HF Retro Game of the Year - 1993 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1993?

• Total voters

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I'll leave this open until Tuesday so it'll have been a week of voting.

Here's a rough list for the best video games of 1992:
  • Wolfenstein 3D
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Contra III: the Alien Wars
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Kirby
  • Super Mario Land 2 (GB)
  • Kirby's Dream Land (GB)
  • Dragon Quest V
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Mega Man 5
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Mario Paint

Any other recommendations? I have only played a handful of these games (Wolfenstein, Sonic, Super Mario Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Kart, Contra III, and Mario Paint) - so I could easily be missing some other great releases.

Since that list is pretty short on PC games, I recommend adding Dune II. I'll probably even vote for it. It did for real-time strategy games what Doom did for first-person shooters.

Last edited:
Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
I don't think you can really argue against DOOM.

DOOM is one of those games that transcends the industry because of the impact it had. It essentially birthed the idea of FPS games, had incredibly revolutionary level design with the use of multiple floors, intricate puzzles and other environmental hazards. Really unique cast of enemies as well. Not to mention the guys who worked on the game all went on to become pretty big names the industry. Carmack, Romero, American McGee later on.

On a pure gameplay perspective DOOM still holds up like almost 30 years later too.

Link's Awakening would be my second vote. Criminally underrated Zelda game because of it being stuck on the game boy. The tone and atmosphere of the game was dark and depressing long before shit like Majora's Mask and Twilight Princess were. If you can get your hands on the remade version on the Switch i can't recommend it enough. They did such a great job with it.

member 157595

• Wolfenstein 3D
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Kirby
  • Dragon Quest V
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Mega Man 5
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Mario Paint

Any other recommendations? I have only played a handful of these games (Wolfenstein, Sonic, Super Mario Land 2, Kirby's Dream Land, Mortal Kombat, Super Mario Kart, Contra III, and Mario Paint) - so I could easily be missing some other great releases.

Speaking strictly from a console perspective...

Street Fighter II was first released on consoles in 1992 though was in the arcades in 1991, so I think it probably belongs on the 1991 list according to your guidelines. Same situation for TMNT: Turtles in Time. If those games count as 1992 instead they both are worthy of being on this list since they likely won't have a chance in 1991 (every Nintendo kid knows what game I'm alluding to.)

Megaman 5 is the monkey in the room here...it doesn't belong. You should delete that one.

NHLPA '93 is an omission and is well worthy of being on this list.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
I was on the fence about including it since Sonic was a huge franchise. I assumed most people didn't own a Sega CD and it wouldn't get a lot of votes just based on that fact, so that was my reasoning for omitting it.
It's my favourite Sonic game, though I would also say it's not the best Sonic game.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Kings Quest 6, Super Star Wars, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis all came out in 92.

Final fantasy 5 was never released in North America in 92 (I assume it wasn't released in Europe either) so idk about its inclusion.

member 157595

Kings Quest 6, Super Star Wars, Indiana Jones and The Fate of Atlantis all came out in 92.

Final fantasy 5 was never released in North America in 92 (I assume it wasn't released in Europe either) so idk about its inclusion.

I think we have to go by original release dates, but you're right in that unless you were in Japan you didn't play FFV in '92. Either way, I think there's enough doubt about FFV that we can skip it in favor of other games.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada

• Wolfenstein 3D
  • Super Mario Kart
  • Sonic the Hedgehog 2
  • Mortal Kombat
  • Kirby
  • Dragon Quest V
  • Final Fantasy V
  • Mega Man 5
  • Streets of Rage 2
  • Ecco the Dolphin
  • Mario Paint

Probably not popular enough to warrant a spot but I think Lunar: The Silver Star for the Sega CD was the best game that year.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
Lunar should be on there. It was one of the best games of 92. I feel like turtles in time should be on there. The arcade version isn't exactly the same game.

Star Control 2 and Alone in the Dark should be on the 92 list.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad