• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Helenius. Hopefully he's the next Aho, not the next Haula. Things drop off after this, IMO. The next 4-5 players have intriguing upside, but some questions about their game more so than the top 9.

f7ben

Mar 25, 2018
I'm surprised Catton went 8th. I would have thought there was top 5 interest on him.
I would put him top 6 but with potential top pair D carrying so much value in a draft I can see him being 7-8 range or maybe even 9th

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
I'm surprised Catton went 8th. I would have thought there was top 5 interest on him.
There are by many. It all depends how the D play out. After Celebrini, I think you can mix and match Demidov/Catton/Eiserman/Linstrom. Some will have Catton behind Celebrini as the number 2 forward, some will have him at the end of the guys mentnioned above. I do think Linstrom and Catton are more likely to rise whereas Eiserman is falling.

I don't know if Eiserman falling is warranted or if its a case of being overscouted/having higher expectations.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I watched a YouTube top 32 rankings by Graviteh. He had Yakemchuk at #26. Compared him to John Klingberg. Lot of ranging opinions on him.
Like I said in the last thread, I see something like a Burns or Dumba, because he's a guy who jumps into the play a lot and drives offense, but sometimes does it a little too enthusiastically. I saw him make a few passes where he would be skating it up through the neutral zone, throw a pass to a winger across the ice, and then just assume the pass would work out and keep skating toward the offensive zone. On the occasions it got picked off, it typically led to an odd-man rush the other way, and sometimes a goal against.

His defensive zone play was engaged and rangy (is that a word?), so I don't see a Klingberg there. Maybe people who have seen him more have seen different things, though. I won't lie, he's not the next player on my list, but he's coming up quick.

16thOverallSaveUs

Danila Yurov Fan Club Executive Assistant
May 2, 2018
I watched a YouTube top 32 rankings by Graviteh. He had Yakemchuk at #26. Compared him to John Klingberg. Lot of ranging opinions on him.
Graviteh is the worst resource I can think of for actual hockey opinions. He once said that Dubnyk was still a great goaltender and that it was the team in front of him that was the issue. The team in front of him was #1 in HDC allowed and he was #1 in save % below expected. That was the last graviteh video i ever watched. The Klingberg take is bad as well. The look similar, but the compete and physical game of Yakemchuk is completely different.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Like I said in the last thread, I see something like a Burns or Dumba, because he's a guy who jumps into the play a lot and drives offense, but sometimes does it a little too enthusiastically. I saw him make a few passes where he would be skating it up through the neutral zone, throw a pass to a winger across the ice, and then just assume the pass would work out and keep skating toward the offensive zone. On the occasions it got picked off, it typically led to an odd-man rush the other way, and sometimes a goal against.

His defensive zone play was engaged and rangy (is that a word?), so I don't see a Klingberg there. Maybe people who have seen him more have seen different things, though. I won't lie, he's not the next player on my list, but he's coming up quick.
I'm not exactly sure that is the type of player we should be going for. I'd prefer someone who can play offense, but doesn't cheat the defensive responsibilities like those guys do or did. That's why I voted for Buium.

Graviteh is the worst resource I can think of for actual hockey opinions. He once said that Dubnyk was still a great goaltender and that it was the team in front of him that was the issue. The team in front of him was #1 in HDC allowed and he was #1 in save % below expected. That was the last graviteh video i ever watched. The Klingberg take is bad as well. The look similar, but the compete and physical game of Yakemchuk is completely different.
I'm willing to listen to all opinions, even if they are totally wrong. I put most of my draft weight into Pronman, Wheeler and McKenzie. Funny enough, Pronman has Yakemchuk at #3 on his board behind Celebrini and Silayev. Wheeler has Yakemchuk at #12. McKenzie has him at #12 too. Plenty of variety.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Buium - Faber would be an elite pair. Easy choice for me here

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I'm not exactly sure that is the type of player we should be going for. I'd prefer someone who can play offense, but doesn't cheat the defensive responsibilities like those guys do or did. That's why I voted for Buium.

I'm willing to listen to all opinions, even if they are totally wrong. I put most of my draft weight into Pronman, Wheeler and McKenzie. Funny enough, Pronman has Yakemchuk at #3 on his board behind Celebrini and Silayev. Wheeler has Yakemchuk at #12. McKenzie has him at #12 too. Plenty of variety.
Buium is my next guy, after Helenius.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Helenius. Hopefully he's the next Aho, not the next Haula. Things drop off after this, IMO. The next 4-5 players have intriguing upside, but some questions about their game more so than the top 9.
What’s the questions about Buium? He’s super smart, solid skater and historically productive. Seems like a pretty safe bet to be a Top 4 guy IMO

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I like Buium, but Yakemchuk is bigger, more physical, and a RHS. It's not like Buium is known for his defense, either. With the stockpile of LHD we have in the system, I'd prefer a RHD, all things being equal.

If we want a solid, defensive RHD then you pick Emery or Elick in the 2nd round.

Parekh is the guy that I don't know what to do with. He is a really good skater, but is no Quinn Hughes or Drysdale. Really good vision and skill, but will it translate to the NHL? Is 6'(?), but slight. Don't know if he is the next Erik Karlsson, or Tony Deangelo. Interesting guy, though.

With the way that Faber has performed, it has certainly given us flexibility in our choices going forward. I always love a pick for a big, solid defender(ROR and Hunt have average size), but can also see taking a PMD, if the talent is there. I can also justify taking a forward in the 1st, and taking a big(6'3"+), solid, rugged RHD who can skate in the 2nd, namely Emery and Elick. Skahan is another one, but is a LHD. Not exciting, but the sort of guys you like to have to fill out your D roster. Winning rosters like VGK are filled with those types of guys.

Last edited:

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
What’s the questions about Buium? He’s super smart, solid skater and historically productive. Seems like a pretty safe bet to be a Top 4 guy IMO
Defense. Size is average, and the NHL likes big defenders. I don't see a big seperation between him and Parekh, and neither do most scouts.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Defense. Size is average, and the NHL likes big defenders. I don't see a big seperation between him and Parekh, and neither do most scouts.
Definitely agree there's a natural comparison to be made with Parekh.

There are mixed reports on Buium skating. For sure his general north/south speed and form/stability are nowhere near Parekh. He is described as generally agile bc he's smart and has learned to get the most out of what he's able to do but cutbacks arent super sharp and concern about how its all going to hold up as the pace of play increases.

Buium is probably a bit smarter than Parekh, probably the best decision-making of any defenseman in this draft and prob has the best stick-checking of any defenseman.

He's putting up points in ncaa which is obv impressive but think i heard cam robinson say doesnt expect much of that to translate to higher levels bc its assists from smart but soft passes in offensive zone that wont be there against defensemen with better gaps, stick checking and higher pace. Obv with Parekh you can similarly not expect most of the production to translate bc its the CHL and the game is so loose and open and tendy quality so low.

Most of the published rankings have Parekh a bit higher than Buium but whereas Buium is consistently toward 10-15 range you occasionally find someone that doesnt like Parekh at all and puts him in the 20s.

Mckenzie = parekh 9 / buium 13
Button = parekh 8 / buium 11
EP = parekh 6 / buium 11
mckeens = buium 16/ parekh 17
daily faceoff = parekh 9/ buium 11

This is too early for a mediocre size defenseman with questions about his skating for me. I could almost be persuaded buium over parekh bc of his high hockey IQ but skating reallly matters a *ton* for any defenseman who's role isnt to be a big lumbering play-it-safe guy.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
Definitely agree there's a natural comparison to be made with Parekh.

There are mixed reports on Buium skating. For sure his general north/south speed and form/stability are nowhere near Parekh. He is described as generally agile bc he's smart and has learned to get the most out of what he's able to do but cutbacks arent super sharp and concern about how its all going to hold up as the pace of play increases.

Buium is probably a bit smarter than Parekh, probably the best decision-making of any defenseman in this draft and prob has the best stick-checking of any defenseman.

He's putting up points in ncaa which is obv impressive but think i heard cam robinson say doesnt expect much of that to translate to higher levels bc its assists from smart but soft passes in offensive zone that wont be there against defensemen with better gaps, stick checking and higher pace. Obv with Parekh you can similarly not expect most of the production to translate bc its the CHL and the game is so loose and open and tendy quality so low.

Most of the published rankings have Parekh a bit higher than Buium but whereas Buium is consistently toward 10-15 range you occasionally find someone that doesnt like Parekh at all and puts him in the 20s.

Mckenzie = parekh 9 / buium 13
Button = parekh 8 / buium 11
EP = parekh 6 / buium 11
mckeens = buium 16/ parekh 17
daily faceoff = parekh 9/ buium 11

This is too early for a mediocre size defenseman with questions about his skating for me. I could almost be persuaded buium over parekh bc of his high hockey IQ but skating reallly matters a *ton* for any defenseman who's role isnt to be a big lumbering play-it-safe guy.
I think you just convinced me... that I need to do more research before the next poll.

57special

Sep 5, 2012
MN
I voted Helenius, but I might join @RossiSaveUs with Yakemchuk as the next Dman. Skates very well, is skilled, big, hits, RHD, leads WHL rookie d in points .... there's a lot to like. His size and physicality separates him from Parekh and Buium. Jiricek is another one with intriguing tools, who will be slipping down because of his injury.

They are all very close, to me. I can easily change my mind, depending on how the season finishes.

Reactions: 16thOverallSaveUs

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
I voted Helenius, but I might join @RossiSaveUs with Yakemchuk as the next Dman. Skates very well, is skilled, big, hits, RHD, leads WHL rookie d in points .... there's a lot to like. His size and physicality separates him from Parekh and Buium. Jiricek is another one with intriguing tools, who will be slipping down because of his injury.

They are all very close, to me. I can easily change my mind, depending on how the season finishes.
Unless something materially changed in the last 2 weeks, you can take the "rookie" part out of "WHL d". He was leading all defenders in the league by a lot at that time, and I imagine he still is. There is a lot to like with him. I think he's going to be a very fun player to watch in the NHL.

*edit* Yep, still leading Marc Lajoie (3 years older) by 5 goals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $354.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cádiz vs Mallorca
    Cádiz vs Mallorca