HF ranks Flames Prospect Pool 2nd

WhereIsIt

alongtheboards
Jan 21, 2010
Calgary
www.alongtheboards.com
Cool. Thanks HF!

Not to worried about the goalie depth of Ortio, Gillies and McDonald. They all have a chance to be good NHL goalies and with Hiller and Ramo playing well they have plenty of time to develop.

Taranis

Jul 9, 2013
Nova Scotia
Considering Gillies and Ortio could be our future with McDonald an unknown but highly respected goalie I think its a bit silly to say its a weakness for the Flames.

Bouma Fett*

Booty Hunter
May 19, 2012
Calgary
Ortio so far, in my opinion is having a very bad, step back season this year, and it's been going on since the rookie tournament. If he doesn't get going again, we don't have a lights out goalie prospect pool. Gillies and McDonald both have talent, and could be very good, but niether has played at a professional level, so there are unknowns there. I wouldn't label them as weak, but definitely not particularily strong.

Rangediddy

The puck was in
Oct 28, 2011
Won't Gaudreau, Baertschi, Reinhart and possibly Granlund come off as prospects at the end of this season? If they do, where would we rank after they're not considered prospects?

Does Bennett, Seiloff, Wotherspoon, McDonald, Poirier keep us in the top 10 prospect pool?

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Won't Gaudreau, Baertschi, Reinhart and possibly Granlund come off as prospects at the end of this season? If they do, where would we rank after they're not considered prospects?

Does Bennett, Seiloff, Wotherspoon, McDonald, Poirier keep us in the top 10 prospect pool?
Depends on who we get in the draft as well.

Steven

May 10, 2009
Well it looks like McEichel is an afterthought at this point, we'll probably be picking somewhere in the 10-20 range. Any names stand out to you guys in that range? Personally I like Jeremy Roy. RHD with huge offensive upside, our system could really use 'em. Pretty much anyone this year will be a good pick though.

(so long as they don't trade down and take a high school kid ranked in the 2nd round)

Ashera

Bärtschi Fan~!!
Nov 16, 2013
Airdrie
Great problem to have as far as a deep draft with a winning, hard-working culture being cultivated at the same time.

We get to enjoy some awesome never quit hockey without the 'major' risk of getting a bad pick.

Yung Rotini

6 Summers
May 18, 2013
Penticton, BC
Well it looks like McEichel is an afterthought at this point, we'll probably be picking somewhere in the 10-20 range. Any names stand out to you guys in that range? Personally I like Jeremy Roy. RHD with huge offensive upside, our system could really use 'em. Pretty much anyone this year will be a good pick though.

(so long as they don't trade down and take a high school kid ranked in the 2nd round)
I think Jeremy Roy goes in the top ten imo

Steven

May 10, 2009
He's a bit of a wildcard right now. I've seen him ranked in the top ten a few time, but almost exclusively in the 10-20 range. However, as of Nov 5 ISS has him all the way down at 23 :dunno:

Ivan Provorov is another interesting D that could be in our range. He's been red hot for Brandon this season, and his stock is shooting up fast. Seriously, 8 goals and 24 points in 22 games as a D that hasn't even been drafted yet :amazed:

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He's a bit of a wildcard right now. I've seen him ranked in the top ten a few time, but almost exclusively in the 10-20 range. However, as of Nov 5 ISS has him all the way down at 23 :dunno:

Ivan Provorov is another interesting D that could be in our range. He's been red hot for Brandon this season, and his stock is shooting up fast. Seriously, 8 goals and 24 points in 22 games as a D that hasn't even been drafted yet :amazed:

Sprong and Roy are my favorites. I'd also look at Werenski, White, and Rantanen.

Gritty

Nov 28, 2011
My buddy is in this draft class and is shooting up the draft rankings quick! Ryan Pilon.

He's a big D who plays a physical shut-down game with good mobility and good offensive upside. I think he's gonna be a really good 2/3 Dman in this league... with 1D potential.

Master Bill

Congrats, Oilers! (2023)
Nov 9, 2014
Sprong is a candidate to go top 5 in this draft. He'll probably be unavailable when it's our turn to pick.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
My buddy is in this draft class and is shooting up the draft rankings quick! Ryan Pilon.

He's a big D who plays a physical shut-down game with good mobility and good offensive upside. I think he's gonna be a really good 2/3 Dman in this league... with 1D potential.

Are you being serious?

King In The North

Sean Bennett
Jul 9, 2007
Winterfell
If we had a Zadarov or Risto in our pool I'm sure we would have edged out Buffalo. Calgary has come a long, long way since having Nemisz in our top 5 for mulitple years

Wheels of Poirier

Flames in 2016
Mar 21, 2014

No offence to your buddy, I'm sure he's a really good guy.. there's just something about a dman with this last name that makes me skeptical :sarcasm:

Just looked him up, seems to be having a good year and boasts a pretty good junior career thus far

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad