Who is the Avs #7 Prospect?

• G - Adam Werner - 2016 #131 - (13)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Justus Annunen jumps a full ten spots up the rankings into the top 10 feet his strong season in Finland.

Added Adam Werner.

Also, sorry about the lateness, this weekend was crazy busy.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Foudy again.

I just dont see it with Bowers. I'm not even totally convinced he carves out an NHL career yet. Ya he's the maybe the most likely player to do so of the remaining bunch, but IMO he really needs to show more offensively before even getting to the point of an NHL call up. Then at absolute best I think he's a pretty average 3C and his realistic ceiling is a 4C for us.

A guy like Foudy has more to prove and a longer way to go to reach that level, but if he develops his game the right way, he has way more upside then Bowers off his speed alone.

I'd have Foudy and Kovalenko ahead here.

Struggling on who I want added here as well. I have quite a few guys still above Werner here as well :laugh:

I'll say add Mutala I think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Outbreaks

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
My biggest question with Bowers is positionally. He's not a real skilled player, so his ceiling is that of a 2nd liner at best, but most likely a 3rd/4th liner. Assuming a 3rd/4th line guy, the difference between him being a wing or center is pretty large. Now I think Foudy is a wing long-term too, but he is more skilled than Bowers and has a higher ceiling. If Bowers can line up and make an impact at center for the Eagles, that erases a big question mark and would move him ahead of Foudy to me. As long as that question remains, Foudy is my pick.

Reactions: PAZ

AvsInRhodey

Oct 26, 2020
Can't vote but suggest adding Gilbert. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if he's in this tier but curious to see what others think.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Bowers. I agree with the others, Foudy has the greater upside. Bowers has the higher floor. I expect him to slot into a 3C/4C role.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Bowers becoming a long term 3C would be a huge win for this org.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
Can't vote but suggest adding Gilbert. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know if he's in this tier but curious to see what others think.

Considering Gilbert will be 24 by the time this list is completed, I don't think he's eligible. That said, I don't think he'd be above Bowers, Kovalenko, or Foudy. Probably somewhere in the 12-15 range.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Considering Gilbert will be 24 by the time this list is completed, I don't think he's eligible. That said, I don't think he'd be above Bowers, Kovalenko, or Foudy. Probably somewhere in the 12-15 range.
Well, technically, if we had been doing it last summer like normal, he would have been eligible, because he "has not yet played the season of his 24th birthday". That would be THIS season, that started three weeks ago, in the non-Covid timeline. I would say he counts, barely, but that's not a hill I care to die on or anything.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Gilbert turns 24 in like 4 days. If we went with technically when the polls should have been done LOC’s Aug birthday would have kept him eligible too. Gilbert is still on the ELC tho, that’s one of my criteria. In general these fringe tweeners who are 23+ go against the point of a prospect poll but it’s also not super important to me, if we want to stick to rules to be consistent I get that too.

I’m going Bowers here, he’s in the tier with the guys already voted in. Gotta be careful not to take AHL production too linear and he does a lot of things right. It’s not just he’s older and playing pro. But he needs to take a real step to the NHL next year to keep this position.

Add Ranta. Ive written this in every poll thus far!

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
It's close between Foudy and Kovalenko. Kovalenko is more polished and projects better to the NHL at this moment in time, but he also has a pretty hard third line ceiling and there are questions that go along with being Russian as always. I like him a lot, but hard to put him over Foudy. Shiny new toy syndrome I guess, but with tools like he has his ceiling is higher, and I like that he has an older brother to help show him how to climb the ladder to the NHL.

I've already made my feelings on Bowers clear. I'm lower on him than most, I just never saw the offense to carry him to any kind of important role on an NHL team unless he becomes elite defensively.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Voted for Foudy again because of his upside.
Add Zhu.

Next one is a tough one. I think all of Bowers, Kovalenko and Werner are very close but I think Werner has the edge. I think he has potential to become a starter in the NHL if he solves his issue that he has when playing B2B games.

AvsInRhodey

Oct 26, 2020
Gilbert turns 24 in like 4 days. If we went with technically when the polls should have been done LOC’s Aug birthday would have kept him eligible too. Gilbert is still on the ELC tho, that’s one of my criteria. In general these fringe tweeners who are 23+ go against the point of a prospect poll but it’s also not super important to me, if we want to stick to rules to be consistent I get that too.

I’m going Bowers here, he’s in the tier with the guys already voted in. Gotta be careful not to take AHL production too linear and he does a lot of things right. It’s not just he’s older and playing pro. But he needs to take a real step to the NHL next year to keep this position.

Add Ranta. Ive written this in every poll thus far!

Gilbert is definitely a tweener but as a defensive d-man his "arrival date" was always going to be a little latter then others. Not sure where he slots into this list but I'm particularly interested in learning more about him because: 1) someone in our front office wanted him and I'd like to find out why, and 2) being new to our organization but not recently drafted, it's hard to find any solid info on how good he actually is and how his development has been tracking. This poll/board is one of few places that would I trust to get a sense of his overall value and range of likely outcomes. From a layman's perspective, he seems like a low ceiling guy but he may only be another year or so away from filling a #6-7 role as a steady, physical d-man. With Big Z gone, and Cole and Graves (Exp Draft) potentially on the way out next off-season, is it reasonable to assume Gilbert may be in a position to fill some of that physical/PK role in 21-22? Does he look good enough to get an injury call-up this season above guys like MacDonald or Burroughs?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I think it’s worthwhile to have that convo. Leaving that up to the poll comes down more to how folks value tweeners and I think that gets outside the spirit of what a prospect rank is but all this stuff is very grey area as it is.

From what I’ve dug up myself it seems Gilbert sorta hit a ceiling in the Chicago org. He got some callups and he just wasn’t sticking despite their desperation on defense. So it was looking like he’s just a guy that you are good with for a few games but that’s about it. Of course a fresh start can help (see Graves) and I’m sure the Avs will give him a test drive at some point.

Where do I put that here if I was forced to vote, maybe around 10ish depending if Ranta ever gets voted in lol. I’d probably put he and others of that ilk after the Kovy/Ranta group but before the Beaucage/Mutala and right around with Werner.

AvsInRhodey

Oct 26, 2020
I think it’s worthwhile to have that convo. Leaving that up to the poll comes down more to how folks value tweeners and I think that gets outside the spirit of what a prospect rank is but all this stuff is very grey area as it is.

From what I’ve dug up myself it seems Gilbert sorta hit a ceiling in the Chicago org. He got some callups and he just wasn’t sticking despite their desperation on defense. So it was looking like he’s just a guy that you are good with for a few games but that’s about it. Of course a fresh start can help (see Graves) and I’m sure the Avs will give him a test drive at some point.

Where do I put that here if I was forced to vote, maybe around 10ish depending if Ranta ever gets voted in lol. I’d probably put he and others of that ilk after the Kovy/Ranta group but before the Beaucage/Mutala and right around with Werner.

Thanks for the info. Interesting to hear he seemingly topped out with Chicago. That makes me question if he saw the writing on the wall and asked for a trade, which led to him being swapped with Lindholm at Chicago's request. This would run against my first impression, which was that he was included because the Avs asked for him specifically thinking we saw something that maybe Chicago didn't. Either way, I'm happy we have him now and hope he can solidify his game with us.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My only expectation for Gilbert is that he be good at the AHL level. If he has any sort of NHL upside, even just in spot duty as the 7th guy, that's just gravy and already a vast improvement over Lindholm.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad