HF Habs 5th Annual Early Bird Mock Draft 2019 (completed) - thanks for participating

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Between my two teams, I wound up with:
1 (8): C Trevor Zegras - USA - USA N.T.D.P.
2 (39): LW Patrik Puistola - FIN - LeKi, Mestis/Tappara, Liiga
2 (56): D Henry Thrun - USA - USA N.T.D.P.
4 (101): D Kalle Loponen - FIN - Karpat U20, Jr. SM-Liiga/Hermes, Mestis
4 (118): G Ilya Konovalov - RUS - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL
4 (121): LW Rhett Pitlick - USA - Chaska High, USHS-MN/Omaha Lancers, USHL
5 (149): C Vojtech Strondala - CZE - SK Horacka Slavia Trebic, Czech 2/HC Kometa Brno, Czech
5 (155): D Oliver Turan - SVK - Drummondville Voltigeurs/Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL

In retrospect I regret a few picks, realized after there were better players around and didn't have a list handy. I'm alright with it, though.

Reactions: MarkovsKnee

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Between my two teams, I wound up with:
1 (8): C Trevor Zegras - USA - USA N.T.D.P.
2 (39): LW Patrik Puistola - FIN - LeKi, Mestis/Tappara, Liiga
2 (56): D Henry Thrun - USA - USA N.T.D.P.
4 (101): D Kalle Loponen - FIN - Karpat U20, Jr. SM-Liiga/Hermes, Mestis
4 (118): G Ilya Konovalov - RUS - Lokomotiv Yaroslavl, KHL
4 (121): LW Rhett Pitlick - USA - Chaska High, USHS-MN/Omaha Lancers, USHL
5 (149): C Vojtech Strondala - CZE - SK Horacka Slavia Trebic, Czech 2/HC Kometa Brno, Czech
5 (155): D Oliver Turan - SVK - Drummondville Voltigeurs/Acadie-Bathurst Titan, QMJHL

In retrospect I regret a few picks, realized after there were better players around and didn't have a list handy. I'm alright with it, though.
Pickles redeems your draft

Reactions: Habs76

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto
Good job guys! We started the draft February 25 and finished it March 12. It took two weeks and one day to complete the draft. That's amazing! f***ing speed draft! There were 157 picks made over 16 days. That's basically 8-10 picks per day.

Stats for drafted players:

WHL: 25 players
QMJHL: 22
OHL: 21
USHL: 18
Sweden: 16
USNTDP: 15
Finland: 14
Russia: 12
BCHL: 6
Other: 5

Pretty even across the major leagues.

Thanks to everyone for participating. Hopefully, we all learned a little bit about the prospects for this year's draft and had a bit of fun. I think it's a good draft, but not great. I think the 1st round has some good quality all the way through it. It gets a little dicey in the 2nd, but that's where the scouts come in. There's value there though.

OriginalCanadian

May 13, 2015
The Hammer
Good job guys! We started the draft February 25 and finished it March 12. It took two weeks and one day to complete the draft. That's amazing! ****ing speed draft! There were 157 picks made over 16 days. That's basically 8-10 picks per day.

Thanks to everyone for participating. Hopefully, we all learned a little bit about the prospects for this year's draft and had a bit of fun. I think it's a good draft, but not great. I think the 1st round has some good quality all the way through it. It gets a little dicey in the 2nd, but that's where the scouts come in. There's value there though.
Thanks for this! Can't wait for the real thing in a few months!

Also I think Detroit @pezcore killed this draft. And Detroit is in good position for the real draft. 3 second rounders is sweet.

Stive Morgan

Mhm. Mhm. Mhm.
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
Good job guys! We started the draft February 25 and finished it March 12. It took two weeks and one day to complete the draft. That's amazing! ****ing speed draft! There were 157 picks made over 16 days. That's basically 8-10 picks per day.

Pretty sure I selected like 25% of the WHL players

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
:wild:wild:wild

14. Minnesota: Pavel Dorofeyev (LW/RW) - Metallurg Magnitogorsk (KHL)
45. Minnesota: Ryan Johnson (LD) - Sioux Falls (USHL)
76. Minnesota: Samuel Fagemo (LW/RW) - Frolunda (SHL)
148. Minnesota: Xavier Simoneau (C) - Drummondville (QMJHL)
152. Minnesota: Carter Berger (LD) - Victoria (BCHL)

:bolts:bolts:bolts

31. Tampa Bay (6): Moritz Seider (RD) - Adler Mannheim (DEL)
93. Tampa Bay: Adam Beckman (C) - Spokane (WHL)
124. Tampa Bay: Josh Nodler (F) -Fargo (USHL)

I'm pretty happy with these picks. IMO, I didn't pay full price for any of these guys. Fagemo at 76, Beckman at 93 and Nodler at 124 is what I'm all about.

About the draft in general I think everyone found value throughout. The pace was awesome and I hope you all will join the full mock draft. Most importantly, thanks for doing my goaltending scouting for me, jabronis. @G0bias has my pick for draft of the draft. @pezcore and @jiboy also had very good drafts. I actually almost picked Justin Bergeron when I selected Simoneau. Good thing I checked.

pezcore

Jan 13, 2012
St-Hubert, Qc
Thanks for this! Can't wait for the real thing in a few months!

Also I think Detroit @pezcore killed this draft. And Detroit is in good position for the real draft. 3 second rounders is sweet.

thanks mate!!!

So I hear @pezcore as been banned :sarcasm:

let me know if you need a few pointers for the next mock :sarcasm:

Honestly, its pretty easy to have a killer mock when you have 3 second round picks and 8 picks in 5 rounds.

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
:sabres

15- F Peyton Krebs
19- C Connor McMichael
77- G Pyotr Kochetkov

:sharks

91- RHD Case McCarthy
122- C Joe Carroll
153- RHD Jacob Leguerrier

Didn't have a lot of picks, but I'm happy about the Buffalo ones, I think both Krebs and McMichael could become NHLers, even good ones, while I went a bit more on 'needs' with overager Kochetkov, this season he's getting it done, had a great WJC and IMO, even with Ullman and Luukkonen, they need another goalie in the mix to perhaps accelerate things a bit.

For San Jose, had to do a bit more, research-wise, mainly with various rankings I compared and scouting profiles I found a bit everywhere. McCarthy I think may be drafted earlier, he does have the frame and the tools to project at the next level, Carroll also does have the frame and the tools, BUT, seems to be frustrating as hell, inconsistency is the name of the game in his case, pure gamble, while I think Leguerrier may not seem to have a lot of upside, but does have a good frame, nice skating abilities, and, plays well in his own zone.

Learned a lot about players in this draft, and I'm glad about it, as I didn't really take the time to 'scout' this draft class.

Twas nice, thanks guys !

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
Just a quick prospect question.

You guys think there’s any chance of Vasili Podkolzin dropping out of the 10 into the 11-15 range at the draft or is he a lock to be drafted in the top 10?

MarkovsKnee

Global Moderator
Nov 21, 2007
Toronto

You guys think there’s any chance of Vasili Podkolzin dropping out of the 10 into the 11-15 range at the draft or is he a lock to be drafted in the top 10?

You should ask this in the draft thread. He should be a lock. He's rated top 10 on everyone's lists, but you never know. Lists changes as the draft gets closer. I can't imagine he drops out of the top 10, but people put a premium on centers, so when a guy like Hayton goes top 5, it's very possible that Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Newhook, Krebs all go top 10. That's 5 guys right there. Add in Byram and the top 2 picks, and you're at 8, and maybe Podkolzin drops to 9. But, if a couple of teams like Boldy, Soderstrom or Broberg better than he's out of the top 10.

Wingers can drop.

Be a Hab

Sep 17, 2010
You should ask this in the draft thread. He should be a lock. He's rated top 10 on everyone's lists, but you never know. Lists changes as the draft gets closer. I can't imagine he drops out of the top 10, but people put a premium on centers, so when a guy like Hayton goes top 5, it's very possible that Dach, Cozens, Zegras, Newhook, Krebs all go top 10. That's 5 guys right there. Add in Byram and the top 2 picks, and you're at 8, and maybe Podkolzin drops to 9. But, if a couple of teams like Boldy, Soderstrom or Broberg better than he's out of the top 10.

Wingers can drop.

After reading this thread, I saw you guys are very knowledgeable, so I thought I would ask.

Thanks for taking the time to reply! :)

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque

Just my vaguely educated guess, but to me, the package he brings is at least top-10, if not top-5 lock.

But who knows, sometimes teams don't want to guess too much on russians, even 'obvious' ones.

Reactions: Be a Hab

ahmedou

DOU
Oct 7, 2017
#139:

Valeri Orekhov been a mystery in my view. Overaged one. A extremely risk that I'm taken. My Boratess side of scouting. Frozen bite by his hockeyness portrey.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad