HFAvs Prospect Ranking Poll #14

Who is the Avs #14 Prospect?

• D - Danila Zhuravlyov - 2018 #156 - (17)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Another narrow win, this time for Swedish goalie Adam Werner, who jumps a full 12 spots after signing his ELC. Danila Zhuravlyov added.

PositionPlayerDraft2019 Rank2018 RankChange
RDCale Makar2017 #41 (96.7%)10
LDBowen Byram2019 #42 (98.1%)--
CAlex Newhook2019 #163 (60.0%)--
RDConor Timmins2017 #324 (57.8%)3-1
RWMartin Kaut2018 #165 (92.6%)2-3
CShane Bowers2017 #28 (TR)6 (76.6%)4-2
CVladislav Kamenev2014 #42 (TR)7 (52.1%)6-1
RDNicolas Meloche2015 #408 (46.5%)5-3
RDDrew Helleson2019 #479 (58.1%)--
RWNikolai Kovalenko2018 #17110 (51.5%)13+3
LWAJ Greer2015 #3911 (69.3%)8-3
CIgor Shvyrev2017 #12512 (26.8%)7-5
GAdam Werner2016 #13113 (29.1%)25+12
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
I started voting for Sampo 3 polls ago, he’s long overdue.

LOC had a nice rookie season but Bednar seemed pretty unimpressed with his defense, also the short handed production might be tough to replicate. I’d give him a nod at some point because he probably will get a few more NHL games but he slides under those who have significant upside.

Weiss has to have a healthy season and show improvement before I can vote him in this area. Showing up to dev camp injured doesn’t buy much benefit of the doubt.

Add Mutala

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Weiss has to have a healthy season and show improvement before I can vote him in this area. Showing up to dev camp injured doesn’t buy much benefit of the doubt.
This for sure. I'm rooting for him and believe in his skill, but his freshman season didn't wow, injuries notwithstanding. He's a long term project so he has plenty of time to get it together, but I don't see how he could be voted in in this range.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I like the athletic parts of Ranta's game, but the brain just isn't there and you're betting on his skill set being good enough to out weight his IQ questions. Don't get me wrong, I like the kid... but to me a kid with low hockey IQ regardless of talent is a risky bet (see Yak/Pizza Boy). When the talent just a 2nd liner ceiling, but more like solid 3rd line talent... I just don't see the chance at significant upside being all that good. I technically have a chance with Amy Adams, but we both have to clear some hurdles before destiny falls into place. I do think he is a prospect, and I do think he is worth tracking... but we need to see some high end skill (and production) start popping up to out weight the IQ issues. If he can't produce in college, his chances at the NHL are nil.

Reactions: Tommy Shelby

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Sampo. I still feel like there's a good 3rd liner there even if all he can do is skate in a straight line really fast and shoot the puck. I would've gone with Nick Henry otherwise.

Add Schmackers.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Not like high character, hard working, smart two-way players from the third (or really any mid to late) round become NHLers around here so approaching things at a different angle is something I’m more open to.

I'd argue the Avs are picking different types of players all through the late rounds. Ranta is your big athletic type. Weiss is your small, high talent type. They've selected skilled Russians. Smart and talented, but soft Canadians. Formerly high regarded 16 year olds who dropped for one reason or another. You're making it sound like they have drafted only one type and it is because of that they have failed... so trying something new has to work! Even when you look squarely at the 2019 draft, all the 3rd+ picks are different types of prospects. Stienburg is your pure character guy. Beaucage is your has a supreme talent (his shot) to latch onto type. Mutala has solid tools and plays a likable two way game. Burzan is your high risk, high reward guy with good tools. You can argue similarities between Mutala and Stienburg... but the others are all different types of players.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, under Pracey, that is precisely who they drafted in later rounds is it not?
Pracey certainly had his type... the under 6' forward from the CHL. Though that was probably overblown by the 2012 draft. To me, the Avs' record speaks for itself here. In the 5 drafts since Pracey has been gone... I think you could really only attribute the character, hard working, two way label in the later rounds to maybe 4 or 5 guys. To me, the Avs are taking a lot of shots on random plus talent they see. They are trying to find a couple tools and work with that to create a NHL player. With Ranta, you have an athletic freak. With Beaucage, you have an elite shot. With Weiss, you have plus hands and vision. Saigeon you have a worker. Anderson you have grit and physicality. Beaudin was IQ.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Pracey certainly had his type... the under 6' forward from the CHL. Though that was probably overblown by the 2012 draft. To me, the Avs' record speaks for itself here. In the 5 drafts since Pracey has been gone... I think you could really only attribute the character, hard working, two way label in the later rounds to maybe 4 or 5 guys. To me, the Avs are taking a lot of shots on random plus talent they see. They are trying to find a couple tools and work with that to create a NHL player. With Ranta, you have an athletic freak. With Beaucage, you have an elite shot. With Weiss, you have plus hands and vision. Saigeon you have a worker. Anderson you have grit and physicality. Beaudin was IQ.

They all just felt like high-floor/low-ceiling types when Pracey was running the draft. And yes, he almost always just drafted out of the WHL/OHL ranks and rarely ventured outside (and almost never went near Euros). At least now Hepple leans toward bigger gambles and isn't afraid to draft Euros (though they could use some better scouting in that area I think).

If any Hepple pick felt like a Pracey pick it'd be Stienburg.

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Don't forget to vote for who to add before the poll closes tomorrow afternoon, we're tied right now for two apiece between Miner and Mutala.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad