HF Retro Game of the Year - 1990 - Vote in the Poll!

Game of the year back in 1990?

• Total voters

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
The correct answer for my money is Quest for Glory II: Trial by Fire, but of the options I gotta go with my runner up in King's Quest V.

Monkey Island was a legend as well.

Reactions: Fixxer

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I went with Wing Commander because it introduced storytelling to a genre (flight sims) that, up to that point, had virtually no storytelling at all. It changed the whole experience of a flight sim by having a beginning and an end, progressing the story in-between and even during missions, having you play a character, giving you flight mates to talk to and care about and so on. Most flight sims tried for realism and made you feel like a small piece of a war, but WC was more fantastical and gave you the ability to win the war all by yourself. It satisfied that itch to be like Luke Skywalker in his X-Wing years before a wave of actual Star Wars games came along, probably partly inspired by WC's success. Also, despite the differences in gameplay, I have to think that Mass Effect owes some inspiration to the WC series as a similar space-based epic that's strong on story and attachment to characters.

I also loved King's Quest V and The Secret of Monkey Island and hate to have to not vote for them, since they're two of the finest examples of adventure games ever made, IMO, but they didn't offer the same eye-opening experience that Wing Commander did.

Last edited:

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
I think SMW is kind of a juggernaut here.

I loved watching RR Tycoon but I actually played SMW.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Have to go with Wing Commander.

Origin really was a top developer in those days.

The interactive story along with decent flight sim characteristics made for a memorable experience.

The fact that there was a killboard that updated after every mission added so much realism to the game in that your fellow pilots also accumulated kills outside of your narrow personal perspective.

Reactions: Osprey

member 157595

I can't speak about the PC scene but no console game of 1990 can really compete with SMW. Many an argument has transpired among retro gamers about whether SMB3 or SMW is the finest game in the history of the franchise (they're both wrong, it's Hotel Mario on the Philips CD-I.)

I could write an essay about the game but one thing that must be mentioned is that SMW is probably the best-controlling platform game ever created. I have never played another game that feels that tight and responsive, and I have played my fair share of 8- and 16-bit games.

More comments later.

member 157595

Super Mario World still holds up as a great platformer.

Yup.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and emotions can corrupt a gamer's ability to judge a game objectively. Few are bigger retro hounds than myself but I'm not blind to the fact that significant evolution has taken place in the gaming industry since my heyday. I don't see anyone giving their PS4 a bl**j** to get it to work like my generation did with their NES, do you?

There were a ton of awful games back then, especially with the Atari and NES. There are also a lot of retro games that were great fun at the time but that do not stand the test of time and are unbearable to play today. Dragon Warrior I/II and Final Fantasy I are perfect examples of this concept.

SMW, however, is one of the leaders in the "timeless" category, a game just as fun now as it was nearly three decades ago. I dare anyone on this forum to play this game today and not have fun with it. I f***ing dare you. If you can't have fun with the game you are 1) a goddamned liar, and; 2) dead inside.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Super Mario World is gonna runaway this.

The Nintendo first party titles have dominated the early-mid 90s winners. Looks like it'll be Super Mario World, a Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, and Super Metroid as consecutive winners from 1990 - 1994.

Super Mario World still holds up as a great platformer.

Yeah, I played it on the SNES Classic a couple years ago and it definitely holds up. I think what cements it as such a great game, aside from obvious things like game mechanics and the sprite art style, is the attention to detail and all the random secrets and different paths you can take. Star World, Special World, all the secret paths and different Yoshis you can find, etc. The end game/extra content is surprisingly deep for a platformer.

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
The Nintendo first party titles have dominated the early-mid 90s winners. Looks like it'll be Super Mario World, a Link to the Past, Super Mario Kart, and Super Metroid as consecutive winners from 1990 - 1994.

Yeah, I played it on the SNES Classic a couple years ago and it definitely holds up. I think what cements it as such a great game, aside from obvious things like game mechanics and the sprite art style, is the attention to detail and all the random secrets and different paths you can take. Star World, Special World, all the secret paths and different Yoshis you can find, etc. The end game/extra content is surprisingly deep for a platformer.

Definitely agree. During college (mid 2000's) a group of us would meet up once a week to drink some beer and try to beat the Special World. Great times.

itsjustsurvival

These are my last, last words
Sponsor
Mar 30, 2006
richmond, virginia.
Yup.

Nostalgia is a powerful thing, and emotions can corrupt a gamer's ability to judge a game objectively. Few are bigger retro hounds than myself but I'm not blind to the fact that significant evolution has taken place in the gaming industry since my heyday. I don't see anyone giving their PS4 a bl**j** to get it to work like my generation did with their NES, do you?

There were a ton of awful games back then, especially with the Atari and NES. There are also a lot of retro games that were great fun at the time but that do not stand the test of time and are unbearable to play today. Dragon Warrior I/II and Final Fantasy I are perfect examples of this concept.

SMW, however, is one of the leaders in the "timeless" category, a game just as fun now as it was nearly three decades ago. I dare anyone on this forum to play this game today and not have fun with it. I f***ing dare you. If you can't have fun with the game you are 1) a goddamned liar, and; 2) dead inside.

HAHAHA. I'm not proud of the things I did to get our NES to play.

Reactions: OmniCube

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Super Mario World for sure. Just a great game with no flaws, a huge amount of playable content, so many secrets, and really challenging levels.

also, in the interest of nitpicking, SimAnt was 1991, not 1990.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
PC games just can't compete in polling at this point in time. Not even factoring in inflation you're looking at what, $2,000 for a PC that could play Wing Commander? Versus $300 for the new Super Nintendo. Would basically be a privilege to play Wing Commander at the time while nearly every kid that wanted to got to play Super Mario World if not at launch then within the next few years.

Probably one of the reasons that Doom/Doom 2 worked so well is it came out at a point when it started becoming common for schools to have computer labs that could run it.

Reactions: Fixxer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad