Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Taylor Makar - 2021 #220 - (24)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Sampo Ranta wins round 7, jumping one spot after playing in some NHL games last season.

1) Sean Behrens - D
2) Oskar Olausson - RW
3) Ben Meyers - C
4) Justus Annunen - G
5) Jean-Luc Foudy - C
6) Martin Kaut - RW
7) Sampo Ranta - LW

Added Ivan Zhigalov and Taylor Makar to the polls, we're going to add two more to the polls again next round, then go down to one per round.

Remaining prospects to be added:

Nate Clurman
Nikolai Kovalenko
Nick Leivermann
Trent Miner
Shamil Shmakov
Tyler Weiss

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Ambrosio again, highest upside left by a fair bit. After this it feels like the rest of the polls will just be "Who do you like?"

Add Kovalenko and Leivermann, I've always liked Leivermann. I hope we keep his rights somehow.

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Steinburg. Hoping he can be a unique skill set amongst our guys and prove the doubters wrong

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020
I know everyone has different ways to rate prospects but would anyone really take someone over Bowers at current skill level? I know he's lost his shine but his overall body of work and skill set seems like it's much better than anyone left. Merely curious on some of the thoughts.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Bowers’ waiver exemption is up so pretty much the second he gets waived he’s not a prospect anymore because there’s no value. With the others there’s the hope they get to their first real camp and the AHL and have some sort of mindblowing debut, unlikely but it’s the unknown that gives them value. Maybe the Avs plan to give Stienburg a chance, the last name doesn’t hurt.

For me situation can’t be ignored, how a player’s trajectory is going in the org matters. There has to be realistic path of what the next step is, how the org has set them up for the next step. If the year ends with them largely forgotten then there’s nothing that’s going to change suddenly in training camp. Bowers is an example of a good camp doesn’t even buy them anything.

Its easy to give the college guys a bunch of benefit of the doubt because they haven’t had to prove anything yet and also have not been tested by the whims of the org. Once a guy hits the AHL the clock starts to tick but it’s also easier to see if there’s any sort of path to the NHL emerging. Usually there isn’t but having any sort of positive result in the AHL weighs a bunch more than college success imo. But to your question Bowers is out of runway, there’s no hope left.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Bowers’ waiver exemption is up so pretty much the second he gets waived he’s not a prospect anymore because there’s no value. With the others there’s the hope they get to their first real camp and the AHL and have some sort of mindblowing debut, unlikely but it’s the unknown that gives them value. Maybe the Avs plan to give Stienburg a chance, the last name doesn’t hurt.

For me situation can’t be ignored, how a player’s trajectory is going in the org matters. There has to be realistic path of what the next step is, how the org has set them up for the next step. If the year ends with them largely forgotten then there’s nothing that’s going to change suddenly in training camp. Bowers is an example of a good camp doesn’t even buy them anything.

Its easy to give the college guys a bunch of benefit of the doubt because they haven’t had to prove anything yet and also have not been tested by the whims of the org. Once a guy hits the AHL the clock starts to tick but it’s also easier to see if there’s any sort of path to the NHL emerging. Usually there isn’t but having any sort of positive result in the AHL weighs a bunch more than college success imo. But to your question Bowers is out of runway, there’s no hope left.
Plenty of players have been waived and still go on to good careers, even with the team that waived them. Even the Avs have waived players and they’ve ended up good NHL players with the Avs… Graves is a recent example. They aren’t worthless right away.

IMO The two biggest issues with Bowers… he just doesn’t have much skill and he’s got attitude issues. The latter is more of an issue for a 4th line sort of role and with the Avs. If he can check that at the door, he has the size and skating to claw out a 4th line role.

Andrew Wiggin

Feb 8, 2020

Oh I definitely get that he is out of runway here in a lot of ways, I think that is on him in some ways but also bad luck and the organization didn't do him any favors for development either. I would just bet on him having more of a career in the NHL than all but a couple of guys on our list so far, so to your point it isn't always about skill but trajectory, path etc.

Oh I definitely get that he is out of runway here in a lot of ways, I think that is on him in some ways but also bad luck and the organization didn't do him any favors for development either. I would just bet on him having more of a career in the NHL than all but a couple of guys on our list so far, so to your point it isn't always about skill but trajectory, path etc
Plenty of players have been waived and still go on to good careers, even with the team that waived them. Even the Avs have waived players and they’ve ended up good NHL players with the Avs… Graves is a recent example. They aren’t worthless right away.

IMO The two biggest issues with Bowers… he just doesn’t have much skill and he’s got attitude issues. The latter is more of an issue for a 4th line sort of role and with the Avs. If he can check that at the door, he has the size and skating to claw out a 4th line role.
Yeah I can definitely see the attitude issues but can understand some of the frustration on his part. I was really hopeful last camp he looked pretty good and fit some of the things we needed for the bottom six, that got derailed by COVID and then got buried on the bottom line in the AHL, so didn't really give him the opportunity to show much.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Another problem with Bowers is anytime he has started to look pretty good he got injured.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com

Very very few examples of guys who get waived and stick, any success stories are those on 2nd and 3rd chances. The whole stay in the AHL until 24-25 is a total myth. At that point guys are getting looks like Dries because they are AHL vets not real NHL roster players.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Another problem with Bowers is anytime he has started to look pretty good he got injured.
The injured thing is overblown and everyone in the AHL gets injured. There isn’t anyone who doesn’t lose a month or two a year and if they do escape it gets them the next year. The shortened season he played 28 of 34 games. Last year he was healthy from mid December through the rest of the season. He’s played 117 AHL games in his career, considering the half covid season that’s pretty typical after three years.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
The injured thing is overblown and everyone in the AHL gets injured. There isn’t anyone who doesn’t lose a month or two a year and if they do escape it gets them the next year. The shortened season he played 28 of 34 games. Last year he was healthy from mid December through the rest of the season. He’s played 117 AHL games in his career, considering the half covid season that’s pretty typical after three years.
Over the last 3 seasons he played 71.5% of the regular season games.
Over the last 2 seasons he played 63.7% of the regular season games.
Last season he played 54.4% of the regular season games.

Although I agree that AHL players tend to get hurt more I would argue that this is not a very good trend and I very much doubt that is "pretty typical" of AHL players.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Barron was out a month, Kaut a month, Beaucage 2 months, Ranta 2 months, Bowers 2 months. Only prospect that didn’t was Foudy because apparently he’s Gumbi. There was also missed time for healthy scratches at the end of the season. AHLers also lose games getting callups to the NHL, where they may or may not play so there is a typical missed time factor.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Barron was out a month, Kaut a month, Beaucage 2 months, Ranta 2 months, Bowers 2 months. Only prospect that didn’t was Foudy because apparently he’s Gumbi. There was also missed time for healthy scratches at the end of the season. AHLers also lose games getting callups to the NHL, where they may or may not play so there is a typical missed time factor.
I guess time will tell if he is injury-prone or not.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Very very few examples of guys who get waived and stick, any success stories are those on 2nd and 3rd chances. The whole stay in the AHL until 24-25 is a total myth. At that point guys are getting looks like Dries because they are AHL vets not real NHL roster players.
It might not be the most common path, but there are plenty of guys who have gone that path over the years. Usually a guy or two a team. It is very rare they end up a Gourde or March, but a McDermid or NAK… not really uncommon. A Graves sort falls in between not common, but see it from time to time.

Not saying Bowers is that (I don’t think he is), but waivers isn’t the end all be all.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad