker, so having Bennett play with him leaves the fourth line a little barren in that department.

I'm hoping the bottom two lines get about equal playing time, so Bennett should still get his minutes in and be more of the offensive focus on the "fourth" line. Dupuis brings the speed (hopefully) and defensive responsibility to the "third" line.

DrDangles

Mar 1, 2013
Duper hasn't played a game in a long time. Start him on the 4th to get his feet wet.

I hope Bennett lands it.

Penguinsyay

Jul 20, 2007
Dupuis seemed to me to be the best choice. It looks like he is going to be healthy, and since it is Dupuis I don't think his work ethic/effort levels are at question. I just don't see his play deteriorating at the rate of a Kunitz. Duper tore it up last time he returned from injury. I think he'll come back with speed, speed that the 3rd line could use. ;-)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad