HF Sharks Quarantine Survival Trivia Round 4: Iconic Moments in Sharks History

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
j1P4yb.png

j1P7Or.png

I'm beginning to wonder after diminishing returns on the first 3 quizzes in terms of participation if having everything in one thread is making people unaware of new quizzes being released. So from now on I'm going to change up the structure of the Quarantine Survival Threads a little bit:

1) Starting from now, every new quiz will get its own thread. The 3 prior quizzes will remain in the original thread just because separating them is finicky and potentially troublesome given that the site isn't at its most reliable right now in terms of stability.

2) The stickied thread will be replaced with a new sticky that serves as a Quarantine Survival Hub, linking to all the threads and segments of this project, as well as featuring the master Quiz leaderboard

3) For now the Question of the Day will remain a single-thread for as long as it doesn't display any of the issues the quiz series has had. The Memorabilia thread will also remain as it is and I don't expect to have to change it even if it burns out.

I'll talk more about behind-the-curtain stuff later if it's warranted, but for now, on with the show.

j1Pdmv.png

TOPIC: Iconic Moments in Sharks History

"Called shots, iconic goals, comebacks, and amazing plays. The history of the San Jose Sharks is littered with iconic moments for the team on and off the ice in their nearly 30 years in the NHL. but while everyone remembers Owen Nolan pointing at the net, Barclay Goodrow capping the Sharks' furious playoff comeback vs Vegas, the arrival of Joe Thornton in teal, or SJ Sharkie precariously dangling in 'No-Shark's Land' in the Tank's rafters, how much do you know about the facts around those moments? With that in mind, rise to one of the most challenging quizzes in my arsenal and test yourself on your familiarity with the intimate details of the biggest, most memorable, and most iconic pieces of the history of this team."

QUIZ PERIOD: Thursday, April 2 through Saturday April 4
-------------------------------------------------
Difficulty:
j1fgH7.png

I know that the more challenging topics may have contributed to the lower participation rate, but I still feel like the most interesting topics come from the most challenging criteria. With that in mind, this quiz is difficult because it asks you to remember a lot about the aspects surrounding those great moments, like the opponent or members of the opposing team. Difficult, for sure, but it's also a good test of how broad people's knowledge of the biggest parts of team history are.

Questions: 20

Time Limit: 10 Minutes

Answer Type: Specific (for the first time, we're using the "specific" answer format. Instead of just being able to rapid-fire potential answers into the box and fill in any question where it fits, you will be asked each question one-at-a-time and have to provide the specific answer to it. You are free to navigate around to any specific question you wish to answer (there's no limit on how frequently you can "skip" or return to it), but any answer you give must be for the question that is currently being asked.

-------------------------------------------------

Rk
Poster_________ Score (/20)Time
Points Awarded
1​
OrrNumber4201:2511
t2​
Pavelski21121910:0010
t2​
Spintheblackcircle1910:0010
4​
CJL182182:048
5​
Lebanezer183:307
6​
BigDmitriy189:006
7​
tiburon121710:005
8​
drunksage165:254
9​
Barrie22138:263
10​
NWSharkie117:042
11​
12​
13​
14​
15​
16​
17​
18​
19​
20​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
:laugh: I'm starting to think I suck at judging how difficult these are supposed to be .

A lot of these truly were iconic moments. Most of us have those moments seared into our brains. Seriously, if you following the Sharks in that certain year you have to remember them.

For the record, 20/20 with 8:35 left.

I struggled with the team the Sharks played in their final Cow palace game. I was sure it was Calgary, but since that didn't work it wasn't hard to narrow it down. Was it the blowout game where Odgers had like 40 penalty minutes? Feels like that was earlier in the season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
A lot of these truly were iconic moments. Most of us have those moments seared into our brains. Seriously, if you following the Sharks in that certain year you have to remember them.

For the record, 20/20 with 8:35 left.

I struggled with the team the Sharks played in their final Cow palace game. I was sure it was Calgary, but since that didn't work it wasn't hard to narrow it down. Was it the blowout game where Odgers had like 40 penalty minutes? Feels like that was earlier in the season.

The point wasn't to remember the moment, but the stuff around the moment. Not everyone necessarily remembers the name of the Canucks' goalie through the early 90s, or all the goalies from the first ASG in San Jose even if everyone remembers those big goals or big games. That's what should've made it tougher, the obscure parts behind the iconic moments. I figured there should be at least 10 things on that list that were at least kinda difficult.

and to your question
The Sharks played Calgary in the last game of the season and were throttled 7-3, but it was in Calgary 5 days after they closed out the Cow Palace on the back half of a home and home vs LA (where they lost 3-2 in OT.). Also that Calgary game only featured a single tripping penalty for Odgers. Dave Maley got dinged 12 minutes for a holding the stick + misconduct combo. Odgers had 14 minutes of PIMs in the Cow Palace finale and that was only good enough for 3rd most on the night for the Sharks (Maley had 17 and Dody Wood hit 20 on the back of two fights and a game misconduct in the 1st period)

Last edited:

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
18/20 took 9min

Couldn’t think of the stadium name or the goalie name on the first goal

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
18/20 and gave up with 7:56 left. I knew the city of the first regular season game, but not the arena name. No way I would've gotten the Craig Coxe goal right besides lucky guesses, but I didn't start watching until 2000.

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
9/20 with 2:56 left, but I didn't get credit for the city name alone on #16 or an abbreviation on #18. How do spoiler tags work? I don't want to be more specific without using them properly.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
9/20 with 2:56 left, but I didn't get credit for the city name alone on #16 or an abbreviation on #18. How do spoiler tags work? I don't want to be more specific without using them properly.

spoiler tags are [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler] without the spaces. You can also find them in the posting menu bar in the icon after the embed video one (the icon is like a page with lines of text and an I-bar cursor. If you click it you get a menu for quotes, spoilers, code, or text strike-through)

But I do see what you mean. That was my fault. I forgot to set that quiz to accept just the city names or abbreviations. When in doubt I'd say always default to team nicknames for any questions where the team is the answer (especially because in cases where it's the Rangers/Islanders I can't just take a "New York" answer.)

I'll give you the 2 points for the two missed questions so your score is 11.

Reactions: NWSharkie

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
spoiler tags are [ spoiler ] and [ /spoiler] without the spaces. You can also find them in the posting menu bar in the icon after the embed video one (the icon is like a page with lines of text and an I-bar cursor. If you click it you get a menu for quotes, spoilers, code, or text strike-through)

But I do see what you mean. That was my fault. I forgot to set that quiz to accept just the city names or abbreviations. When in doubt I'd say always default to team nicknames for any questions where the team is the answer (especially because in cases where it's the Rangers/Islanders I can't just take a "New York" answer.)

I'll give you the 2 points for the two missed questions so your score is 11.
Thanks for the tip! Sadly, the two points won't erase my shame. Looking forward to hopefully redeeming myself on the next quiz!

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Just a note that as of now this quiz is no longer for points. Take it for fun and talk about it if you haven't already, but there will be no more scoreboard updates. I'll have the new one up shortly.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad