• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Ya know, for a board that had a huge stick up it's ass for prospect rankings when Stramel was picked, I can't seem to find a single ranking that has Faber over Rossi or Yurov. Many of these rankings also have one of Ohgren or Khusnutdinov above Faber as well.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Ya know, for a board that had a huge stick up it's ass for prospect rankings when Stramel was picked, I can't seem to find a single ranking that has Faber over Rossi or Yurov. Many of these rankings also have one of Ohgren or Khusnutdinov above Faber as well.

Faber and Rossi are the same draft class. Faber is 11 months younger and more NHL ready.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Faber and Rossi are the same draft class. Faber is 11 months younger and more NHL ready.
Is he though? Rossi missed a year and is still breaking into the NHL at the same time.

Meanwhile, people are blowing their load over a guy just cause he didn't get scored on while playing really protected minutes against 3rd/4th liners in the playoffs.

Reactions: AKL

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
Valid reason for slower development, but it still affects his value as a prospect.

Yeah, I also had Faber ranked just a bit higher....mainly because of his post season play and the fact that he'll be stepping into a top 4 role to begin the season. Very close though.

Reactions: BagHead

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Rossi has shown signs of being overwhelmed both physically and mentally at the NHL level. Faber held up surprisingly well in his brief stint, and in the playoffs at that. There is no doubt in my mind that he has above average skating for a NHL’ER, and he also seemed to be able to hold his own physically….stocky guy with decent size. His composure and decision making also seemed to be vg.

Rossi, OTOH, is small and gets dominated physically in the AHL, and his skating, while good, lacks speed and jump. At this point we are hoping that he plays so smart that he can overcome these disadvantages, but what I saw was a hesitant player who couldn’t keep up with the pace of play mentally in the NHL. I am hoping that he breaks out this year, it he has a lot to overcome. With all due respect to Wheeler, Pronman, etc., I don’t think that they have seen a fraction of the Iowa games that I have seen, and wonder if they have just been looking at stats.

Yurov…how can we tell anything? He barely played in the KHL. Marat has shown that he is a decent point producer in the KHL, and apparently, he is also a good two way player. While small, he is a fast skater, unlike Rossi. He might be the next Freddy G … I can live with that, though I hope for more.

I liked what I saw of Ohgren.

I am very high on Peart.

Last edited:

Wildabeast

Jan 28, 2022
Is he though? Rossi missed a year and is still breaking into the NHL at the same time.

Meanwhile, people are blowing their load over a guy just cause he didn't get scored on while playing really protected minutes against 3rd/4th liners in the playoffs.

In a redraft Faber goes top 15 no questions asked. He was the gophers best defenseman the last two years on a team loaded with future NHL defenseman. Faber was always on the ice against the other teams top lines and sometimes half the game even though they were stacked. Not that shocking. No prospect in the system on defense close to his i.q, skating, stick work or breakout ability at this point

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
In a redraft Faber goes top 15 no questions asked. He was the gophers best defenseman the last two years on a team loaded with future NHL defenseman. Faber was always on the ice against the other teams top lines and sometimes half the game even though they were stacked. Not that shocking. No prospect in the system on defense close to his i.q, skating, stick work or breakout ability at this point
It's too early for that to mean a damn thing.

And you'll have to excuse me, but being the best compared to a bunch of future bottom pairing guys isn't the compliment you think it is.

As for your last sentence, I think most would agree that Faber is the best d prospect. I just take issue with him being a better prospect than Yurov, Khusnutdinov, Rossi AND Ohgren. With Wallstedt, I have five guys that I think will be better players than Faber in the long run.

I just wish the bar was higher for our #2 prospect. Apparently the bar is lower than I thought.

Last edited:

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Just so @Digitalbooya stops yelling at me, I have Faber 4th, after Wallstedt, Rossi and Yurov. And him being above Khusnutdinov is only by the slightest of margins.
I'm not yelling at anybody. I am just strongly opinionated about our prospects. As mentioned in the previous post, I have five prospects that I think will be better than Faber in the long run. Of course, I am probably the poster highest on Ohgren and could see the perspective that would put Faber above him.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I'm not yelling at anybody. I am just strongly opinionated about our prospects. As mentioned in the previous post, I have five prospects that I think will be better than Faber in the long run. Of course, I am probably the poster highest on Ohgren and could see the perspective that would put Faber above him.
And if somebody said to you, "I truly believe that Faber is a future legit #2 defenseman", do you still consider that a low bar for voting him at #2?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
And if somebody said to you, "I truly believe that Faber is a future legit #2 defenseman", do you still consider that a low bar for voting him at #2?
I have seen nothing to indicate Faber will be a future #2. If you are talking absolute ceiling, then you also have to compare it to the absolute ceiling of Yurov, Rossi, Khusnutdinov, Ohgren, Stramel, etc. All of those guys have higher ceilings in my book.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I have seen nothing to indicate Faber will be a future #2. If you are talking absolute ceiling, then you also have to compare it to the absolute ceiling of Yurov, Rossi, Khusnutdinov, Ohgren, Stramel, etc. All of those guys have higher ceilings in my book.
I didn't ask you what you thought of Faber, and didn't mention anything about "absolute ceilings".

If I was a person that felt that Faber was truly going to be a future legit #2 defenseman, then in my mind, I would need to think of Rossi/Yurov/Ohgren/Khusnutdinov as being future legit play-driving top line forwards (or at least legit complimentary top line forwards) to put them ahead of Faber. Do you believe all of those forwards qualify as that?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I didn't ask you what you thought of Faber, and didn't mention anything about "absolute ceilings".

If I was a person that felt that Faber was truly going to be a future legit #2 defenseman, then in my mind, I would need to think of Rossi/Yurov/Ohgren/Khusnutdinov as being future legit play-driving top line forwards (or at least legit complimentary top line forwards) to put them ahead of Faber. Do you believe all of those forwards qualify as that?

I would be curious why you feel Faber is truly going to be a legit #2

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
I would be curious why you feel Faber is truly going to be a legit #2
I wouldn't have an answer to that, since right now I have him as a #3, which is why I have him behind Yurov and basically the 4A to Khusnutdinov's 4B.

I mean, the 3rd grade answer to all of this is that the people that voted Faber #2 might think that Rossi, Ohgren, Yurov and Khusnutdinov all suck. But I don't think that there are too many of those people here.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I wouldn't have an answer to that, since right now I have him as a #3, which is why I have him behind Yurov and basically the 4A to Khusnutdinov's 4B.

I mean, the 3rd grade answer to all of this is that the people that voted Faber #2 might think that Rossi, Ohgren, Yurov and Khusnutdinov all suck. But I don't think that there are too many of those people here.

If a plurality of people really think Faber is our second best prospect then so be it, I'd just hope it's based on more than the 6 playoff games where he was:
-playing third pair
-14 minutes
-no special teams
-almost 60% ozone starts
-zero offense
-small sample size

I'd also be curious if the conversation the other day about how some people just *hope* he can become McAvoy for us without any indication that he has that ability played a part, but maybe that's just a coincidence

But hey, people are allowed to vote for who they want to, I just hope he doesn't have a rough start to the season now because that might get funny. On to the next one though.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Khus is >50% on FOs and playing well in a significant role in the KHL, so #3 is Khusnutdinov for me, but only marginally above Rossi. Think Rossi has the higher ceiling, but also a higher chance of busting.

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
If a plurality of people really think Faber is our second best prospect then so be it, I'd just hope it's based on more than the 6 playoff games where he was:
-playing third pair
-14 minutes
-no special teams
-almost 60% ozone starts
-zero offense
-small sample size

I'd also be curious if the conversation the other day about how some people just *hope* he can become McAvoy for us without any indication that he has that ability played a part, but maybe that's just a coincidence

But hey, people are allowed to vote for who they want to, I just hope he doesn't have a rough start to the season now because that might get funny. On to the next one though.
Faber looked like he belonged in his first taste of the NHL, which also coincided with playoff hockey. Rossi just never gave that impression during his stint last season (although I still believe Evason didn’t really set him up for success).

I think this organization is just better at developing defensemen too & there’s two great defensemen for Faber to learn from here.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Faber seems more NHL ready than Rossi because he played alot of solid minutes in the playoffs, mobile, decent size. but when I took a step back and realized: solid but its only 8 games since college

And while Rossi has struggled in his 19 NHL games, he put alot of really good work in the AHL for two entire seasons, leading top 2 scorer for Iowa. He's being very successful in that one step below the NHL.

So it kinda went down to upside for me, and Rossi still has more of a ceiling than Faber, and if I give him the benefit of the doubt of a missed COVID season, he's still my #2 (but definitely in danger of falling to #4 behind Yurov and Faber in 6 months).

keppel146

Jun 4, 2010
MinneSOta
Khus is >50% on FOs and playing well in a significant role in the KHL, so #3 is Khusnutdinov for me, but only marginally above Rossi. Think Rossi has the higher ceiling, but also a higher chance of busting.
I’d say he’s easily our most underrated prospect. I just hope his size doesn’t kill his chances.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Faber looked like he belonged in his first taste of the NHL, which also coincided with playoff hockey. Rossi just never gave that impression during his stint last season (although I still believe Evason didn’t really set him up for success).

I think this organization is just better at developing defensemen too & there’s two great defensemen for Faber to learn from here.

So you pay no mind to upside or anything of that nature in your personal rankings?

MuckOG

May 18, 2012
So you pay no mind to upside or anything of that nature in your personal rankings?

Some people might be starting to think that Rossi's upside isn't as high as we once thought. Obviously, this will be a huge season for him to remove any doubts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad