HFBoards 2020 Stanley Cup Favourite #2

Who goes 2?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Boston. I think they have all the ingredients you need to win a Cup.

Sorry Blues fans, as impressed as I was with the win, I'm just not sure it's a "repeat" type roster.

JoVel

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2017
67% having Tampa as their #1 pick is disgustingly and undeservedly high.

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018

You mean having a team who just had a historic regular season going into this one with all of the same skill and talent they possessed now with an added chip on their shoulder to shed this choker label is a poor choice? I beg to differ young padawan. May I suit you with a donut sir?

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
I like San Jose and Colorado's chances.
I give almost no chance to the Blues repeating.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
This is Vegas for me a full season of Stone while adding Glass and potentially Gusev. Aldo having Dansk and Sparks as an option instead of Subban helps if MAF gets hurt.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
I like San Jose and Colorado's chances.
I give almost no chance to the Blues repeating.
Colorado’s young defense will need some seasoning. Colorado is quickly becoming the new Dallas stars: “win” the offseason then get overrated. They don’t belong in the convo for top 5 IMO...maybe top 10 tho (no offense avs fans).

Honestly surprised the Blues are winning this poll.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
This is where it gets super tricky. I think last year calling out the favorites was much more evident. Washington to repeat. Pitt 3 in 4. Tampa with great roster. SJ with Karlsson addition. etc. But this year:

Pitt - well, they now lost out on 2 cups in a row, so does the back to back even matter 3 years later? Round 1 sweep doesn't help
Washington - well, they looked good all year, played great in round 1 but.... still lost. Are we back to a playoff choker after the 1 cup year? Not sure if they're #2 favorites
Blues - Great run - but there's nothing necessarily spectacular about this team. A lot of the favorites fell early in playoffs last year. Can they repeat? Don't think they're #2. Maybe...
Boston - They're in same division as Tampa (and even Tor) which is a problem. They're a bit older. I don't know that I see this team repeating a final berth back to back, something that almost never happens
Nashville - They did bad again in playoffs last year. They lost Subban too - still a good D, but best in league? Don't think so anymore

Then you have some younger teams with exciting cores, but all of those are full of questions too:

Colorado - a lot of what they're doing is promising - but does that mean they'll reach the cup this year? Seems a bit early for them
Toronto - Great young core and tons of potential but they've yet to even make it past round 1. Are they all of a sudden going all the way to cup? Tampa/Boston in their division too
Calgary - Great season, horrible showing in playoffs. One hit wonder, or can they repeat and do better?
Winnipeg - Disappointing season. Are they still a young core going for cup?

None of these really jump out at me above another. I think i'll vote for San Jose, simply because they're in the West, and because i think a healthy Karlsson could do really well with them.

I think it's completely wide open this season.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Nope. To me it's almost the default/unanimous choice.

1. They were the best team by far last year (forget playoffs - i know it was a horrible showing)
2. Their roster still looks considering better than anyone elses this year
3. There are no real huge cup favorites this year vs last year, so it's easier for them to stand out (ex: I liked Washington's chances to repeat last year a lot more than Blues this year, as I thought Washington was the better team. Pittsburgh, winners of 2 of 3 also looked good at start of year. No one like that really stands out this year - which I think makes Tampa at #1 the very obvious choice)

kk87

Feb 12, 2015
Waterloo, ON

It should be 100%. They're objectively the most talented team in the league. It's not like people are saying they have a 67% chance to win the cup, they just have a better chance than any other team.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
Went Boston. Deep team with great top-end talent.

I'm surprised the Blues are winning this honestly. I would put them around 5 or so.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad