• Other (Please Specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Voted cayden bc thats what my list is and i suppose i pick best available but if i were the wild picking here and it played out like this id have a hard time not picking dickinson. I realize thats literally how youve asked me to consider it but just trying to say its a definitely a toss-up imo

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
I’d be happy with Eiserman, Dickinson, Lindstrom, or Buium. I like the top 8.
Pretty much my thoughts too. I went with Dickinson bc he has some size and a higher floor than Buium. Was a coin toss between him & Lindstrom for me.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Ooooh, I'm interested in fresh opinions. Why Catton?
I am not sure he has the ceiling of Eiserman or Lindstrom but I think his floor is quite a bit higher. He does everything well - has good pace, good stickhandling, shot, has succeeded at the international level, has been captain, etc. I know we all hate the leadership justification, but I think he's going to be a solid 1C who kills penalties, competes hard, and teammates look up to for a long time. I am not sure the aforementioned process the game as well as he does all over the ice. I think he has the skating, hands, and brain to really mesh with Kap and Boldy.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
I am not sure he has the ceiling of Eiserman or Lindstrom but I think his floor is quite a bit higher. He does everything well - has good pace, good stickhandling, shot, has succeeded at the international level, has been captain, etc. I know we all hate the leadership justification, but I think he's going to be a solid 1C who kills penalties, competes hard, and teammates look up to for a long time. I am not sure the aforementioned process the game as well as he does all over the ice. I think he has the skating, hands, and brain to really mesh with Kap and Boldy.
Like an Eriksson Ek with better playmaking ability?

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Sounds Hischier-esque.

He’s who I’d vote here if Dickinson would’ve gone 4th.

Jbcraig1883

Mar 31, 2002
Virginia
Like an Eriksson Ek with better playmaking ability?
He toe drags and shoots like Boldy/Kap, has skating better than Boldy and Rossi (not better edgework than Kap), has the playmaking like Boldy, finds space well, hustles, and has played really well internationally.

I wouldn't compare him much to Eriksson Ek due to size and his hands. He won't dominate in the cycle with size/puck protection, it'll be more being smart and his hockey awareness - he seems to separate and find breakdowns in coverage.

Lindstrom has more of a Greenway/Foligno style game with better shot than both and much better compete than Greenway. He's a unicorn but I am not sure of his overall hockey sense. A bunch of physical tools...could just be that he is getting used to that frame/athleticism.

There are many videos but this is a short one - love the third/last play.

Last edited:

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
Lindstrom has more of a Greenway/Foligno style game with better shot than both and much better compete than Greenway. He's a unicorn but I am not sure of his overall hockey sense

Yeah Lindstrom is sort of the forward version of Silayev. In both cases you're gambling on the hockey sense to decide whether the result is amazing unicorn or something uh.. not so great. I dont like gambling on that sort of thing too much because I question how much of it can be improved. Like no matter how much you prepare and train much of a hockey game is about reactions, lateral thinking, and quick decisions made under pressure and i think some people are just born with brains better equipped for that than others. Some people are born taller, some people are born with particular ankle flexion or whatever that gives them advantage in skating, some people have low center of mass that makes them harder to knock off the puck, and some people are just born with better processors between their ears. Just the way it is.

I am more receptive to that sort of a gamble in a forward than a defenseman tho bc the consequences of a mistake (or even just failing to make a play on a cross-ice pass or tying up a stick at the right moment) by a defenseman are more severe and immediate. A forward screws up /does something stupid with regularity and it typically just means your team has lost possession.

EDIT: There is something to be said about the fact that Silayev's size and skating will help cover up mistakes a bit though ofc.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
Big skilled centerman. Lindstrom

And watching his shift-by-shift, he isn't just size. He's got some high end skills with soft touches and good distribution passing.

And you need to draft skilled centerman to get them - you can't sign them and if you trade for them, you have to overpay.

Reactions: BagHead

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Yeah Lindstrom is sort of the forward version of Silayev. In both cases you're gambling on the hockey sense to decide whether the result is amazing unicorn or something uh.. not so great. I dont like gambling on that sort of thing too much because I question how much of it can be improved. Like no matter how much you prepare and train much of a hockey game is about reactions, lateral thinking, and quick decisions made under pressure and i think some people are just born with brains better equipped for that than others. Some people are born taller, some people are born with particular ankle flexion or whatever that gives them advantage in skating, some people have low center of mass that makes them harder to knock off the puck, and some people are just born with better processors between their ears. Just the way it is.

I am more receptive to that sort of a gamble in a forward than a defenseman tho bc the consequences of a mistake (or even just failing to make a play on a cross-ice pass or tying up a stick at the right moment) by a defenseman are more severe and immediate. A forward screws up /does something stupid with regularity and it typically just means your team has lost possession.

EDIT: There is something to be said about the fact that Silayev's size and skating will help cover up mistakes a bit though ofc.
said no one, ever. Lindstrom has all sorts of offensive skills and tools. Silayev, none.

Catton reminds me of RNH. A disappointment at #1oa, just fine at #6-8.

I would be fine with drafting either, as well as Demidov and Eiserman. Not sure about Helenius, but he is certainly interesting.

Lotsa good choices, as Dickinson seems rock solid. One of those players should be around for us to draft, unless we go on a run.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

From my admittedly limited viewings, I've seen Silayev as a guy who plays a simple offensive game of just getting pucks toward the net as much as possible, which is where I think the doubts about his hockey IQ come into play.

Lindstrom on the other hand, attracted me to his game because he combines speed, agility, power, size, nastiness, and creativity in a single offensive package. If there are IQ concerns around his game, I haven't seen them. On the contrary, from the videos I've seen of him, he appears to be extremely intelligent.

Wonderful Tacos

Nov 29, 2023
From my admittedly limited viewings, I've seen Silayev as a guy who plays a simple offensive game of just getting pucks toward the net as much as possible, which is where I think the doubts about his hockey IQ come into play.

Lindstrom on the other hand, attracted me to his game because he combines speed, agility, power, size, nastiness, and creativity in a single offensive package. If there are IQ concerns around his game, I haven't seen them. On the contrary, from the videos I've seen of him, he appears to be extremely intelligent.
On break at work but a few points:

1.) There seems a conflation you guys are doing between "hockey sense" (a euphemism for intelligence imo) and offensive skill (which is a lot of things but certainly is affected by a players ability to rapidly process events and make good decisions)

2.) This criticism isnt something ive created but comes from a hedged comment made about him in one of the more popular prospect vids on youtube. You can say thats reading a lot into one very small hedged comment and thats true but i value this trait highly and ppl rarely talk about it bc its a fraught topic. Some have a moral objection to trying to judge peoples variance in intelligence or that it even exists. Will try to find that vid late today or tomorrow after work.

3.) Yeah i mean every prospects highlight reel is going to include alot of them making smart plays ofc. We're relying on peoples judgement that have watched a lot of their play live.

4.) At risk of taking the discussion a weird and ugly place that i dont want to - just to be clear ive spent most of my time criticizing lambos and addisons hockey iq. I dont know lindstroms race , dont care, and confident it has nothing to do with this critcism, if its even valid. All my thoughts about draft eligibles are very fluid considering im relying on rando scout reports. Also hockey iq judgements are relative to a good nhl player. So a comment like "this guy is dumb as rocks" implicitly understands that guy is prob way smarter than me - dumbshit talking on hfboards.

5.) I really like lindstrom and have voted him the last two rounds lol!

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN
On break at work but a few points:

1.) There seems a conflation you guys are doing between "hockey sense" (a euphemism for intelligence imo) and offensive skill (which is a lot of things but certainly is affected by a players ability to rapidly process events and make good decisions)

2.) This criticism isnt something ive created but comes from a hedged comment made about him in one of the more popular prospect vids on youtube. You can say thats reading a lot into one very small hedged comment and thats true but i value this trait highly and ppl rarely talk about it bc its a fraught topic. Some have a moral objection to trying to judge peoples variance in intelligence or that it even exists. Will try to find that vid late today or tomorrow after work.

3.) Yeah i mean every prospects highlight reel is going to include alot of them making smart plays ofc. We're relying on peoples judgement that have watched a lot of their play live.

4.) At risk of taking the discussion a weird and ugly place that i dont want to - just to be clear ive spent most of my time criticizing lambos and addisons hockey iq. I dont know lindstroms race , dont care, and confident it has nothing to do with this critcism, if its even valid. All my thoughts about draft eligibles are very fluid considering im relying on rando scout reports. Also hockey iq judgements are relative to a good nhl player. So a comment like "this guy is dumb as rocks" implicitly understands that guy is prob way smarter than me - dumbshit talking on hfboards.

5.) I really like lindstrom and have voted him the last two rounds lol!
I'm open to more opinions about Lindstrom (or any prospect), so I'd like to see the video. I also don't know much about his play inside the defensive zone, except that it's been called "solid" by some people, and that he can play the PK. From what I've seen in the offensive zone and neutral zone, he makes strong reads and plays with creativity (his zone entries are awesome, but also the defenders are juniors, so...). I also want you to know that I never thought race was a part of your criticism of his hockey IQ. but with his being a young black man, I can understand why you'd want to clarify.

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
said no one, ever. Lindstrom has all sorts of offensive skills and tools. Silayev, none.

Catton reminds me of RNH. A disappointment at #1oa, just fine at #6-8.

I would be fine with drafting either, as well as Demidov and Eiserman. Not sure about Helenius, but he is certainly interesting.

Lotsa good choices, as Dickinson seems rock solid. One of those players should be around for us to draft, unless we go on a run.
Disagree with that. He isn't so creative with the passing so he won't QB a top PP but he makes very quick and smart passes. Very simple but mistake-free; and he has a strong slapper, and together will translate into points at the NHL level.

With Levyshuv and to a certain extent Dickinson, I've seen more high-risk errors in their passing. I actually think Silayev is bigger than both, makes smarter plays than both and with Dickinson, a better skater. Which is why I'm high on him as #2 (plus he does this all in the KHL).

Reactions: MNRube
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad