Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll 2021 #6

Who is the Avs #6 Prospect?

• C - Colby Ambrosio - 2020 #118 - (14)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Shane Bowers - 2017 #28 (TR) - (7)

• RW - Alex Beaucage - 2019 #78 - (13)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Personally, I have a hard time seeing Ranta becoming more than a good third line winger. Where as Helleson, Foudy and Behrens all have potential to play higher up or in a more important position. Based on world junior showings I think Helleson was much more impressive than Barron and with him Barron transitioned to the AHL it gives me hope that Helleson will have similar success. Couple that with Helleson taking a bigger jump in year 2 versus Sampo and as previously mentioned my view of top potential, I have a hard time putting Ranta ahead of DH.
It’s REALLY difficult to have top 6 and top 4 D upside in the NHL. Foudy is also looking at middle six at best, Helleson bottom pairing. Behrens maybe more but he needs to play NCAA first let alone AHL.

Reactions: shadow1

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why would you not vote Sampo at this point? He was named All-American, scored the most goals in the NCAA outside of Caufield, was .5 PPG in the AHL and played in the second round of the NHL playoffs. Nobody had a better season than him that’s left on this poll.

There are factors beyond just the season a prospect is coming off of. Ranta is in this grouping and I think he should be ahead of Kaut, but I don't think it is cut and dry that Ranta is the best here.

NCAA stats (and stats in general) should be taken with grains of salt IMO. I think you need to see production out of players, but having production doesn't equate to them being a sure success. Nor do production comparison (everybody recall the Brady/Bowers numbers?) The amount of no names that have finished 2nd (or 1st or top 5) in goals in the NCAA is a very long list.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
It’s REALLY difficult to have top 6 and top 4 D upside in the NHL. Foudy is also looking at middle six at best, Helleson bottom pairing. Behrens maybe more but he needs to play NCAA first let alone AHL.

I was personally more impressed with the flashes I saw from Foudy in the AHL versus Ranta. I thought Foudy showed better poise and vision mixed in with a more smooth transition game. On top of this, I think the potential for Foudy to become a center adds additional value. I get that Ranta might be closer to getting games, but he’s also 2 years older. The games Ranta played in, in playoffs I thought he looked blatantly bland if not bad in, so I don’t know if that adds much to the argument for Ranta.

Now in terms of Helleson, I believe you have a pessimistic view of him if you see him maxing out as a bottom pairing guy. If you took the same view for Ranta I think he’s not an NHL player as his IQ may not allow him to make the jump his physical attributes suggest he should. If he’s unable to PK/play solid defense you would need an offensively driven fourth line to place him on and even then it is yet to be seen if he can produce at the NHL level.

Ultimately, I believe all three prospects are within the same tier and it’s a toss up as to who will end up better.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
There are factors beyond just the season a prospect is coming off of. Ranta is in this grouping and I think he should be ahead of Kaut, but I don't think it is cut and dry that Ranta is the best here.

NCAA stats (and stats in general) should be taken with grains of salt IMO. I think you need to see production out of players, but having production doesn't equate to them being a sure success. Nor do production comparison (everybody recall the Brady/Bowers numbers?) The amount of no names that have finished 2nd (or 1st or top 5) in goals in the NCAA is a very long list.
I mean I watched Ranta at every level too.

I remember when Mikko played his 9 games in the NHL, did absolutely nothing with them centering Jack Skille and Cody McLoed and there were whispers that maybe he was just AHL good.

We’ll see how production doesn’t mean anything when we get to Bowers lol.

So I know a thing or two about context.

Last edited:

Barklez

Bednar Fanboy
Mar 27, 2011
BC

I remember when Mikko played his 9 games in the NHL, did absolutely nothing with them centering Jack Skille and Cody McLoed and there were whispers that maybe he was just AHL good.

So maybe it’s just a difference of opinion then? Although you’ve come very close to admitting that Behrens has the highest upside, but is youngest and that’s why you have Ranta higher so…

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012

I don't recall Mikko getting slammed, just people saying he wasn't ready...

You might want to re-read what I said. You need production out of players, but production doesn't mean they are successful. A pure lack of production is a bad sign. That doesn't apply to Ranta here. When we get to Bowers, we have to worry more about sulking and attitude more than production first and foremost.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I don't recall Mikko getting slammed, just people saying he wasn't ready...

You might want to re-read what I said. You need production out of players, but production doesn't mean they are successful. A pure lack of production is a bad sign. That doesn't apply to Ranta here. When we get to Bowers, we have to worry more about sulking and attitude more than production first and foremost.
Uhh what? Unless somebody can provide me with some type of concrete evidence of something that’s changed drastically since the season ended this is one of the boldest straight up dead wrong takes ever thrown on here. Unless of course you meant someone else which is really what I think happened lol.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Uhh what? Unless somebody can provide me with some type of concrete evidence of something that’s changed drastically since the season ended this is one of the boldest straight up dead wrong takes ever thrown on here. Unless of course you meant someone else which is really what I think happened lol.

Bowers didn't take well to his demotion last year.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007

Roy also had him playing LW with the legend Borna Rendulic on the right side. I can't remember who was the center on that line. Good times.

Reactions: shadow1

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
Why would you not vote Sampo at this point? He was named All-American, scored the most goals in the NCAA outside of Caufield, was .5 PPG in the AHL and played in the second round of the NHL playoffs. Nobody had a better season than him that’s left on this poll.

Couldn’t agree more, I think/hope Ranta is a third liner floor, second liner ceiling if he reaches that level. Narrow band floor to ceiling IMO, but lots to like and what we need more of (depth players developed from within).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad