HF Game of the Year 2018 - Red Dead Redemption 2 Wins

HF Game of the Year 2018?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Can anybody who voted for Into the Breach give me some tips?!

It is very frustrating and I am making no progress but I still feel oddly compelled to keep going back to it even though it feels like I am missing something fundamental which is making me suck real bad.

It can be a little confusing at first, when you aren't sure of the objectives. Unlike, say, XCOM, where the goal is to kill all of the aliens, no matter the damage that they inflict, your goal in Into the Breach is to protect as many buildings as possible. That's a higher priority than killing aliens. For example, it would be a better victory to not lose any buildings but not kill all of the aliens than it would be to lose one or two buildings but kill them all. You need to do everything that you can to protect buildings, even if it means having one of your mechs absorb the alien's shot, instead. Your mechs are automatically repaired between missions, so you don't need to worry about repairs.

Protecting buildings is so important because they're directly linked to the global power bar at the top of the screen. When you lose a residential building (any building with a power sign above it), you lose a few bars from your power bar. The power bar is, basically, your health bar. When it reaches zero, your game is over. It takes losing 4 or 5 such buildings for it to reach zero, but you really want to try to not lose more than 1 per mission, since successful completion of the mission will reward you only about that much power. In other words, if you consistently lose two or more residential buildings per mission, you're going to be building up a deficit and giving yourself no margin for error in upcoming missions (ex. if you're down to only a bar or two of power when you start a mission, you won't be able to lose even a single residential building or else it'll be game over).

If you manage to finish a whole island, then you'll be able to spend credits on power and/or upgrades. If you're low on power when you finish an island, you'll want to fill up your power bar. It can be tempting to spend those credits on upgrades, instead, but giving yourself breathing room is more important. You never know when you're going to have a really bad mission in which you lose 2 or 3 buildings and will be thankful that you gave yourself a full power bar so that you could absorb it.

Oh, one more tip: make sure that you're playing the islands from left to right. The left-most island is always the easiest.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pilky01

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Final nomination count, quite a variety this year. So much so that I'll have to cut some from the poll.

Red Dead Redemption 216
God of war15
Spider-Man11
Super Smash Bros: Ultimate6
Dragon Quest XI5
Into the Breach5
Dead Cells4
Monster Hunter: World4
Tetris Effect4
Assassin's Creed Odyssey3
Beat Sabre3
Hitman 23
Kingdom Come: Deliverance3
Octopath Traveler3
Subnautica3
The Messenger3
Celeste2
Detroit Become Human2
Dragon Ball FighterZ2
Forza Horizon 4 2
Frostpunk2
Valkyria Chronicles 42
Vampyr2
Wreckfest2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

The poll is up (or will be in a few minutes)

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
I really thought this would be an RDR2 vote up until about halfway through God of War. It really didn't grab me at a first, but what a thrilling ride that game ended up being. That ending sealed it.

The last minute dark horse contender takes it this year.

Interestingly enough, I think this makes my favourite game each year over the last 3 years Sony exclusives - God of War, Persona 5 (played in 2018 so it didn't make the GOTY thread cut), and Uncharted 4. Spider-Man was another great Sony exclusive.

Last edited:

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Spider-Man!

av1wwmp4vnbcudxjv6dt.gif

Nice

Jan 26, 2016
Hard for me to vote against anything Rockstar puts out because its always so polished, but God of War blew me away. Loved everything about that game.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Toss up between Into the Breach, Dead Cells, Monster Hunter, and Tetris.

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
Black ops 4 has been great, NHL 19 is the best version of itself in years!

CTC

Oct 9, 2014
As someone who's purchased this game on two different platforms along with their respective full DLC character packages, I can't say enough about how close this comes to a complete enjoyable fighting game experience. Easy and intuitive combo pathways allow entry level players to have a fun time, to complex evolving meta that high level players still uncover all within a balanced cast and fantastic visuals for any fan or gamer alike.

This was a great game and really gives you the rush of db fighting with its button combos and amazing animation! lots of fun.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I just finished Into the Breach now, and man, it's fantastic. I haven't been this interested in a strategy game in a very long time. The mechanics are really inspired, simple, and beautiful in kind of the same way that chess is (and in a way that I've always felt strategy games have lacked).

My only minor reservation was that the campaign feels a bit anti-climactic. There's not really a focus on story and it doesn't really progressively ramp up to a satisfying end (although there's color, charm, context, and detail within the world). Instead, the mechanics of each individual battle itself is really engaging/addictive, and they just kind of find a reason to throw them at you until you've played a good amount. I definitely wouldn't call it a game that's jam-packed with "stuff", although that doesn't mean it isn't replayable (it uses random generation WAY more effectively than Dead Cells does-- keeps things feeling fresh rather than impersonal/soulless). More an expectation thing than a flaw.

Celeste and Into the Breach are easily the only two games this year that I feel really strongly about and found legitimately brilliant.

It's too bad Into the Breach is only available for the Switch and PC/Mac. Hopefully they develop Xbox and Playstation ports next year.

I am excited to catch up on all the indie games I've missed recently, though. Over the holidays I'm going to hopefully play Celeste, Cuphead, Firewatch, Dead Cells, and Subnautica.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It's too bad Into the Breach is only available for the Switch and PC/Mac. Hopefully they develop Xbox and Playstation ports next year.

I am excited to catch up on all the indie games I've missed recently, though. Over the holidays I'm going to hopefully play Celeste, Cuphead, Firewatch, Dead Cells, and Subnautica.
I usually despise the idea of gaming on mobile devices, but I actually feel like it's one of the few games that would make a pretty amazing and suitable mobile port.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Can anybody who voted for Into the Breach give me some tips?!

It is very frustrating and I am making no progress but I still feel oddly compelled to keep going back to it even though it feels like I am missing something fundamental which is making me suck real bad.
I'm not amazing at it either, but some ideas:
  • It might be worth going through on easy mode first to fully understand the strategies/mindset you should have. One of the game's greatest strengths is that it's designed to allow you to manage your own difficulty based on what you're comfortable with. Start with beating a couple islands on easy, and if you struggle, skip to the boss at that point (you don't have to beat every island to fight it, and its difficulty will be scaled to however many islands you complete), then do the same with normal mode. Easy mode is fair/intuitive/just challenging enough to be fun, whereas Normal mode is legitimately tough. Starting on Easy mode also gives you the advantage of earning pilots with different abilities that you can then use on normal mode (by making them your time traveler, you can also start normal mode with that pilot maxed out level/ability-wise from your easy mode run)
  • If you're prone to making mistakes that you regret, consider using the pilot Isaac Jones. His ability allows you to reset your turn an additional time, giving you two mulligans.
  • Preserving your power bar is more important than winning other objectives that don't affect your power, and objectives that involve protecting buildings should be your highest priority above all else (doing so is worth two whole power units-- one you gain and one you prevent from being lost). Regular buildings should be your second highest priority. Unlike other strategy games, it's all about survival, damage control, and running out the clock rather than destroying all the enemies you can. For example, on the protect the train/coal plant stage, if things get dicey, just let them destroy the train and don't let them get to the side with all the buildings. I find that once you allow a building to get hit, problems generally start to snowball uncontrollably.
  • Reactor cores are probably your third highest priority (since they're immediate upgrades that take three whole reputation credits to buy), which make time pods super useful (they're easy to get because enemies don't target them, and they often come with a reactor core + a pilot/upgrade). Reputation points would probably be fourth highest priority, and your lowest priority should probably be the health of your pilots. If you're unable to come up with a harm-free solution, let your mechs/pilot eat the damage-- sometimes it's even smart to deliberately put them in harm's way to gain a better strategic position. And if you happened to gain more than three pilots (either through a time pod or completing an island), letting one of them die isn't a bother anyways (although completing the rest of the mission with only two pilots is quite an ordeal). Worst case scenario if you only have three pilots is that one of them dying only results in one mech running on auto-pilot until you find another pilot, which is bad but probably not the end of the world.
  • Block enemies from emerging from the ground if you can afford to. The ideal outcome is to push enemies into spawning areas so that they're hurt/killed by it AND another enemy does not emerge. But otherwise, standing on them yourself and repairing when appropriate is a useful strategy too. If I'm not mistaken, when one spawning point is blocked, more don't appear. Enemies spawn in close groups of three/four, so if you have one enemy running around with three more emerging, a smart thing to do is to let one pilot deal with the enemy running around (even if all three pilots could kill it faster) while the other two block spawning points (they can usually deal with the remaining enemy that's about to spawn right next to them pretty easily, often while remaining on a spawning point and continuing to block enemies). If you have a choice between blocking a spawning point and attacking a damaged enemy that isn't an immediate threat (even if the hit will kill it), it's probably smarter to block the spawning point instead (because the former will result in taking a hit and just dealing with one damaged enemy, whereas the latter results in dealing with one full health enemy and possibly a damaged one on top of that). Standing on top of three spawning points without any other enemies on the screen basically wins the mission, because you can basically just keep doing that while repairing until the turns run out.
  • When choosing missions, don't bite off more than you can chew. Usually, the missions that just involve protecting a building are easiest, because that's what you're trying to do anyways. Also, missions that only have a few buildings on the map concentrated in one area tend to be pretty easy. Missions with hazards sound like something to avoid, but it's actually kind of an advantage, because you can avoid them pretty easily and have more ways of killing enemies quickly. The worst missions that I always avoid are the ones that involve protecting something that's trying to attack the city or that spits out things that attack the city.
  • I find that spending reputation points on new upgrades and weapons are way less useful than spending them on power and reactor cores (unless you get lucky and find one that's super useful). Chances are, it will take a while to beef up the weapons that your mechs already come with by default anyways, so buying a bunch of weapons only delays your ability to become competent. In fact, my strategy is usually to sell every extra pilot or upgrade that I obtain other than the default ones for reputation points, and then spending all of my reputation points on reactor cores to beef up those default weapons (unless I'm desperate for power units).
  • Kind of goes without saying, but your artillery mech is more useful for pushing enemies into/out of place than for dealing damage. It can also cover the most ground, so I find that it's usually the "save your a**" piece. It's also useful for lining up enemies so that the combat/cannon mech can deal maximum damage per turn, kind of like setting up a volleyball smash
  • Take your time with every turn, and use your resets. If you find yourself going "Well, no way I could have avoided that" in your first couple of turns, you aren't thinking hard enough to come up with a better solution. It's unlikely that you'll be forced to start absorbing hits and accepting casualties/collateral damage until the 3rd-5th turns, and by then you're almost done.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
  • If you're prone to making mistakes that you regret, consider using the pilot Isaac Jones. His ability allows you to reset your turn an additional time, giving you two mulligans.
My favorite pilot and the one that I always carry between games is... hmm, I can't remember her name, since I haven't played in months... the girl who can't be webbed. That's such a useful ability. I usually put her in my artillery unit, since that unit usually can't attack adjacent squares, meaning that it can't escape a webbing by killing the webber.

Shareefruck said:
  • Reactor cores are probably your third highest priority (since they're immediate upgrades that take three whole reputation credits to buy), which make time pods super useful (they're easy to get because enemies don't target them, and they often come with a reactor core + a pilot/upgrade).
When I first started playing, I would capture the time pods as soon as possible. It took me a while to realize that that shouldn't be a priority. Not only will enemies not attack them; they also won't land on them as part of their turns. There are plenty of ways for the time pods to get destroyed (enemies or your mechs being pushed onto them, enemies being made to attack their square and so on), so it's generally a good idea to capture them, but it should be saved until it's safe to do so. It's often not safe to capture them in the first round because you have a lot of enemies attacking your buildings to worry about.

Shareefruck said:
  • Block enemies from emerging from the ground if you can afford to. The ideal outcome is to push enemies into spawning areas so that they're hurt/killed by it AND another enemy does not emerge. But otherwise, standing on them yourself and repairing when appropriate is a useful strategy too. If I'm not mistaken, when one spawning point is blocked, more don't appear. Enemies spawn in close groups of three/four, so if you have one enemy running around with three more emerging, a smart thing to do is to let one pilot deal with the enemy running around (even if all three pilots could kill it faster) while the other two block spawning points (they can usually deal with the remaining enemy that's about to spawn right next to them pretty easily, often while remaining on a spawning point and continuing to block enemies). If you have a choice between blocking a spawning point and attacking a damaged enemy that isn't an immediate threat (even if the hit will kill it), it's probably smarter to block the spawning point instead (because the former will result in taking a hit and just dealing with one damaged enemy, whereas the latter results in dealing with one full health enemy and possibly a damaged one on top of that). Standing on top of three spawning points without any other enemies on the screen basically wins the mission, because you can basically just keep doing that while repairing until the turns run out.
This is one of the biggest tips in the game. It's very often the difference between having the mission completely under control and having it spiral out of control, at least on the harder difficulties. You simply cannot afford to have 4 enemies spawn when you still have enemies above ground. One of the holy grails of moves is to land on a spawn location and attack and kill another enemy, since you're figuratively killing two birds with one stone. Another holy grail move is to push an enemy onto a spawn location, especially if the pushed enemy has only one bar left.

Shareefruck said:
  • When choosing missions, don't bite off more than you can chew. Usually, the missions that just involve protecting a building are easiest, because that's what you're trying to do anyways. Also, missions that only have a few buildings on the map concentrated in one area tend to be pretty easy. Missions with hazards sound like something to avoid, but it's actually kind of an advantage, because you can avoid them pretty easily and have more ways of killing enemies quickly. The worst missions that I always avoid are the ones that involve protecting something that's trying to attack the city or that spits out things that attack the city.
The worst missions are the ones that indicate a high level of Vek activity. Even though I play on Hard (or maybe because I do), I generally don't take those missions (unless I'm feeling masochistic or cocky) because it's nearly impossible to avoid taking massive building casualties on them. You'll usually get an extra power unit or reactor core for those missions, but that reward is just not worth losing half your power bar for. If you're struggling with the game, avoid those missions like the plague.

Shareefruck said:
  • I find that spending reputation points on new upgrades and weapons are way less useful than spending them on power and reactor cores (unless you get lucky and find one that's super useful). Chances are, it will take a while to beef up the weapons that your mechs already come with by default anyways, so buying a bunch of weapons only delays your ability to become competent. In fact, my strategy is usually to sell every extra pilot or upgrade that I obtain other than the default ones for reputation points, and then spending all of my reputation points on reactor cores to beef up those default weapons (unless I'm desperate for power units).
I spend points on weapons and abilities only if I'm unhappy with the ones that I have or have empty slots. Unlike in other games, you don't really upgrade your weapons by buying new weapons. You upgrade them by buying reactor cores, installing them and using them on the weapons that you have to make them more powerful. As you suggested, you'll be much better off with a fully upgraded weapon, even if it's not your favorite weapon, than if you keep replacing them with barely upgraded weapons that you like more.

I think that Shareefruck mentioned this, but try to make enemies attack themselves whenever possible. That's another "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" situation, since you're protecting a friendly asset and dealing damage to an enemy.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
^ Agreed on all counts, although I wasn't aware that there was a "high level of Vek activity" indicator. Do you just mean counting how many spawning enemies are on the map? Never really noticed that.

Oh, and keep a close eye on attack order. That one took me a while to figure out and it hurt me big time. Don't waste turns killing something that will die before it can act anyways. Basically, you should be paying close enough attention that nothing the enemy's does + when and how it does it (after moving into position anyways) is a surprise, because the information is always given to you.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
^ Agreed on all counts, although I wasn't aware that there was a "high level of Vek activity" indicator. Do you just mean counting how many spawning enemies are on the map? Never really noticed that.

Just before you accept a mission, on the popup that gives details about it, there's some text near the top of it that indicates the amount of Vek activity. I think that it just says "Vek activity detected" for normal missions, which are most missions, but adds "light" or "heavy" at the beginning for the others. I think that you can also tell by the number of rewards available for the mission: only 1 energy or reactor = light activity, 2 rewards = normal activity and 3 rewards = heavy activity. Anyways, it simply translates to the number of enemies that you must deal with, maybe not at the start, but at least the number that spawn later on.

Shareefruck said:
Oh, and keep a close eye on attack order. That one took me a while to figure out and it hurt me big time. Don't waste turns killing something that will die before it can act anyways. Basically, you should be paying close enough attention that nothing the enemy's does + when and how it does it (after moving into position anyways) is a surprise, because the information is always given to you.

Yeah, attack order is very important, especially on the boss missions and the end game island. It took me a while to discover that mousing over the island outline at the top of the screen shows you the attack order. Knowing it is mainly useful for making enemies attack one another, since the one the one that you want to do the attacking has to have his turn first or else the intended victim is likely to move out the way before the attack happens. I love making those ramming beetles obliterate other Vek.

Last edited:

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Just before you accept a mission, on the popup that gives details about it, there's some text near the top of it that indicates the amount of Vek activity. I think that it just says "Vek activity detected" for normal missions, which are most missions, but adds "light" or "heavy" at the beginning for the others. I think that you can also tell by the number of rewards available for the mission: only 1 energy or reactor = light activity, 2 rewards = normal activity and 3 rewards = heavy activity. Anyways, it simply translates to the number of enemies that you must deal with, maybe not at the start, but at least the number that spawn later on.
I always assumed the ones with more rewards had more enemies, but I never noticed the heavy/light thing. Would three per round be normal and four per round be heavy? I've never encountered anything other than that, I don't think.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
I always assumed the ones with more rewards had more enemies, but I never noticed the heavy/light thing. Would three per round be normal and four per round be heavy? I've never encountered anything other than that, I don't think.

I'm not sure about Normal difficulty. I just know that 4 spawns per round is normal on Hard. I don't think that it ever gets to 5, but the "heavy" missions might just give you 4 every single round without any break. BTW, I'm not even positive that it says "light" and "heavy" exactly, just something along those lines to indicate amount of Vek activity in the region. I'm away from my main computer for the holidays or else I would simply fire it up and check.

Last edited:

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
God of War to me. I can't handle the cumbersome gameplay Red Dead 2 has.

When I play games, I prefer enjoying them - not trying to work around shitty features.

Sucks for God of War how xbox bois didn't get to play it and can only vote for RDR2. Especially as Xbox is much more popular in America than elsewhere.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
GoW in one of the most unenthusiastic game of the year choices I've had in a while.

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
God of War to me. I can't handle the cumbersome gameplay Red Dead 2 has.

When I play games, I prefer enjoying them - not trying to work around ****ty features.

Sucks for God of War how xbox bois didn't get to play it and can only vote for RDR2. Especially as Xbox is much more popular in America than elsewhere.

yeah not a great year to be one of those xbox bois

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad