HFAvs Ranks: The Worst Avalanche Player

Richard Doll

Feb 18, 2020
Saint Albans, Vermont
Not sure how he ranks with all the do-nothing Avs players throughout the team's history, but I feel MacDermid has to be on the list.

It's fun when he comes on the ice, because you know there is a chance for a dance, but in reality, he offers nothing offensively and offers nothing defensively, you can't put him on the ice in any meaningful situation and expect any kind of success.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
May might be my least favorite Av ever but he was slightly above serviceable in his role, which is better than at least half a dozen guys in the last decade or so.

HockeyFan100

Oct 7, 2012
Cliche? You know you're bad when Guenin and Bordeleau are putting up more points than you. I don't remember him doing anything particularly good outside of that either, just playing soft and losing tons of face offs.

He only played like 20 games but I remember Jordan Caron being just as bad if not worse.

thedoctor

                    
Aug 28, 2007
I don't see how it could be anyone other that Nate Guenin. An absolute turnstile without a single redeeming quality.

sethro109

🏒 🎮🏈🇺🇸🍻
Sponsor
May 3, 2011
Centennial, CO
Compher, Holden, Nemeth and Graves lost us more important games than anyone else that has been mentioned. Those four, under the guise of being good hockey players royally f***ed us.

The Moops

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2017
Earth
Face punchers usually don't have a soft spot in my heart, so guys like MacDermid and Worrell are just garbage tier players for me. Complete liabilities out there. Only guy I ever really liked was Bordy

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Brad May I just despised, but he wasn't a terrible player.

There are plenty better candidates on the list but the first 3 that popped in my mind,
(probably because they played enough games that I remember them, there were un-met expectations or they replaced someone I liked:
Nail Yakupov
Ryan Stoa
Face Punchers: (take your pick of David Koci, Brent Severyn, Jim Cummins, Peter Worrell)

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Matt Hunwick

Oh he's up there (or down there as the case may be). There are not words for how much I hate that guy.

It almost doesn't seem sporting to count goons, because we know they suck at hockey. So I'll list them separately. Peter Worrell was the single worst skater I've ever seen on NHL ice. I cannot believe he made it to the big leagues skating like a drunken sailor. Eric Belanger got a penalty at Frozen Fury making fun of how ridiculously awkward he looked on the ice. But skill-wise even he didn't frustrate me as much as MacDermid did last year. I don't know if that was as much him sucking or Bednar insisting on using him as a goddamned defenseman. Chris McAllister, Francois Lerroux, and David Koci are other guys who come to mind who simply had no business being on the ice. And yes, I think Brad May counts under this.

Anyway, I also have a hard time counting the guys who had a cup of coffee and left. Riku Hahl was pretty bad, Mironov DGAF whatsoever, the bevy of career minor leaguers who came and went that one year like Jordan Krestanovich, Jeff Daw, etc.

As far as "skill" players go, I still rank Marty Skoula down there. The actual talent was there, and when he focused on defense he wasn't too bad, but the moment he thought he could be Ray Bourque and tried to create offense, it was turnover city, not to mention that he didn't just telegraph passes, he sent signal flares to the other team indicating when and where he was going to send the puck.

I think in terms of "worst" though I'm gonna say...Bates Battaglia. Clearly got carried by two vastly superior players on that infamous "BBC" line in Carolina, showed up in Colorado after being traded for a legit scorer in Radim Vrbata, and couldn't even hack it as a third liner. Absolutely atrocious player, so bad that Lacroix quickly realized his mistake and packaged him up with sucky prospect Jonas Johansson (not to be confused with sucky goalie Jonas Johansson) for Steve Konowalchuk. That move right there at least saved what could have been a disastrous season. Also,, I mentioned this before, he won the season of The Amazing Race that a very old friend of mine also competed in (she came in third) so that's another reason for me to be annoyed with him.

Reactions: The Moops

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Cliche still haunts me, he was so bad and just kept wanting Avs to feed him ice time. He should've known better and how miserable he was with the extra time. He should've been a man and went to the coaching staff to ask them to reduce his role. He was also one of the worst PKers I've ever watched, I would rather have Barrie on the PK than this bloke.

The worst GM we've had was Giguere by far.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Face Punchers: (take your pick of David Koci, Brent Severyn, Jim Cummins, Peter Worrell)
I can't really call face punchers the worst Avs players ever because they absolutely knew their role and so did the coaching staff. It's players like SOB who didn't know their role and thought they were so much damper than they actually were.

Bone Breaker

Apr 2, 2015
Tokyo
since no one mentioned him yet, which imo is a travesty (show more respect for a legend, guys!), Ill drop Ryan O'Byrne. between him, Orr Brien, Hunybunny, General Guenin... cant go wrong, all amazing defenders.

Gruyeriev

Shut your five hole
Apr 14, 2021
since no one mentioned him yet, which imo is a travesty (show more respect for a legend, guys!), Ill drop Ryan O'Byrne. between him, Orr Brien, Hunybunny, General Guenin... cant go wrong, all amazing defenders.
O’Byrne gets a pass for finishing his shift after getting cut by a skate. Warrior! He wasn’t very good but he wasn’t close to the bottom of the list either.

Reactions: expatriatedtexan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad