• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Who do you think Minnesota should take #1 overall?

The idea is to create a Minnesota Wild big board for the draft.

Vote for who you think it is and then give recommendations on who to add for next poll.

I am going to limit the poll day length to just a single day, so get your votes in!

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
Lol rossi has a vote.. really guys?
What's wrong with voting for Rossi? He was the CHL Top Scorer. Here's the results from the OHL Coaches Poll:

Smartest Player - 1st (1st in 2018-2019 too)
Best Playmaker - 1st
Best on Faceoffs - 2nd (58.5%)
Best Defensive Forward - 2nd
Best Penalty Killer - 3rd
Best Shootout Shooter - 1st

He finished 2nd to only Lafreniere in primary points per game (1.57 to 1.67) of all draft eligible players. Rossi's 2.14 points per game is the highest OHL figure since Patrick Kane put up 2.50 points per game all the way back in 2006-2007.

One of the most telling stats is the 67's GF and GA at even strength with and without Rossi. When Rossi was on the ice, the 67’s scored 103 and allowed just 35. Without him, the 67’s scored 97 and allowed 70.

The only knock you find on him is "well his size" which is just bullshit considering he excels in traffic, wins 50-50 puck battles often, doesn't shy away from contact, and excels in every phase of the game.

Here's his shots/goals heat map:
45181_marco-rossi2020.png

Lafreniere is a good hockey player, really good. But I just can't help but look at his deployment of 25minutes per game and help but think his numbers are inflated.

P10p

May 15, 2012
What's wrong with voting for Rossi? He was the CHL Top Scorer. Here's the results from the OHL Coaches Poll:

Smartest Player - 1st (1st in 2018-2019 too)
Best Playmaker - 1st
Best on Faceoffs - 2nd (58.5%)
Best Defensive Forward - 2nd
Best Penalty Killer - 3rd
Best Shootout Shooter - 1st

He finished 2nd to only Lafreniere in primary points per game (1.57 to 1.67) of all draft eligible players. Rossi's 2.14 points per game is the highest OHL figure since Patrick Kane put up 2.50 points per game all the way back in 2006-2007.

One of the most telling stats is the 67's GF and GA at even strength with and without Rossi. When Rossi was on the ice, the 67’s scored 103 and allowed just 35. Without him, the 67’s scored 97 and allowed 70.

The only knock you find on him is "well his size" which is just bullshit considering he excels in traffic, wins 50-50 puck battles often, doesn't shy away from contact, and excels in every phase of the game.

Here's his shots/goals heat map:

Lafreniere is a good hockey player, really good. But I just can't help but look at his deployment of 25minutes per game and help but think his numbers are inflated.

You bring up inflated stats, so what about the fact that Rossi is a benefactor of playing on a loaded team.

Obviously he is a big part of this, but his stats are definitely inflated by the talent around him as well.

-Only
team in the OHL with 6 or more 70+ pt players.
-Some teams don't even have 2 70+ pt players
-Most Teams don't have 3 or more 70+ pt players

He plays on a stacked team. Of course he is getting points.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
You bring up inflated stats, so what about the fact that Rossi is a benefactor of playing on a loaded team.

Obviously he is a big part of this, but his stats are definitely inflated by the talent around him as well.

-Only
team in the OHL with 6 or more 70+ pt players.
-Some teams don't even have 2 70+ pt players
-Most Teams don't have 3 or more 70+ pt players

He plays on a stacked team. Of course he is getting points.
I just gave you the data to show his impact when he's on the ice versus when he's not on the ice. I'll give it to you again since you obviously skipped that part: When Rossi was on the ice, the 67’s scored 103 and allowed just 35. Without him, the 67’s scored 97 and allowed 70.

Why are you surprised the best player in the OHL makes everyone around him better?

P10p

May 15, 2012
I just gave you the data to show his impact when he's on the ice versus when he's not on the ice. I'll give it to you again since you obviously skipped that part: When Rossi was on the ice, the 67’s scored 103 and allowed just 35. Without him, the 67’s scored 97 and allowed 70.

Why are you surprised the best player in the OHL makes everyone around him better?

I'm not surprised. So stop trying to put words in my mouth first of all. Secondly, you didnt just "show the data" as you say. At the end of your first post you have a whole small paragraph touching on Lafrenierre'stats being inflated.

That is clearly what I targeted with my post.

But sure, try to back track and put words in my mouth instead of defending your original thought.

Cant admit to your flawed logic so you resort to strawman tactics. Awesome.

Reactions: zellmatic

P10p

May 15, 2012
And also can you not see the connection between a loaded team and inflated point totals? Are you really that simple?

P10p

May 15, 2012
Obviously he is a dynamic and enticing prospect. Scoring at an unreal rate. I'd be his biggest fan if we landed him. But dont try and prop him up by presenting an unfair argument about lafrenierres stats being inflated when you're not prepared to talk about rossis stats being inflated.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
You criticized someone who voted for Rossi because you can't possibly fathom why someone would want to choose the CHL's top scorer who plays a tougher position in a tougher league who produces at an identical rate while skating 2-1/2 minutes less per game than Lafreniere.

Your argument is that his team is stacked and thus his stats are inflated, yet the team he plays on is significantly worse when Rossi isn't on the ice - so I don't even know what the f*** you're talking about anymore. I don't even think you do.

I'm sure Rossi's linemates of un-drafted overagers Joe Garreffa (20yo, 5'7" 175lbs) and Auston Keating (21, 6' 170lbs) are just the elite talent you're referring to that carried Rossi to an inflated point total. You're delusional. Those guys are so damn good that Keating is going to play for the University of New Brunswick and Garreffa is gonna be suntanning in San Jose with the last place Barracuda on a 1yr AHL contract.

Last edited:

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
You criticized someone who voted for Rossi because you can't possibly fathom why someone would want to choose the CHL's top scorer who plays a tougher position in a tougher league who produces at an identical rate while skating 2-1/2 minutes less per game than Lafreniere.

Your argument is that his team is stacked and thus his stats are inflated, yet the team he plays on is significantly worse when Rossi isn't on the ice - so I don't even know what the f*** you're talking about anymore. I don't even think you do.

I'm sure Rossi's linemates of un-drafted overagers Joe Garreffa (20yo, 5'7" 175lbs) and Auston Keating (21, 6' 170lbs) are just the elite talent you're referring to that carried Rossi to an inflated point total. You're delusional. Those guys are so damn good that Keating is going to play for the University of New Brunswick and Garreffa is gonna be suntanning in San Jose with the last place Barracuda on a 1yr AHL contract.

To be completely fair to Garreffa and Keating, they were elite this year for the junior level, they just don't have the tools in their games to be elite at more advanced levels, barring some huge development. Overagers with some skill often end up in that boat. Anyway, I think his whole point is that you've provided evidence as to why Rossi's numbers are not inflated, and yet you've provided no evidence for your belief that Lafreniere's totals are inflated. I for one would love to see the same stats for Lafreniere that you posted for Rossi. I don't know who's right here, but I do know only one player's had any evidence presented for him.

Minnesnota

Apr 20, 2017
Denver
To be completely fair to Garreffa and Keating, they were elite this year for the junior level, they just don't have the tools in their games to be elite at more advanced levels, barring some huge development. Overagers with some skill often end up in that boat. Anyway, I think his whole point is that you've provided evidence as to why Rossi's numbers are not inflated, and yet you've provided no evidence for your belief that Lafreniere's totals are inflated. I for one would love to see the same stats for Lafreniere that you posted for Rossi. I don't know who's right here, but I do know only one player's had any evidence presented for him.
It's not my job to make someone else's argument for them but hey, what the hell.

Rossi's 2.14 points per game is the highest OHL figure since Patrick Kane put up 2.50 points per game all the way back in 2006-2007, 13 years ago.
Lafreniere's 2.15 points per game is the highest QMJHL figure since Jonathan Drouin put up 2.34 points per game all the way back in 2013-2014, 6 years ago.

When Rossi was on the ice, the 67’s scored 103 and allowed just 35. Without him, the 67’s scored 97 and allowed 70. EV GF% of 74.64%.
When Lafreniere was on the ice, Rimouski scored 89 and allowed just 42. Without him, Rimouski scored 64 and allowed 52. EV GF% of 67.94%.

Rossi primary points per 60 of 4.18
Lafreniere primary points per 60 of 4.00

Rossi averaged 22:30 minutes per game.
Lafreniere averaged 25:00 minutes per game.

Rossi goals and shots mapped:

Lafreniere goals and shots mapped:
45219_alexis-lafreniere2020.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad