Prospect Info: HF Devils 2021 Draft Guide

OmNomNom

Taco is Love, Taco is Life
Mar 3, 2011
In the Church of Salmela
Guys, all draft questions should be posed to me here on this thread. I'll be at work tonight but will answer what I can when I get home tonight and tomorrow morning. Also, you can ask questions to @thethinglonger and @RememberTheName and @Guadana who are all incredibly knowledgable about the prospects.
is this a bar? where are you at nowadays

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I'd write an article about the best players available for Day Two, but the Devils do not have a second round pick and are unlikely to get players like Pinelli, Svozil, Raty, Stankoven, Chibrikov, Bar, Robertsson, Heimosalmi, Pastujov, Iorio, Morrow and Buium.

Some sleepers to watch on the third round on include Martino, Kirsanov, Olsson, Duke, Savage, Nause, Kuzmin, Del Mastro, Janicke, Harrison, Kapanen, Lukashevich and Munzenberger.

It will be fun to watch. The Devils did an excellent job on day One with Hughes and Stillman, so there's already a lot to be excited about.

You mentioned 12 players that were likely ranked much higher than Stillman.

Devils may eventually be proven right but leaving guys like Raty, Pinelli and Pastujov on the board given the club's dearth of scoring certainly leaves the door open for criticism.

"Excellent" seems a stretch at this point.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
Any chance Del Mastro lasts until Devils pick in the 4th? Or is there a goalie available worth selecting?

Yes, I feel Del Mastro could last to the #100 pick. Has troubles with the puck at times, but unbelievable combination of size/skating and when he's on his game he's an absolute beast. With the right development, could be a physical force for your second pairing.

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth

Come on guys. Quit slacking.

I don't know where we will be picking, but there were some guys that stood out to me at the U18s that are eligible for this coming draft. Shane Wright was obviously my #1 standout, but not far behind I would say was Danila Yurov. I also really remember liking Ivan Miroshnichenko, Arseni Koromyslov, and Joakim Kemell. Danny Zhilkin didn't have a huge role for Team Canada as he kind of acted as a 13th forward, but he had a whole lot of involvement on both sides of the puck for someone with such limited minutes. Definite sleeper for me. I really don't remember Brad Lambert much, but I know he is very highly regarded. Elias Salomonsson got some SHL minutes as a 16 year old RHD this past season, and will be one of the youngest players in the 2022 draft. Again, I don't remember much from him, but I know he was fairly defensively responsible and poised for someone his age, and went over 1 PPG in the Swedish junior league on the same team as Simon Robertsson. There are some other highly regarded USA guys in the USNTDP, but I really don't remember them standing out too much this past season, so we will have to wait and see how they develop. There's some other guys of note, like the 6'5" Swiss LHD Lian Bichsel, but I really haven't seen most of these guys enough to make any kind of opinion on them.

Guttersniped

I like goalies who stop the puck
Sponsor
Dec 20, 2018

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I will point out to non-subscribers that there are 22 names on this list and 6 are RHD. Just a helpful reminder that we should probably keep that 2022 draft pick.

For fun, here is the equivalent article for 2021 draft:
The 2021 NHL Draft ranking: Corey Pronman's top 35 prospects

I have not looked into the 2022 draft too much yet, but from my early estimation it's a stronger class than 2021. So, you could not be more correct that the Devils would be foolhardy to trade the pick.

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
Don't mind the versatility in the pool now but would definitely want to lean towards more high ceiling, boom/bust types over the next few drafts.

We've got a fair amount of guys with some sandpaper in the system now.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Don't mind the versatility in the pool now but would definitely want to lean towards more high ceiling, boom/bust types over the next few drafts.

We've got a fair amount of guys with some sandpaper in the system now.

how about some more mobile rangy defenders with right handed shot also?

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY

Zellweger has been terrific all year long. I just looked earlier in this post and saw I had him at #39 while Bob McKenzie's list had him at #45. His defensive play has taken great strides as well and he plays with a whole lot of compete, which makes me even more hopeful for his future. As with any undersized defenseman, he's going to have certain struggles playing his style at higher levels, but watching him this year I feel he can follow in Adam Fox's shoes and overcome them with his high levels of intelligence and skating acumen.

Reactions: Tao Jersey Jones

Tao Jersey Jones

Sep 28, 2003
Plainfield, NJ
Zellweger has been terrific all year long. I just looked earlier in this post and saw I had him at #39 while Bob McKenzie's list had him at #45. His defensive play has taken great strides as well and he plays with a whole lot of compete, which makes me even more hopeful for his future. As with any undersized defenseman, he's going to have certain struggles playing his style at higher levels, but watching him this year I feel he can follow in Adam Fox's shoes and overcome them with his high levels of intelligence and skating acumen.

I searched for Zellweger and this thread was the first one that wasn't locked.

Looks like a high reward pick for the Ducks so far. He has a little time to grow an inch or two.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I searched for Zellweger and this thread was the first one that wasn't locked.

Looks like a high reward pick for the Ducks so far. He has a little time to grow an inch or two.

I'd say the best case scenario for Zellweger is something like what Ty Smith looked like last year. The worst case scenario is what Ty Smith looks like this year. This is why I brought up Adam Fox -- the margin for error with small, offense-first defensemen is extremely narrow. What I like about Zellweger is that he plays with high compete and a lot of courage, which combined with his speed and skill makes him an extremely intriguing prospect.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad