Votes: 0 0.0%
  • RW - Martin Kaut - 2018 #16 - (7)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Going with Meyers here, his NHL readiness is just too far along to be ignored. Olausson is close, but he's very boom or bust, I'm going with the safe option here even though he's much older and has a lower ceiling. This should be an interesting one though.

Add Ranta.

Last edited:

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Prefer Olausson here... he's got top 6 upside and tools. Meyers for all of his pros, his upside more likely to be a good 3rd liner than ever becoming a 2nd liner. The gap in value there can just be too large even though Meyers is a center. Very close though.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Prefer Olausson here... he's got top 6 upside and tools. Meyers for all of his pros, his upside more likely to be a good 3rd liner than ever becoming a 2nd liner. The gap in value there can just be too large even though Meyers is a center. Very close though.
Do you think Meyers has a high-end 3rd line ceiling?

If I'm not mistaken people were talking about this guy as the best NCAA free agent signing since Tyler Bozak, and Bozak for his career put up high-end 3rd line/low-end 2nd line numbers.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Olausson certainly has the best tools of any Avs prospect. Size/skating/ and especially shot is all there. He needs some time though.

I've been a big fan of Meyers for years. He should have a solid NHL career, but likely tops out as a 50ish point player if he even end up that good. His value will be his all around game.

Not sure we have too much to be excited about beyond these 2 and Behrens.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Olausson was under PPG in the OHL on his D+1 season. I get the adaptation period to North American hockey but still, that doesn't scream high end offense to me.

Rants had better numbers in the AHL at the same age than OO had in the OHL. Not great.

Reactions: shadow1

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
If Olausson becomes a NHL player he’s Burakovsky. Not sure that’s considered high end. His shot is elite. He beat NHL goalies with it in preseason. That might be all he can ever do but it’s a real tool.

Hes playing pro next year too btw, I’m not sure why that was such a question mark as it seemed obvious to me but Klippenstien confirmed that in a recent interview.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Do you think Meyers has a high-end 3rd line ceiling?

If I'm not mistaken people were talking about this guy as the best NCAA free agent signing since Tyler Bozak, and Bozak for his career put up high-end 3rd line/low-end 2nd line numbers.
I wouldn't say high end 3C... to me a high end 3C is a guy who chips in 45-50 points a year and can matchup defensively while being able to do that in lesser minutes if needed. To some that is probably a low end 2C. I don't think Meyers has that in him, especially on the defensive end. On the offensive end, it wouldn't shock me to see him be in the 45-50 range.

To me, Bozak was never a 3C type until late in his career. He was fed 1/2C minutes with a high end 1st line winger... and still produced mediocre results for the minutes. Fine player, but he was more of a low end 2C who was deeply flawed as a player. Meyers is more well rounded, but likely isn't capable of being a top 6 minute guy.

95snipes

Dec 11, 2019
Production wasn't great and he is far from a sure thing, but Olausson has legit NHL tools to be a top 6 player.

It's weird, from my viewings, he looked like he belonged in a completely different league when he was with Barrie (who was a bad team). Best player, or at minimum, most dangerous player on the ice each time. Then when he got traded to Oshawa, I thought he'd explode, and it was the total opposite. Looked fairly pedestrian and wasn't as engaged outside the nice play here and there. Or snipe from nowhere. I didn't watch every game by any means, but he wasn't getting 1st unit PP time in some of those I saw. Just stat watching, he started very slow with only 4 points in his first 12 games with Oshawa.

Not sure what to make of that.

As others mentioned his shot is very clearly NHL caliber. He proved it in pre season, he proved it in the OHL, and he proved it in the World Juniors. Also has plus size and skating.

Reactions: Balthazar

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I don’t think getting traded in juniors really does many favors unless it’s truly getting out of some toxic situation. Guys that age just need to feel comfortable and taking a guy who just got settled into North America with billets and the team, etc to doing that all over again just isn’t helpful. Olausson was really just sort of putting in his time to get through it, juniors wasn’t really the place for him but it was too soon to start the AHL clock and they wanted him in North America so there wasn’t a better option. His first year pro will tell a lot about what trajectory he’s really on.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
OO has talent in bunches… size, shot, skating, strength. He hasn’t shown much IQ or desire. Most of the pandemic players are looking raw compared to their ages… the enigmatic and raw ones look even worse. I think that showed last year in the OHL. Until these players get more games under their belt it is really hard to say if it is just inexperience or just a bad hockey player. Last season was pretty disappointing for OO, but he falls in that enigmatic category of player. How he develops in the next two years will be important, but we should have an idea 25 into this season. He has the talent to carry him to the NHL… just a matter of everything else.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Voted Meyers as he's more of a sure thing than Olausson, along with being a center. It's s coin flip though as OO has a higher ceiling.

Add Ambrosio.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Voted Meyers as he's more of a sure thing than Olausson, along with being a center. It's s coin flip though as OO has a higher ceiling.

Add Ambrosio.
I feel the same way. Very close between the two but I feel OO has too many question marks to go with him at #2 regardless of his upside. So going with Meyers here.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
Say you were to assign a trade value to Meyers, say his drafting team out him up for auction this off season.

I'd say a 2nd.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Oloussen had a pretty disappointing year, so I went with Meyers.

OO has great tools, but I expected a lot more from his D+1 season. He looks a lot like Burakovsky, but Bura had 41 goals and 87 points with Erie. Oloussen was nowhere close to that.

I thought Meyers looked good in the little I saw from him with the Avs last year. I think he’s going to end up a 3rd liner this season.

lionsDen

Hated And Proud
Jan 26, 2022
I went with meyers because he’ll be in the nhl next year. In my opinion he’s. Bottom six player. There are others who have better potential. Add ranta

Chiarelli

Jan 27, 2019
Oloussen had a pretty disappointing year, so I went with Meyers.

OO has great tools, but I expected a lot more from his D+1 season. He looks a lot like Burakovsky, but Bura had 41 goals and 87 points with Erie. Oloussen was nowhere close to that.

I thought Meyers looked good in the little I saw from him with the Avs last year. I think he’s going to end up a 3rd liner this season.
Bura also played with McDavid his D+1 which is worth mentioning

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Bura also played with McDavid his D+1 which is worth mentioning

True and that team was loaded, but OO’s production just wasn’t where it should have been this year.

Hopefully it’s just an outlier for him, but it’s disturbing enough for me to rank Meyers ahead of him.

UncleRisto

Not Great, Bob!
Jul 7, 2012
Finland
Generational AE tongue.
Sampo-Ranta.jpg

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’m not really sure what y’all were expecting, its like the send Foudy back to light it up and he doesn’t would be the same thing. Either way it’s just good preparation to end up with 20 points in the AHL like everyone does anyway.

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad