Oct 12, 2012
God of War
Red Dead Redemption 2
Monster Hunter World
Detroit: Become Human

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
When it comes to blowing me away and providing more fun and ingenuity I think Beat Saber is getting severely underrated, here.

Would rather play that than the bloated AAA games that typically win these.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
When it comes to blowing me away and providing more fun and ingenuity I think Beat sabre is getting severely underrated, here.

Would rather play that than the bloated AAA games that typically win these.

Probably has a lot to do with how many people have VR.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
I'm generally 1-2 years behind releases because I'm super slow at playing games I like & spend a lot of time going back to the well of older games I love (Total Wars & Civs, mostly). I think I've only played RDR2 for 2018 released games; not even done with it yet but I'll nominate that one.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Best of 2018 thread made me buy Celeste. This thread might make me buy Into the Breach. :laugh:

Haha I'm in the same boat. Going to pick up Subnautica, Celeste, and maybe Tetris Effect or Dead Cells if they're on sale.

My only nomination is Red Dead Redemption 2. I'd nominate Dark Souls: Remastered as well - haven't played it yet but it's just the original @ 60 FPS and 1080p, and I absolutely adore the original.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
God of War
Wreckfest
Spider-Man
RDR2
Monster Hunter World

Looking at my list, it's awful that XBOX users don't even have access to 2 of those games.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
God of War
Wreckfest
Spider-Man
RDR2
Monster Hunter World

Looking at my list, it's awful that XBOX users don't even have access to 2 of those games.

Was even worse for them last year.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Vampyr
AC: Odyssey
Marble It Up
Forza Horizon 4
Sea of Thieves
Battlefield V

If I could pick just one SoT would EASILY get my vote. Have over 500 hours into that game with my friends.

Last edited:

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Was even worse for them last year.
Don't have a PS4 anymore (had one just for the Uncharted games.)

Not a Spiderman fan and never got into God Of War.

I loved Horizon ZD though.

*shrug*

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
PSA - Subnautica is currently free for PC/Mac users until December 27.
Subnautica - Prepare to dive

God of War
Wreckfest
Spider-Man
RDR2
Monster Hunter World

This is typical for the XBox console cycle. They come out strong in the first 2-3 years of the console cycle (Sunset Overdrive, Halo 5 & MCC, Forza, Gears of War, Rare Replay, etc.) and then totally bomb the last few years. Same thing happened with the Xbox 360.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Nomination update:

God of war15
Red Dead Redemption 215
Spider-Man9
Into the Breach5
Dead Cells4
Super Smash Bros: Ultimate4
Assassin's Creed Odyssey3
Dragon Quest XI3
Hitman 23
Kingdom Come: Deliverance3
Monster Hunter: Wolrd3
Subnautica3
Tetris Effect3
The Messenger3
Beat Sabre2
Celeste2
Detroit Become Human2
Dragon Ball FighterZ2
Forza Horizon 4 2
Frostpunk2
Octopath Traveler2
Valkyria Chronicles 42
Vampyr2
Wreckfest2
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
*only games with 2+ nominations listed.

Think we'll hold it open till Monday, we've already had more nominations than last year.

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
PSA - Subnautica is currently free for PC/Mac users until December 27.
Subnautica - Prepare to dive

That's impressive. On one hand, the timing makes some sense, since this might get them new buyers for the upcoming standalone expansion. On the other hand, though, it's strange timing because the XB1 and PS4 versions were just released. If you were going to buy one of those and also have a PC that isn't ancient, you might as well just get the PC version for free, instead, at least to try it out first. Thanks for the link. I may have to pass that along to my brother.

Reactions: 50 Sheas of Grey

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
The Best of 2018 thread made me buy Celeste. This thread might make me buy Into the Breach. :laugh:
Haha I'm in the same boat. Going to pick up Subnautica, Celeste, and maybe Tetris Effect or Dead Cells if they're on sale.

My only nomination is Red Dead Redemption 2. I'd nominate Dark Souls: Remastered as well - haven't played it yet but it's just the original @ 60 FPS and 1080p, and I absolutely adore the original.
I just finished Into the Breach now, and man, it's fantastic. I haven't been this interested in a strategy game in a very long time. The mechanics are really inspired, simple, and beautiful in kind of the same way that chess is (and in a way that I've always felt strategy games have lacked).

My only minor reservation was that the campaign feels a bit anti-climactic. There's not really a focus on story and it doesn't really progressively ramp up to a satisfying end (although there's color, charm, context, and detail within the world). Instead, the mechanics of each individual battle itself is really engaging/addictive, and they just kind of find a reason to throw them at you until you've played a good amount. I definitely wouldn't call it a game that's jam-packed with "stuff", although that doesn't mean it isn't replayable (it uses random generation WAY more effectively than Dead Cells does-- keeps things feeling fresh rather than impersonal/soulless). More an expectation thing than a flaw.

Celeste and Into the Breach are easily the only two games this year that I feel really strongly about and found legitimately brilliant.

Last edited:

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005

Subnautica is free on the Epic store for another few days!

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
My top-5 would be..

Smash Bros
Octopath Traveller
Wizard of Legend
Monster Hunter: World
Beat Sabre/Dragon Quest

Red Dead would be here but the online is not what I want yet.

Hades is early access so I'm not sure that counts. But it's amazing too.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
That's impressive. On one hand, the timing makes some sense, since this might get them new buyers for the upcoming standalone expansion. On the other hand, though, it's strange timing because the XB1 and PS4 versions were just released. If you were going to buy one of those and also have a PC that isn't ancient, you might as well just get the PC version for free, instead, at least to try it out first. Thanks for the link. I may have to pass that along to my brother.
Epic is funding the release and all releases in their "free game every two weeks" until at least the end of 2019. Super Meat Boy is next.

What I was able to piece together from various sources is that it's not charity from the developers, it's charity from Epic to make their game store more appealing.

If you own ~30 high quality free games on their service, you've built a decent sized library and are more likely to maybe buy a game from them.

Pilky01

Jan 30, 2012
GTA
Can anybody who voted for Into the Breach give me some tips?!

It is very frustrating and I am making no progress but I still feel oddly compelled to keep going back to it even though it feels like I am missing something fundamental which is making me suck real bad.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad