HF Playoff Pick'Em Challenge (Congrats SensNation613!)

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
SCF FORM: https://goo.gl/forms/GrMCreSVnS14TRal2

Full leaderboard: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...uulKWLjdzjbFiclTSBy0cY5AWw/edit#gid=457335021

Current overall leaders:
mc1BI18.png

Round 1 winners:
9fbamLI.png

Round 2 winners:
VoIeSu9.png

Conference Finals leaders were tied with a bunch of people as no-one picked perfectly but many had Nashville in 6 and Pens.

HOW TO PLAY:
This will be round-by-round so you'll be picking only a round at a time, not filling out the entire bracket before the playoffs start. Each round, I'll post the link to the Google form where you will submit your picks. You don't need a Google account to play. There will not be reminders sent out when the next round is ready to be picked so make sure to check back after a round ends.

Link to Google form to submit picks for current round: closed.

The form is pretty straightforward. There is ONE question per series so you'll select one team and one series length. The form won't allow you to select more than 2 options but if you somehow manage to select two teams or two series lengths, I'll delete your picks for that series. Check out the point system below before submitting, specifically that you can get points for the series length without picking the correct winner (and vice versa).

As series end, I'll post updates as to who picked the series correctly and overall standings. Check the second post for the most updated standings. I'll also use the data collected to post the stats as to who HF has as the favorite and how long the series is expected to last. The form also asks for favorite team (optional) so I may be able to provide some more interesting stats (like what does Team A's rivals think about that team's chances to advance).

Last thing, the point system is below. I tried to craft it so each round matters but there is more weighting of later series. I'm up to change it if someone has a better one. I was also considering a multiplier for 'riding' a team (i.e. picking them to win again when successfully picking them to win the previous round) but that's up to discussion.

There's nothing but bragging rights on the line but good luck! Make sure to read the submission rules below if you have any questions or suggestions but it should be pretty straightforward.

SUBMISSION RULES:
1. Submissions will close before puck drop of the first game of each round. Late submissions will not be accepted (the form will either close at puck drop or late submissions will be deleted).
2. All submissions must be made on via the google form. No submissions (or changes) will be accepted via PMs or posts on this thread.
3. Once you submit the form, you will NOT be able to make any changes so consider your picks final.
4. Usernames on the form should match your HF username so you can claim your bragging rights. Please don't use your real name.
5. You are only allowed a single submission. If there are usernames with multiple submissions, I will delete all of them. If this leads to problems in later rounds (i.e. submitting with other competitors' usernames), I will consider requiring a post on this thread within a few minutes of submitting the form to verify submissions.
6. If you have any issues with the form or questions, post on this thread and I'll do my best to help and work through issues. I don't know how well google will handle high numbers of submissions, etc. so we will see as we go.

POINT SYSTEM:
You will be picking both the series winner and the series length.
Note: These picks are independent of one another. That is, you can get points for the correct series length even if you picked the incorrect winner (and vice versa).

Here is the point system I am proposing:

Conference Quarterfinals (1st round)
2 points for correct series winner, 1 point for correct series length
1 bonus point for a perfect series (winner + length)
= each series worth 4 points for total of 32 points

Conference Semifinals (2nd round)
4 points for correct series winner, 2 points for correct series length
2 bonus points for a perfect series (winner + length)
= each series worth 8 points for total of 32 points

Conference Finals
6 points for correct series winner, 3 points for correct series length
3 bonus points for a perfect series (winner + length)
= each series worth 12 points for total of 24 points

Stanley Cup Finals
8 points for correct series winner, 4 points for correct series length
4 bonus points for a perfect series (winner + length)
You will also pick a total goals scored in the SCF as a potential tiebreaker
= SCF worth 16 points

Total of 104 points available

If you have any questions or suggestions, let me know. Otherwise, good luck!

Last edited:

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
HOW TO FOLLOW ALONG

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1KQznapHPgLTieUUKFuulKWLjdzjbFiclTSBy0cY5AWw/edit?usp=sharing

That is the Google Spreadsheet the form is connected too.

The tabs:
Formatted picks- All of the picks in a nice format
Standings- Where you can see your overall place as series ends (right now, it's just 0s until a series ends)
Scoring- As series end, you can check to see how many points you got from each round
Series Data- Some stats on the picks for the 1st round series. I'll continue to update this and will post them here as well.
Favorite team- Stats on favorite teams from those who submitted. Will also continue to update (East vs. West, Conference breakdown) in the next few days.
Perfect Brackets- Tracking how many perfect brackets are remaining (also see below).

(Correct picks- Where I will enter the correct pick info as series end.)
(Raw Data- Where the form outputted its raw data)

Please confirm your picks. If you think they are wrong for whatever reason, post here and I can check the raw data from the form for you. If you do not see yourself on the list, your picks were not submitted. Post here if you think this in error or have your picks recorded in this thread for me to add at some point.

Perfect Brackets:
See the tab in the spreadsheet above to see if you're still in contention! You are eliminated (= deleted from the tab) if you had picked a series combination that is no longer possible (ex. if you pick a team to win in 4 games and they lose a game, you no longer have a possible perfect bracket).

Current perfect brackets remaining: 0
No perfect round 1 brackets!

I'll keep this post updated with info on how people were eliminated: http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showpost.php?p=130756597&postcount=160

1st Round Series Stats:
Basic summary statistics for each of the 1st round series:

z0Mf72l.png

jkh4KRT.png

(Should say Ducks instead of Penguins in image above)

I will continue to add more as I think of stuff to look into but let me know if you have anything you want to see the stats for.

Most lopsided series was Capitals vs. Leafs with 95%+ picking the Capitals.
Closest series was Wild vs. Blues finishing at a 61/49 split.

There are two unique picks (one submission but no others):
Flames in 5 games by 18Hossa
Blues in 4 games by MikeyMike01

Here are combinations that no-one picked:
Flames in 4 games
Preds in 4 games
Rangers in 4 games
Jackets in 4 games
Leafs in 4 games

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
I ran the regular season one on the NHL talk board and discussed doing 1 for the playoffs but if you choose to do 1 then I'll gladly step aside and mention to the people who take part in the regular season 1 to come here and do this 1.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I ran the regular season one on the NHL talk board and discussed doing 1 for the playoffs but if you choose to do 1 then I'll gladly step aside and mention to the people who take part in the regular season 1 to come here and do this 1.

It's up to you, if you were intending to do one and have been running that one previously.. it's all yours. Just to point out since it seems like your thread is a bit different, this would be picking the series result + length, not a daily pick'em with individual game winners. Maybe I need a better title?

I was going to run it via Google forms so I can have it all automated and don't have to do much by hand other than posting the results. I have most of that side of things set up already so if you do want to do one, I can show you what I have. The google form should be able to support virtually unlimited submissions too.

Last edited:

tony d

New poll series coming from me on June 3
Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Up to you, mine for this was going to have series winners and lengths as well as picking daily results.

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
I should have the form posted once the playoff match-ups are official and will update the OP.

Up to you, mine for this was going to have series winners and lengths as well as picking daily results.

Can we split it up? I have this thing pretty much ready to go with all the behind the scene stuff built (the form and the automatic scoring system) and I think there will be different people interested in both of them, especially since the daily pick'em seems to have a dedicated crowd already. We can house both on this thread (or one you create, I don't need the OP or anything) if you'd like? I can certainly use input on the scoring system and stuff as well if you want to help run it. We can continue to discuss via PM if you want to figure out specifics or transition things over.

EdJovanovski

#RempeForCalder
Apr 26, 2016
The Rempire State
Washington over Toronto in 4
Pittsburgh over Columbus in 7
NY Rangers over Montreal in 6
Ottawa over Boston in 7
Chicago over Nashville in 6
Minnesota over St Louis in 7
Anaheim over Calgary in 5
Edmonton over San Jose in 7

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If I remember my own picks

Washington over Toronto in six
Columbus over Pittsburgh in seven
Montreal over nyr in five
Boston over Ottawa in seven
Chicago over Nashville in four
St. Louis over Minnesota in six
Aneheim over Calgary in six
Edmonton over San Jose in Five

My memory is worse then I thought :amazed:

Last edited:

JSlick

Oct 17, 2016
Edmonton
Caps in 4
Pens in 7
Habs in 7
Bruins in 7

Hawks in 7
Blues in 6
Ducks in 5
Oilers in 6

Lots of game 7s

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
If I remember my own picks

Washington over Toronto in six
Montreal over nyr in five (I think)
Boston over Ottawa in six (I think maybe)
Chicago over Nashville in four
Aneheim over Calgary in something
Edmonton over San Jose in something as well

My memory is worse then I thought :amazed:

Washington Capitals, 6 games
Columbus Blue Jackets, 7 games
Montreal Canadiens, 5 games
Boston Bruins, 7 games
Chicago Blackhawks, 4 games
St. Louis Blues, 6 games
Anaheim Ducks, 6 games
Edmonton Oilers, 5 games

those are your picks haha

we have 25+ submissions so far in the hour or so it's been live! I don't want to influence results so I won't be posting any stats until the games start but then I'll post a bunch of stuff. If anyone wants me to take a look at specific things (i.e. how many Leafs fans picked against Montreal, etc.), post any suggestions.

Stuzchuk

Mar 25, 2009
Eastern Canada
Washington over Toronto in five
Montreal over NYR in Six
Ottawa over Boston in six
Nashville over Chicago in Seven
Aneheim over Calgary in five
San Jose over Edmonton in Five

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
Washington Capitals in 4
Pittsburgh Penguins in 6
Montreal Canadians in 7
Boston Bruins in 6

Chicago Blackhawks in 6
St. Louis Blues in 7
Anaheim Ducks in 6
Edmonton Oilers in 6

Eric Sachs

Jan 31, 2007
Washington Capitals in 4
Pittsburgh Penguins in 6
Montreal Canadians in 7
Boston Bruins in 6

Chicago Blackhawks in 6
St. Louis Blues in 7
Anaheim Ducks in 6
Edmonton Oilers in 6

Caps in 5
Pens in 6
Habs in 7
Bruins in 7
Hawks in 5
Blues in 7
Ducks in 6
Oilers in 7

Make sure to submit via the link. I don't see your submissions and that's the only way I'll officially keep track of them.

megalomania

Sep 29, 2010
Switzerland
I like the format, and the point system seems great. Thanks Eric Sachs for organizing this! :handclap:

My picks:
Capitals in 5
Penguins in 6
Canadiens in 7
Senators in 7

Blackhawks in 5
Blues in 6
Ducks in 6
Sharks in 7

Good luck everyone!

Taak19

Sep 22, 2011