• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
Every mock I’ve seen has him in the 45-60 range. I like that he’s a goal scorer
I know you can't put too much weight on it, but he was also elite on several tests at the combine. July birthday as well.

Chicago probably gets him with their 2nd.

Brock Otten:
3. Nick Lardis - Wing - Hamilton Bulldogs
There's no question that I'm higher on Lardis than others. At McKeen's, we ranked him 32nd, but I'm pretty doubtful that he's an actual first round selection. Do I think he deserves to be? Yes, but that's another story. I mean, how could you not be impressed with what he accomplished following the trade to Hamilton? He instantly became one of the league's most consistently dangerous offensive players. The big difference in that was an increase in physical intensity. In Peterborough, he was too perimeter oriented. But the shift to become a player who attacked inside the dots made all the difference in Hamilton. Lardis' combination of elite level speed and goal scoring ability makes him such an interesting NHL prospect. The scary thing is, I actually think he's only scratching the surface of being able to utilize his speed as a weapon. He's still pretty slight and can get knocked off stride too easily and he can also struggle to cleanly catch/carry when trying to build speed. With added strength, I believe both of those aspects of his game will improve and he becomes a near unstoppable force at the junior level. The shot is such a massive weapon for him too. The release on both his wrist shot and his one timer are terrific; lightning quick. He can score from anywhere on the ice. He can score from a standstill or in motion. Personally, I don't think he was terrific at the U18's, but I also think that he was utilized improperly by the coaching staff. It looked like they wanted him to be more of an F1, high energy guy and he's just not at that level off the puck yet. If you want a better indication of Lardis' ability and progression, watch the first round of the OHL playoffs where he nearly dragged a rebuilding Bulldogs team past Brandt Clarke and the Barrie Colts. Look, there's no question that Lardis is going to take some time. He's going to need to finish his final OHL seasons and then probably play in the AHL too, but someone's patience could be rewarded as, IMO, Lardis has among the highest scoring upside of any player from the OHL this draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia