HF ranks teams by their Top 4 defencemen - #3

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Anaheim has one of the best pairs in the league, but there's no argument for Anaheim over Carolina.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Blues, but I also like the Jackets, Ducks, Canes, Wild. And I'm just laughing at the Flyers and Jets votes. Those will be top 15 D groups when they play like it. They're not 3rd in the league!

Jul 19, 2017
Anaheim has a great defence but it comes more from their depth than from top-tier talent, though they do possess that too in Fowler and Lindholm. Really wouldn't want Manson in my top-4 however, so for that reason they have to be in the 4-6 range while their organizational defence is easily top 3 in the league.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
I was thinking the Jackets have to be top 3-5 then saw Car and Min are still out there and thought damn we are great but it's really close. IMO no way CGY is better then CAR.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I'm a Carolina fan and I wouldn't have the Canes this high. The defense has the potential to be that good, but I don't feel comfortable saying that they're there at the moment. Hanifin had a very encouraging finish to the season, but we're only talking about a ~quarter season of Top 4 caliber play. Faulk is coming off of a disappointing 16-17, relative to expectations.

Voted SJ, with the reigning Norris winner (Burns), Vlasic and two proven, solid complimentary Top 4 defensemen in Braun and Martin.

major major

Feb 18, 2013
I don't think any of Calgary or Carolina or Anaheim should be this high. Close, but not this high.

Brodie and Hamonic are both coming off awful years. Faulk had a disappointing season, Hanifin is still learning the ropes, and Anaheim is not that great outside of Lindholm.

The Blues and Jackets for me. And come to think of it, the Sharks is a good pick too. Although even there I didn't think Martin and Braun were in peak form last year (limited viewings).

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Is Montour really expected to play more than Vatanen this year?

WatchfulElm

Former "Domi a favor"
Jan 31, 2007
Rive-Sud
Columbus

Carolina have a good top 4 but they lack a true game-changer. Colombus have 2 of them (Werenski + Jones), and another 2 good ones.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I don't think any of Calgary or Carolina or Anaheim should be this high. Close, but not this high.

Brodie and Hamonic are both coming off awful years. Faulk had a disappointing season, Hanifin is still learning the ropes, and Anaheim is not that great outside of Lindholm.

The Blues and Jackets for me.
And come to think of it, the Sharks is a good pick too. Although even there I didn't think Martin and Braun were in peak form last year (limited viewings).

Even with what you stated about Calgary/Carolina/Anaheim, I'd have them all three above Columbus.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad