HF Fantasy Draft Talk Pt2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DropTheGloves

Sep 18, 2020
Alex Killorn ($4.45M)-Sean Monahan ($6.375M)-Mitch Marner ($10.893M)
xxx-Joe Pavelski ($7M)-Jakub Voracek ($8.25M)

Vince Dunn ($0.888M)-Drew Doughty ($11.0M)
Duncan Keith ($5.54M)-Scott Mayfield ($1.6M)

Tuukka Rask ($7.0M)

Tight to the cap and will need some luck to fill in the gaps with players who aren't total scrubs, but I pulled off what I wanted to with the D. Keith and Doughty can still play heavy minutes in all situations and their partners at even strength won't be totally out of place. I also think I built a good line around Monahan, which is hard to do.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
There is one D-man who went relatively high that I think is so overrated and I fail to understand how beloved he is. It baffles me. I am also sure it'll cause controversy so I will wait until the voting period.

I watched him closely in the playoffs and he makes 1-2 nice defensive plays a game that I think get picked up on by the eye test (a good breakup, a good block etc.) but if you watch him the entire game, he is constantly in weird positioning and his partner seems to bail him out often plus he has big trouble moving the puck.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
There is one D-man who went relatively high that I think is so overrated and I fail to understand how beloved he is. It baffles me. I am also sure it'll cause controversy so I will wait until the voting period.

I watched him closely in the playoffs and he makes 1-2 nice defensive plays a game that I think get picked up on by the eye test (a good breakup, a good block etc.) but if you watch him the entire game, he is constantly in weird positioning and his partner seems to bail him out often plus he has big trouble moving the puck.

It's okay. You can say it. It is Hedman.

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
As good as Hedman is...when Tampa put Jan Rutta beside him, all of a sudden he looked weirdly bad for a game so CHOOSE YOUR 20TH ROUND GARBAGE WISELY.

....and by that I mean please take Seabrook.

It's funny. Looking at the stats, he played very equally with Cernak, Shattenkirk and Ruuta last season.

And arguably his best results came with Ruuta. I mean they were always amazing, but I think that kind of proves the point.

But yes, I want to test Hedman and to truly do that he needs Seebs.

Edit: Also he made Bogosian look competent...which as a Sabres fan I can tell you is basically impossible.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
It's funny. Looking at the stats, he played very equally with Cernak, Shattenkirk and Ruuta last season.

And arguably his best results came with Ruuta. I mean they were always amazing, but I think that kind of proves the point.

But yes, I want to test Hedman and to truly do that he needs Seebs.

Edit: Also he made Bogosian look competent...which as a Sabres fan I can tell you is basically impossible.

Playoff XGoals!

Hedman-Shattenkirk = 60.25%
Hedman-Bogosian = 60.27%
Hedman-Rutta = 36.52%
Hedman-Cernak = 46.05%
Hedman-Schenn = 57.96%
Hedman-Sergachev = 62.09%

I imagine the Cernak number is lower because that was likely the shutdown pair at the end of certain games.

So the question becomes...why is Rutta so bad?

Reactions: hockeynorth

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
Playoff XGoals!

Hedman-Bogosian = 60.27%
Hedman-Rutta = 36.52%
Hedman-Cernak = 46.05%
Hedman-Schenn = 57.96%

I imagine the Cernak number is lower because that was likely the shutdown pair at the end of certain games.

XGoals in regular season where they played 300+ minutes together was over 57%.

Ruuta must have just been extraordinarily bad in the playoffs to drag Victor the god down.

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Playoff XGoals!

Hedman-Bogosian = 60.27%
Hedman-Rutta = 36.52%
Hedman-Cernak = 46.05%
Hedman-Schenn = 57.96%

What’re you’re saying is Bogosian should be my pick for beside Pelech

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
XGoals in regular season where they played 300+ minutes together was over 57%.

Ruuta must have just been extraordinarily bad in the playoffs to drag Victor the god down.

My quick look at the "bored oh my god so I am going to look up why Rutta was bad in detail"

In the two games when Rutta got promoted to play with Hedman in the final (which were games 4 + 5), Rutta put up:

0 GF, 3 GA at 5v5.

13 SCF, 24 SCA

3 HDCF, 14 HDCA

So, I watched the 3 goals against.

1. The game 5 OT winner by Perry, Perry got behind Hedman/Rutta and Rutta kinda just watches it happen, he was tied up with Seguin but doesn't get away from him to get back to Perry, I guess? Hedman didn't get there in time.

2. Game 4, Rutta blocked a Klingberg shot but both him and Hedman didn't know where it went, Klingberg fired the rebound in.

3. Game 4, Hedman must have been tired and just couldn't catch up to Pavelski and Rutta couldn't block the pass to the middle.

I wouldn't say Rutta was horrible on any of the goals against but Hedman had a few weird mistakes on them so my final conclusion is...

Rutta sabotaged Hedman mentally. :laugh:

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
What these games have taught me:

Jan Rutte/MacKenzie Weegar > Drew Doughty/PK Subban
Without 12 1Cs you cannot win the Stanley Cup
If you dont have bangers on every line and 12 in your bottom 6 you cannot win in the playoffs
Never trust a Nucks fan

hockeynorth

Aug 31, 2017
Sick team thats not getting enough love:

K Connor (7,142,857)—— A Kopitar (10M)——R Smith (5M)
xxxxx——N Schmaltz (5,850,000)——V Arvidsson (4.5M)
xxxxx——J Hughes (925,000)—K Kapanen (3.2M)
xxxxx——xxxxx——xxxxx

B Pesce (4,025,000)——S Jones (5.4M)
xxxxx——xxxxx
xxxxx——xxxxx

xxxxx
xxxxx

with a 3D it'd be pretty sick

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
based on people's reactions, it appears that I missed a trick drafting Smith over Dvorak

(even tho Smith is more impactful)

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
based on people's reactions, it appears that I missed a trick drafting Smith over Dvorak

(even tho Smith is more impactful)

Panda it's because Dvorak plays CEE

Fun story though, based on several Oilers media stories I read pre free agency, the Oil considered Craig Smith a C.

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Panda it's because Dvorak plays CEE

Fun story though, based on several Oilers media stories I read pre free agency, the Oil considered Craig Smith a C.
Oh yeah. Right.

As another Oilers fan, I never once ever read anything about the Oilers considering Craig Smith a centre.

Paralyzer008

Jan 30, 2008
Oh yeah. Right.

As another Oilers fan, I never once ever read anything about the Oilers considering Craig Smith a centre.

Oilers free agency primer: Can Edmonton poach Jacob Markstrom?

In this free agent primer list, I found it out that Spector had Craig Smith in the same column as Eakin and Nosek, two guys who play C. Huh. Maybe he just doesn't know.

I can't find the link but then Jim Matheson put out a 3C target list and it said "the Oilers would love a right shot guy but maybe one won't come available." and near the top of his 3C list? Craig Smith. That list also btw featured Haula, Eakin and Nosek, all of whom were on Spec's list. Weird!

Kyle Turris of course shoots right and was bought out after that article.

But I was certainly thinking "wait two Oilers writers randomly bring up Smith as a C? Hmmm"

Panda Bear

Apr 2, 2010
Oilers free agency primer: Can Edmonton poach Jacob Markstrom?

In this free agent primer list, I found it out that Spector had Craig Smith in the same column as Eakin and Nosek, two guys who play C. Huh. Maybe he just doesn't know.

I can't find the link but then Jim Matheson put out a 3C target list and it said "the Oilers would love a right shot guy but maybe one won't come available." and near the top of his 3C list? Craig Smith. That list also btw featured Haula, Eakin and Nosek, all of whom were on Spec's list. Weird!

Kyle Turris of course shoots right and was bought out after that article.

But I was certainly thinking "wait two Oilers writers randomly bring up Smith as a C? Hmmm"
Jim Matheson probably just read Spector, who himself should have known better.

As @LT calls it, he's 100% a winger.

Reactions: Paralyzer008
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad