Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll 2021 #15

Who is the Avs #15 Prospect?

• D - Nick Leivermann - 2017 #187 - (20)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • C - Matthew Stienburg - 2019 #63 - (17)

• G - Trent Miner - 2019 #202 - (Unranked)

• D - Nate Clurman - 2016 #161 - (22)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Nikolai Kovalenko lands at #14, falling five spots from last year.

1) Bowen Byram
2) Alex Newhook
3) Justin Barron
4) Oskar Olausson
5) Martin Kaut
6) Drew Helleson
7) Jean-Luc Foudy
8) Sampo Ranta
9) Sean Behrens
10) Justus Annunen
11) Mikhail Maltsev
12) Shane Bowers
13) Colby Ambrosio
14) Nikolai Kovalenko

Added Nate Clurman.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I'm OK with Beaucage here, he does have a real knack for being in the right place at the right time to score goals. Skating still a giant weakness, but if he manages to improve to just "below average" we could have a winner.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Beaucage is the most talented left here. I fear for the organization’s “plan” for him but there’s no better argument for these other guys.

Add Nick Henry who once was Beaucage

Richard88

John 3:16
Jun 29, 2019
I can see the argument for Beaucage, and he'll probably win this round, but I'm throwing a vote Buyalski's way. His skating is awesome and he's fun to watch.

Add Nils Åman.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
For the record, we have just Henry, Shmakov, and Åman left to add. It really doesn't matter to me at this point as I see a flat zero chance of any of them making an impact anywhere, but add Henry, I guess.

cinchronicity

Jan 16, 2021
Durango
I went Beaucage and will go Wingerlii after him. I don't think anyone else on the list even gets a cup of coffee in the bigs.

Vaslof

Feb 1, 2017
Wingerli could at least be the type that gets a handful of games and then returns to Europe.

Getting some NHL games at #15 in the prospect pool is pretty good. We're in the territory where it's becoming unlikely anyone reaches the NHL.

Beaucage has some mad potential, but has only played against juniors. In the next ranking he could shoot up the ranks if he can play against men in the AHL and still score goals.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We’ll call him New Everberg.

Oh no we will NOT. You think Wingerli can even come close to The Ever-coif?
qRh-zk9xNdX1-1599111235.jpg
dennis-everberg-2016-690.jpg

Reactions: ASmileyFace

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Getting some NHL games at #15 in the prospect pool is pretty good. We're in the territory where it's becoming unlikely anyone reaches the NHL.

Beaucage has some mad potential, but has only played against juniors. In the next ranking he could shoot up the ranks if he can play against men in the AHL and still score goals.
But he’s not a prospect because Wingerli is a guy the pro scouts found and signed so that he will get games to justify their decision.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
But he’s not a prospect because Wingerli is a guy the pro scouts found and signed so that he will get games to justify their decision.
I tend to agree, honestly, about Wingerli not being a "prospect". But rules are rules, and I feel like if I start arbitrarily deciding who does and does not belong in the conversation I'm putting my thumb on the scale, and that's not really my role as the administrator of these polls. I just follow the rules we set out in previous years and let the polls fall where they may.

Last edited:

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
IMO it comes down to the definition of a prospect and Wingerli fits that definition.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I tend to agree, honestly, about Wingerli not being a "prospect". But rules are rules, and I feel like if I start arbitrarily deciding who does and does not belong in the conversation I'm putting my thumb on the scale, and that's not really my role as the administrator of these polls. I just follow the rules we set out in previous years and let the polls fall where they may.
That’s totally fair and it’s not a complaint to the decisions you’ve made. I supported following HF’s criteria in the past and we’ve stuck to it. We had Martinsen voted in on previous polls in the same vein. But I’m just stating I’m not voting for a guy like him and how it’s hard to think of him as a prospect in comparison to the others who are evaluated in a different view than the org does. But that doesn’t mean I disagree that Wingerli is going on the list somewhere.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
That’s totally fair and it’s not a complaint to the decisions you’ve made. I supported following HF’s criteria in the past and we’ve stuck to it. We had Martinsen voted in on previous polls in the same vein. But I’m just stating I’m not voting for a guy like him and how it’s hard to think of him as a prospect in comparison to the others who are evaluated in a different view than the org does. But that doesn’t mean I disagree that Wingerli is going on the list somewhere.
I think it's also tough with Wingerli and Maltsev to rank them in our prospects because we don't have the same attachment to these guys as we do with prospects we all have watched and followed for years. Especially in this range we're talking about mostly guys who have been in the system for a while. We already have opinions about them and a vested interest in pumping them up.

I have a feeling Wingerli is going to make fools of us all for ranking him this low, but it's not easy to judge him against a guy like Beaucage or Kovalenko because of his age and the fact that we don't have much of a baseline for him.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I know Beaucage has questions about his skating but man he has been downright dominating the Q. Since being drafted he has scored 67 goals in 101 games. Plus he’s proven to elevate his game when games are more important. This isn’t just a guy who scored a few more goals than average. We’re talking about the elite of the elite of Canadian Junior hockey goal scorers the last couple of years. Those numbers are usually only seen in overagers and stars.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I know Beaucage has questions about his skating but man he has been downright dominating the Q. Since being drafted he has scored 67 goals in 101 games. Plus he’s proven to elevate his game when games are more important. This isn’t just a guy who scored a few more goals than average. We’re talking about the elite of the elite of Canadian Junior hockey goal scorers the last couple of years. Those numbers are usually only seen in overagers and stars.

Two recent junior names that really come to mind when watching Beaucage, Kirill Maximov and Justin Brazeau. Big guys, volume shooters, elite shots, but limited skating. I'd say Beaucage is a spitting image of Brazeau.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad