Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll 2021 #4

Who is the Avs #4 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Justin Barron wins the #3 poll with a strong majority.

Added Sampo Ranta and Justus Annunen. We'll continue to add two prospects per poll until we reach 10 choices.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Let the bloodbath begin! I went with OO here, but it was really close with Foudy. Olausson has the higher ceiling, and I think Foudy is still a little ways away from being an NHL contributor, despite still being very high on him and his potential.

I guess add Ambrosio and Maltsev.

Last edited:

TatteredTornNFrayed

very angry indeed
Jan 15, 2008
It took a little while for me to warm to this pick, but I now like Olausson a bit ahead of Kaut, Foudy, and Helleson.

Add Beaucage
Add Ambrosio

Avs44

May 16, 2011
Behrens…think he has the highest upside of the remaining group.

With Pierce on this, add both Ambrosio and Maltsev. Maltsev definitely belongs — limited upside but a real shot at being a role player for a while in the league.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I’m not a huge fan of him but I’m still going with Kaut. I think he’s an NHL’er if he’s on a lot of other teams. He didn’t exactly wow anyone in his short stint last year but he still looked good enough to play, just not over the guys in the Avs top 9.

hockeyfish

Feb 23, 2007
DENVER!!!!!!!
This was a tough call. Went with Ranta, but I'll admit that was more of a gut feeling than anything. I feel like the others all have a claim for this spot though.

Add Bowers and bear cage.

Reactions: AnimalMother73

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I’m not a huge fan of him but I’m still going with Kaut. I think he’s an NHL’er if he’s on a lot of other teams. He didn’t exactly wow anyone in his short stint last year but he still looked good enough to play, just not over the guys in the Avs top 9.
He's going to drop a bit, but I think his AHL season shouldn't be overlooked. He had a really good year down there when he wasn't in taxi squad limbo. He isn't the shiny new toy anymore but I agree that he's right on the cusp of being an NHL contributor.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Avs44

May 16, 2011
I don’t think the Avs are the best organization to maximize his potential, so as long as he’s here I don’t think he’s really got a shot at being better than some of these other guys. In the last couple seasons it seems the Avs have really started to target guys who fit the philosophy of the current NHL roster. I remember the interview a year ago where he mentioned the Avs said he should look at guys like Calvert, carve out a role like that to make the Avs…he just isn’t that guy, though, and that means he probably will struggle to crack this club. He doesn’t play with the pace Bednar wants in the bottom six; and he won’t make the top six barring horrible injuries. Ideally he’d be traded, he’d do well elsewhere I think.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
Tough choice. Ultimately I went with Helleson due to a bit of recency bias. He had a strong WJC on Team USA's top shutdown pair with Sanderson and the way he plays projects well for a role on the Avs in 1-2 years.

Add Maltsev and Bowers.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
Behrens has the most talent of all these guys so I went with him.

Add Beaucage and Bowers.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Helleson seems very projectable to the pro level.

Can’t see him becoming a top pair guy, but I think he’s a pretty safe bet to make it and could be a #4 eventually.

Reactions: Richard88

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Justin Barron wins the #3 poll with a strong majority.

Added Sampo Ranta and Justus Annunen. We'll continue to add two prospects per poll until we reach 10 choices.
I feel like I'm telling you this every year but it's always nice when you keep an updated list of previous results in the OP every time that you start a new thread so people don't have to go dig in old threads to see who went at which position. :thumbu:

#1- Bowen Byram
#2- Alex Newhook
#3- Justin Barron
#4- TBD

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019
Maybe the small five game sample size with the Avs last year soured me too much on Kaut.

After all he did have a great season with the Eagles. It just seems like the coaching staff is publicly hard on him more than other prospects.

I still think he has the IQ and shot to be a 3rd liner. He just needs to play well in camp, or early on with the Eagles this season to get some decent minutes at the NHL level.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I feel like I'm telling you this every year but it's always nice when you keep an updated list of previous results in the OP every time that you start a new thread so people don't have to go dig in old threads to see who went at which position. :thumbu:

#1- Bowen Byram
#2- Alex Newhook
#3- Justin Barron
#4- TBD
I have the main thread pinned at the top, which I'm keeping updated as we run through the polls, but yes, that's a good idea.

Reactions: Balthazar

Oblivion Beckons

Jan 20, 2021
Foudy has impressed me quite a bit far. I also strongly believe him as non first round pick that will be an NHL player.

Metallo

NWOBHM forever \m/
Feb 14, 2010
Québec, QC
I know nothing so I voted for the new toy because the Avs seem excited about him. Gonna vote for Kaut next.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad