OT: HFB - Media/Fans Community - Full Interview with J.D Burke (30 min | May 14 | 2019)

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Last edited:

xtra

May 19, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
Ok imma add to this

Gradin and linden for the win - I won’t say more so people listen to your podcast.

Also you sound like my old boss completely and if you were in Montreal I’d question that

Reactions: Canucks LB

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Great job Luc. Really interesting interview. It's too bad he couldn't elaborate on Miller for 9th but it was understandable. Makes you think it was actually true.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Ok imma add to this

Gradin and linden for the win - I won’t say more so people listen to your podcast.

Also you sound like my old boss completely and if you were in Montreal I’d question that
It was absolutely the best part IMO of the interview, I had such an amazing time doing it, I wish I could do it for a living.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Good stuff.
I agreed with everything he said. The part about management teams focusing on irrelevant analytics with zero statistical correlation to winning just because they personally think it's important is something I can totally imagine the old school hockey guys doing. That way they can claim "I'm an analytics guy keeping up with the trends" while still satisfying their old hockey biases.
He mentioned the Canucks management team is one of biggest dinosaurs in the league, which should surprise no one.
Lol @ the RD stuff. Appreciate his honesty, and confirms what everyone already knew.

And again he confirmed something I've stressed on here before: The GM has heavy influence on the 1st round pick and sometimes the high 2nd round pick. Rounds 3-7 are purely the scouting staff, nothing to do with the GM.

Great job LB. The only small thing I noticed is you cut him off a bit too much, which hosts do sometimes, but then you went on for a bit too long. I suggest letting him finish, and if you do interject, maybe say your part quickly and then let him get back to what he was talking about. Other than that no gripes and thanks for putting this together.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Good stuff.
I agreed with everything he said. The part about management teams focusing on irrelevant analytics with zero statistical correlation to winning just because they personally think it's important is something I can totally imagine the old school hockey guys doing. That way they can claim "I'm an analytics guy keeping up with the trends" while still satisfying their old hockey biases.
He mentioned the Canucks management team is one of biggest dinosaurs in the league, which should surprise no one.
Lol @ the RD stuff. Appreciate his honesty, and confirms what everyone already knew.

And again he confirmed something I've stressed on here before: The GM has heavy influence on the 1st round pick and sometimes the high 2nd round pick. Rounds 3-7 are purely the scouting staff, nothing to do with the GM.

Great job LB. The only small thing I noticed is you cut him off a bit too much, which hosts do sometimes, but then you went on for a bit too long. I suggest letting him finish, and if you do interject, maybe say your part quickly and then let him get back to what he was talking about. Other than that no gripes and thanks for putting this together.

It’s actually kind of funny you mention that, because I purposely was holding back so much to not talk over him, there were so many times during the interview where I just wanted to have like a chitchat back-and-forth.

A few times I just seem to have to jump in, Especially early on when I was somewhat nervous, This is all fairly new to me so I tried to be as respectful and technical as I could be, but still show some of our personalities.

Another thing I would like to mention is I thought the interview was going to be around 15 to 20 minutes, It actually was going 30 minutes plus, it’s one of the reasons where I had to kind of get to the next questions, I think it would be kind of rude if we did a one hour interview.

Overall I had such an incredible time, I’m looking forward to the countless interviews coming up

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Just had a listen, great work LB! Thanks for putting in the time and effort, really appreciate the interview and questions posed to JD Burke.

Now, how to get rid of these dinosaurs running the front office.......................

DomY

Aug 11, 2008
It was absolutely the best part IMO of the interview, I had such an amazing time doing it, I wish I could do it for a living.

Nothing stopping you these days from trying. I don't know how old you are, but I always wanted to be a sports writer growing up and repeatedly put it off. I had developed my own version of capfriendly in college to share with my friends and participated in a few roundtable format discussions for private podcasts and applied to write for some blogs, but I "got to busy" and forgot about it. Now regular people are getting jobs in hockey, basically all the 1.0 CanucksArmy crowd are working in the NHL in some fashion, so I was clearly wrong and the hobby I so strongly wanted to develop into something more was actually achievable.

The thing I have noticed from the sudden passing of Botchford is that people are going out of their way to make sure that his mentees are being looked after. I hope that this becomes a defining feature of media in Vancouver. I would recommend that you continue honing your craft and don't be shy about reaching out for help.

We need an army.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Great great interview. Look forward to the others yet to come.

You did kind of misread my question, but the answer was great to hear all the same. Thanks for doing this.

I'll add that this format is great because a lot of times when you hear interviews on the radio or media you don't always get to hear the questions asked you want. Using this format allows for that, even if they can't answer sometimes their non answer is very revealing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Very solid podcast.

Overall I think you'll get more comfortable as you build up chemistry with your guests, I noticed there were some times where you would jump in and JD wasn't finished talking but that comes with experience and getting comfortable with the person you're talking with. The other feedback I would have is on your transitions from one question to the next, a couple times it felt a bit abrupt. Just improving that flow would help take it to another level. But again, overall I think it was excellent.

Now, in terms of the content:

I think JD's non-denial of the Miller for the 9th overall pick rumour shows that this actually happened. He couldn't elaborate because he needed to protect his sources, but it's quite clear that it did indeed happen. Justin Morissette from the Real Gud Show was also on twitter and confirmed this (suggesting that he received that tidbit from Botchford).

The other takeaways from this interview are also quite interesting, and just further show how idiotic Canucks management is. And, I know some people will hate to hear that Linden and Gradin are the reason Pettersson is here, not Delorme or Benning.

JD was also such a great interview, I hope you can have him on your show again in the future. I know you have a bunch of other guests coming up, but if you could continue to rotate guests and have repeat guests in the future after something big happens I think that would be awesome.

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
Really good and insightful, although you skipped my question, quickly skimming over it and then moving on. The bit about bad GMs not effectively utilizing analytics seems to corroborate the Real Good Show's assertion from late '16 / early '17 that Benning and co. sabotaged the reputation of Stathletes by having them produce data to justify their bad acquisitions

Reactions: y2kcanucks

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Really good and insightful, although you skipped my question, quickly skimming over it and then moving on. The bit about bad GMs not effectively utilizing analytics seems to corroborate the Real Good Show's assertion from late '16 / early '17 that Benning and co. sabotaged the reputation of Stathletes by having them produce data to justify their bad acquisitions
Sorry I ran into some time restraints, I did not wanna be rude to J.D.
Ill ask him next time.

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Yea LB is you plan to make this a show I. The long run or just doing it now as a side project
Honestly I just wanted to do a separate project, but if people enjoy it, I could do this periodically throughout the year.

I wanted to bring back something to HF Boards.

All up to you guys

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC
Honestly I just wanted to do a separate project, but if people enjoy it, I could do this periodically throughout the year.

I wanted to bring back something to HF Boards.

All up to you guys

Do it. Keep it going.

Wyatt Arndt might be another good one to have on the show. He lacks insider information but can probably tell some good stories. He worked closely with Botch and I often enjoyed his version of the Athletties/Provies too.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

Canucks LB

Oct 12, 2008
Do it. Keep it going.

Wyatt Arndt might be another good one to have on the show. He lacks insider information but can probably tell some good stories. He worked closely with Botch and I often enjoyed his version of the Athletties/Provies too.
He is already on the list my friend, all the people that I have on the front page in the main thread are confirmed

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad