Prospect Info: HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll 2021 #14

Who is the Avs #14 Prospect?

• C - Andrei Buyalski - 2021 #92 - (New)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • LW - Tyler Weiss - 2018 #109 - (21)

• C - Matthew Stienburg - 2019 #63 - (17)

• C - Taylor Makar - 2021 #220 - (New)

• G - Trent Miner - 2019 #202 - (Unranked)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Shane Bowers and Colby Ambrosio land at 12 and 13, respectively, as we move on to #14.

1) Bowen Byram
2) Alex Newhook
3) Justin Barron
4) Oskar Olausson
5) Martin Kaut
6) Drew Helleson
7) Jean-Luc Foudy
8) Sampo Ranta
9) Sean Behrens
10) Justus Annunen
11) Mikhail Maltsev
12) Shane Bowers
13) Colby Ambrosio

Added Trent Miner and Taylor Makar.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
This is tough between Beaucage, Kovalenko, and Wingerli. I went with Kovalenko, but it really could have gone either way. I like Beaucage, but he is just so slow on the ice, that could really hold him back. And Wingerli could become our very own Pius Suter, or he could be nothing at all due to his size.

I guess I went with Kovalenko because I think he's pretty projectable to an NHL third liner, style wise, and he has a chance to get his development back on track with a new team and coach in the KHL. Still a ways out due to the contract situation, but I have hope that he'll eventually give North America a shot.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I really want to vote for Wingerli here, but I want to see how he stacks up on NA ice at his size. I think he will turn heads and be successful, but until I see it... I have a hard time putting him over Kovalenko.

Reactions: McMetal

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
I really want to vote for Wingerli here, but I want to see how he stacks up on NA ice at his size. I think he will turn heads and be successful, but until I see it... I have a hard time putting him over Kovalenko.
Yeah, same. Maybe he makes us all look like fools for ranking him so low, bit for now it's just so hard to project what kind of player he'll be for us.

Northern Avs Fan

May 27, 2019

I’m excited to get a look at Wingerli.

Wings fans who watched a lot of Seider this year had positive reviews of Wingerli.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I’m not voting for Wingerli. I’ve never seen him play and he’s not going to be a prospect in this org. Sure he might start in the AHL because he’s waiver exempt but they are gonna test drive him. He’ll end up on the list eventually but not by my doing lol.

I’m going Kovalenko here. I absolutely still love his game and I don’t think the door is closed to him coming over. I’ve seen a bit of his preseason, he legit looks good and like a key player for them.

Z I just don’t think there’s much ceiling there. He might still come over and I see him and Clurman playing the same Anton Lindholm charades.

I actually like Beaucage, I don’t think he gets enough credit for having a major hand in winning two championships (three of you count the Mem Cup) and they absolutely wouldn’t have got the second one without him. But until I see the Avs take him seriously in the pro system I’m reserving my faith. He could easily be Nick Henry by this time next year.

Speaking of, add Nick Henry. He still has a contract, for now.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Add Clurman for me. We're running awfully short on prospects to add, though.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I'd agree on adding Clurman... he's gonna captain the Eagles at some point. That has some value I guess.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
It is tempting to go with Wingerli here but Just like others I'd like to see him on NA ice first.

I have to go with Kovalenko. I think he would be a good fit on this team.

Add Clurman.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Don't think he should be that high either, especially after looking pretty much useless last season in his brief cameo.
Key word there being "brief". I don't think he was really given much of a chance by Bednar to really settle in, or be put in a position to succeed, at a time when the forward corps was ravaged by injuries and instability. His stock slipped, deservedly so, but I'm comfortable with him being at the top of that tier of B prospects.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
D+1 year rookie who also smoked the AHL, nothing similar about their situations
I mean, Kaut laid up 16 points in 20 AHL games, he clearly is making his way down there well enough. Older than Mikko, sure, but also Mikko is a superstar and I don't think anybody ever thought Kaut had that kind of ceiling. If they're a bad comparison, it's because they were never the same tier of prospect to begin with.

Reactions: TatteredTornNFrayed

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
Beaucage. Next pick likely Miner don’t believe the others have chance. Worst choice is still Steinburg.

RockyMtnRedhawk

Feb 25, 2014
Denver
ABC for me here. I get that he has his flaws, but all the guy does is score lots of goals and win hockey games. That has to count for something since that's kinda the point of the sport.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Kaut played less than 40 minutes in the NHL last season. The pace he plays at might be an issue but to see what he can bring he needs a chance where he isn't under pressure to impress the coach in a 4th line role. That brings some weird form of artificial hustle that's completely ineffective.

There is a spot for the taking this year and if he fails, then it probably means if he's going to make it happen it's not going to be here.

Reactions: Perratrooper

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I mean, Kaut laid up 16 points in 20 AHL games, he clearly is making his way down there well enough. Older than Mikko, sure, but also Mikko is a superstar and I don't think anybody ever thought Kaut had that kind of ceiling. If they're a bad comparison, it's because they were never the same tier of prospect to begin with.
Mikko is an elite player, there will never be a player as good as him in our AHL system. The point is he did jack shit on the 4th line in his callup and that was no barometer for his worthiness.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad