Who is the Avs #4 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
A lot of options at this position with fair arguments but the difference for me is pro experience. I’m good with Oskar here on upside but you have a similar player in Ranta who has already played in the NHL. I also can’t justify Helleson over Ranta, Foudy and Kaut. He’s not a pro and his ceiling isn’t high enough to put him past the aforementioned. Agree Kaut is an NHLer elsewhere and it’s a tragedy to bring him back for a fourth AHL season and take minutes away from the other guys who need them.

Add Ambrosio and Bowers

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
A lot of options at this position with fair arguments but the difference for me is pro experience. I’m good with Oskar here on upside but you have a similar player in Ranta who has already played in the NHL. I also can’t justify Helleson over Ranta, Foudy and Kaut. He’s not a pro and his ceiling isn’t high enough to put him past the aforementioned. Agree Kaut is an NHLer elsewhere and it’s a tragedy to bring him back for a fourth AHL season and take minutes away from the other guys who need them.

Add Ambrosio and Bowers

I'm rooting for Kaut to find his NHL game, but the way he played in his callups last year, I'm not sure he would have stayed up with another NHL team either. They just weren't very good performances. He was much better in his callups the previous season.

Last season was a weird one though for obvious reasons. Perhaps Kaut's routine or mental approach was impacted by having a heart condition during COVID. Just speculation on my part.

If so, maybe he can reset mentally and have a good camp or perform better in his callups next year.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Kaut was impacted by playing during the Avs’ worst stretch in the regular season, all on the road, 4/5 losses and right after the second covid break and with his most common teammates were PEB and Nemeth. No he’s never going to be the tryhard they envision so I guess that part is on him.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Kaut was impacted by playing during the Avs’ worst stretch in the regular season, all on the road, 4/5 losses and right after the second covid break and with his most common teammates were PEB and Nemeth. No he’s never going to be the tryhard they envision so I guess that part is on him.

He didn't stand out at all though. He looked pretty tentative. You can still stand out and be a presence on a bad team or with 4th liners. You just need to hustle and work hard.

Didn't seem like Kaut was doing that last year for whatever reason. He did the previous year though.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Seven players receiving votes in the #4 spot is a new record. Not just because we're adding extra options early, either, usually the opinions don't get this varied until the 8 or 10 spot. I guess it says some good things about our pool that we have so many guys who have legit arguments to make the top 5.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Seven players receiving votes in the #4 spot is a new record. Not just because we're adding extra options early, either, usually the opinions don't get this varied until the 8 or 10 spot. I guess it says some good things about our pool that we have so many guys who have legit arguments to make the top 5.

Yeah, I think our pool lacks the guaranteed NHL talent that the best pools in the league have, but I quite like the depth in term sof guys with a legit shot.

Rumplesnipeskin

Bar Down
Nov 30, 2011
Colorado
I voted Ranta because he seems to continue getting better, and making the step at every next-level he goes. Might not adjust immediately, but smart and hard working enough to move along the learning/development curve… and certainly not a bad player to begin with. Looking forward to what this season brings for him, wherever he plays. Should be a nice litmus test.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I don't think the depth is all that good... I don't see high chances at more than 4-6 NHLers out of the group... only up to 9-11 that have a shot. That's pretty low across the league IMO.

Reactions: tigervixxxen

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I dont agree at all with that assessment

I just don't see a ton of NHL talent here. Overall (not my pure thoughts) I think we could come with a reasonable consensus here of... 2 very obvious NHLers in Byram and Newhook. Then the couple of guys with flaws that should have a good shot in Olausson and Barron. Then the group of obvious flaws but a shot in Behrens, Foudy, Helleson, Maltsev, Ranta, Ambrosio, Annunen, and Kaut. Then the long shots in Bowers, Buyalski, Zhura, Kovalenko, Beaucage, Leivermann, Miner, and Weiss.

I would squabble at some of the levels there, but that should be pretty close to most thoughts. Avs should go 2 for 2 in the first group. 1 of 2 on the second group would be good. 2 or 3 of 8 on the next group is probably on the high side. Then maybe 1 of the long shots. If the Avs can get 7 NHLers out of this group, they'll have done a phenomenal job. By NHLer I mean 200+ games, full time NHLer for a few seasons... not a 50 game bounce around ala Lindholm.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I voted Kaut but I worry he's just too specialized to really cement a role on an NHL roster. His game doesn't fit that of a 4th liner at all, but he's also not quite good enough to snag a scoring line role, so it's third line winger or nothing.

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I just don't see a ton of NHL talent here. Overall (not my pure thoughts) I think we could come with a reasonable consensus here of... 2 very obvious NHLers in Byram and Newhook. Then the couple of guys with flaws that should have a good shot in Olausson and Barron. Then the group of obvious flaws but a shot in Behrens, Foudy, Helleson, Maltsev, Ranta, Ambrosio, Annunen, and Kaut. Then the long shots in Bowers, Buyalski, Zhura, Kovalenko, Beaucage, Leivermann, Miner, and Weiss.

I would squabble at some of the levels there, but that should be pretty close to most thoughts. Avs should go 2 for 2 in the first group. 1 of 2 on the second group would be good. 2 or 3 of 8 on the next group is probably on the high side. Then maybe 1 of the long shots. If the Avs can get 7 NHLers out of this group, they'll have done a phenomenal job. By NHLer I mean 200+ games, full time NHLer for a few seasons... not a 50 game bounce around ala Lindholm.
Well I think you're vastly underestimating the potential of all of our prospects. This will for sure be our lineup in 2022/23 when we repeat as cup champions:

Landeskog -- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Ranta --------- Newhook --- Olausson
Foudy ----------- Jost ------- Kaut
Bowers ------- Maltsev ----- O'Connor
(Ambrosio/Buyalski/Kovalenko/Weiss/Beaucage)

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Barron
Byram -- Helleson
Behrens
(Zhuravlyov/Leivermann)

Annunen
Miner

/sarcasm

expatriatedtexan

Habitual Line Stepper
Aug 17, 2005
Well I think you're vastly underestimating the potential of all of our prospects. This will for sure be our lineup in 2022/23 when we repeat as cup champions:

Landeskog -- Mackinnon -- Rantanen
Ranta --------- Newhook --- Olausson
Foudy ----------- Jost ------- Kaut
Bowers ------- Maltsev ----- O'Connor
(Ambrosio/Buyalski/Kovalenko/Weiss/Beaucage)

Toews -- Makar
Girard -- Barron
Byram -- Helleson
Behrens
(Zhuravlyov/Leivermann)

Annunen
Miner

/sarcasm
Gotta break up that first line to compete doh...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad