HF Retro Game of the Year - 1993 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1993?

• Total voters

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I voted Secret of Mana. Not the best game on this list, but it holds a lot of dear memories for me and is one of the best SNES RPGs on a system that churned out a bunch of excellent RPGs.

Reactions: Kid Icarus

member 157595

Of the options in the poll, I decided to go with Kirby's Adventure. (although I couldn't help but notice a lack of love for Sonic CD)

Christ, I forgot about Sonic CD. My second-favorite Sonic game, behind only Sonic 2. I partially feel it's a bit overlooked because the Sega CD didn't sell all that well, but there were some good games on there.

Sep 19, 2008
Sim City 2000 was a pretty good game. The original Sim City was okay but Sim City 2000 was when things really started getting going.

b2318aea1ce9d564af5835b6a91c2615a1722479aed827618207519ef50e5681_product_card_v2_mobile_slider_639.jpg

CAUnkeZW4AAFshD.png

Duke Nukem is interesting. The original 1 and 2 were for DOS. The one in 1993 was Duke Nukem 2.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
No issue with Doom winning but here are some other memorable '93 games I played.

Daytona%20USA%20(Arcade).jpg

Daytona USA. The graphics at the time were INSANE when this was released in arcades.

1.jpg

SNES version of Aladdin was fantastic. Also a completely different game than the Genesis version.

crime-patrol_10.gif

Crime Patrol. Early FMV game on the Sega CD. I don't remember why but I played this a few years ago with an emulator. Hilarious.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
As much as I played SimCity 2000 (it was a lot), I probably played more SimFarm and SimTower. I think Tower was 1994, but Farm was '93 I think....

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
thanks for bringing back these polls. I didn't do much gaming prior to where we left off in 1994 but I'm interested to see everyone's opinions as we go further and further back.

per the poll -- DOOM is most important, hands down, but for my vote the best was X-Wing. Just a really fun game from start to finish and still my favorite flight sim series ever.

Also a write-in for Bubsy, which was just awesome (and so brutally hard I only beat it once):

Reactions: The Big Ruszkowski

member 157595

thanks for bringing back these polls. I didn't do much gaming prior to where we left off in 1994 but I'm interested to see everyone's opinions as we go further and further back.

per the poll -- DOOM is most important, hands down, but for my vote the best was X-Wing. Just a really fun game from start to finish and still my favorite flight sim series ever.

Also a write-in for Bubsy, which was just awesome (and so brutally hard I only beat it once):

I generally don't play modern games so I'm speaking from a bit of bias here, so I don't know if I can say for certain whether or not games were harder overall when I was a kid, but I'm pretty confident when I say that they were less forgiving.

Since there was so much less volume of content and companies didn't want kids to rent the game (anyone else remember that?) and beat it in a weekend, penalties were often extraordinarily harsh for even minor errors. Gradius III in the Arcade was especially guilty of this, as was Battletoads. You often had to master a game in order to beat it. In the case of Gradius III in the Arcade, on max difficulty you basically did have to be perfect because restarting the game was sometimes preferable to respawning way back with no power-ups.

member 157595

1.jpg

SNES version of Aladdin was fantastic. Also a completely different game than the Genesis version.

Aladdin was such a bizarre case. It was common for licensed games to have both SNES and Genesis versions at the same time but it was very rare for said two games to be both 1) completely unrelated, and 2) good.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
I generally don't play modern games so I'm speaking from a bit of bias here, so I don't know if I can say for certain whether or not games were harder overall when I was a kid, but I'm pretty confident when I say that they were less forgiving.

Since there was so much less volume of content and companies didn't want kids to rent the game (anyone else remember that?) and beat it in a weekend, penalties were often extraordinarily harsh for even minor errors. Gradius III in the Arcade was especially guilty of this, as was Battletoads. You often had to master a game in order to beat it. In the case of Gradius III in the Arcade, on max difficulty you basically did have to be perfect because restarting the game was sometimes preferable to respawning way back with no power-ups.

well it's certainly no secret about that. I remember the new Prince of Persia released a few years back had a system where if you fell off a ledge the game just picked up you and put you back on the ledge, losing nothing other than three seconds of your life in the process. In the original Prince of Persia if you died you went alllll the way back to the very beginning of the game.

Reactions: Osprey

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
In the original Prince of Persia if you died you went alllll the way back to the very beginning of the game.

A lot of this was coin-op legacy design that probably wouldn't have been done that way if arcades weren't the primary exposure to video games for most of the developers of the day. There were certainly far more forgiving games in 89 on the market.

Zodiac

Jul 6, 2003
'The 7th Guest' deserves a mention.

Both The 7th Guest and Myst really helped popularize gaming on CD-ROM.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
well it's certainly no secret about that. I remember the new Prince of Persia released a few years back had a system where if you fell off a ledge the game just picked up you and put you back on the ledge, losing nothing other than three seconds of your life in the process. In the original Prince of Persia if you died you went alllll the way back to the very beginning of the game.

Yeah, I do not have happy memories of seeing the very first room of the game after getting pretty far. IIRC, the game didn't even have any kind of death screen or take you to the menu. You just died and were immediately taken to the start of the game. It seemed cruel.

I replayed it several years ago and had to find an emulator that supported save states because I couldn't take the lack of saving.

Last edited:

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Not really the best year for me, I picked Secret of Mana as that was my personal favourite.

I understand it's probably the right choice but I can't really get behind Doom, as with my circle of friends we started with Doom 2 so Doom just felt like a dated alpha version we never bothered with. I wouldn't really know the finer details of Doom vs Doom 2 though.

member 157595

Jesus Christ, that's the gaming equivalent of a participation trophy. Can't hurt the kiddies' self esteem!

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Syndicate was probably my favorite from that year, and probably holds up the best, but of the options I had to go with Doom.

Reactions: Osprey

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Syndicate was probably my favorite from that year, and probably holds up the best, but of the options I had to go with Doom.

Syndicate was awesome. I've been waiting for another game like it for 27 years (I couldn't get into Syndicate Wars). I'd love it if Firaxis were to take it and update it like they did with X-COM. There's a recent game called Satellite Reign that is supposed to be a lot like Syndicate, but I haven't played it yet.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
Syndicate was awesome. I've been waiting for another game like it for 27 years (I couldn't get into Syndicate Wars). I'd love it if Firaxis were to take it and update it like they did with X-COM. There's a recent game called Satellite Reign that is supposed to be a lot like Syndicate, but I haven't played it yet.
There have been a few failed remakes that got stuck in development hell by indie devs.

There's this game called Vigilantes which - while turn based - scratches some of the syndicate itch, but yeah - it's never really been done justice.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'll leave this open until Tuesday so it'll have been a week of voting.

Here's a rough list for the best video games of 1992:
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Contra III: the Alien Wars
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Kirby
  • Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
  • Dragon Quest V
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Mega Man 5
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Mario Paint

Any other recommendations? I have only played a handful of these games (Wolfenstein, Sonic, Super Mario Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Kart, Contra III, and Mario Paint) - so I could easily be missing some other great releases.

K Fleur

Sacrifice
Mar 28, 2014
I actually did a replay of Link’s Awakening during quarantine. Still a really awesome game

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Of the options in the poll, I decided to go with Kirby's Adventure. (although I couldn't help but notice a lack of love for Sonic CD)

I was on the fence about including it since Sonic was a huge franchise. I assumed most people didn't own a Sega CD and it wouldn't get a lot of votes just based on that fact, so that was my reasoning for omitting it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad