Prospect Info: HF 2015 draft rankings are out

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
9. Elite Talent – possesses the potential for greatness, a perennial All-Star throughout his career.

Defense: Nicklas Lidstrom, Zdeno Chara, Chris Pronger
Forward: Ilya Kovalchuk, Joe Thornton, Eric Staal
Goaltender: Martin Brodeur, Roberto Luongo, Henrik Lundqvist

8. First-Line Forward/ No. 2 Defenseman / No. 1 Goaltender – players with definite skill that might be just a cut below elite status, but still possessing All-Star potential.

Defense: Dan Boyle, Duncan Keith, Kimmo Timonen
Forward: Patrick Marleau, Jason Spezza, Mike Richards
Goaltender: Cam Ward, Marc-Andre Fleury, Tomas Vokoun

7. Second-Line Forward/ No. 3-4 Defenseman / Journeyman No. 1 Goaltender – players not quite good enough to play on the top line or pairing on a regular basis, but still possessing enough talent to contribute offensively, defend with some authority, or competently play the goaltender's position for long stretches.

Defense: Filip Kuba, Christian Ehrhoff, Henrik Tallinder
Forward: Andy McDonald, Ryan Malone
Goaltender: Chris Mason, Dwayne Roloson, Mike Smith

6. Third-Line Forward/ No. 5-6 Defenseman / Backup Goaltender – generally speaking, players whose game is defensively-oriented, or whose abilities aren't quite good enough to land full-time duty on the 2nd line, top two defensive pairings, or the No. 1 goaltending position.

Defense: Jordan Leopold, Chris Campoli, Shane O'Brien
Forward: Trent Hunter, Manny Malhotra, Matt Cooke
Goaltender: Scott Clemmensen, Ty Conklin, Alex Auld

5. Fourth line forward / No. 7 defenseman / depth goaltender – players that populate the 4th line, will fill in for injured defensemen, or have some ability to play goal in the NHL but are mostly very good minor league goaltenders. Think of any enforcer you care to name, or any energy player you care to name, or any unlucky defensemen or goaltenders that don't quite have enough talent to crack an NHL lineup full time.

A – All but guaranteed to reach potential - 100 percent metaphysical certitude that the player will play up to his abilities as noted by his potential rating. In this case, the potential rating is multiplied by 100 percent for depth chart purposes, signaling that the player is a lock to reach his given potential.

B – Should reach potential, could drop 1 rating - likely to reach potential, but may have a hole or two in his game that will keep him from reaching his full potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 90 percent for depth chart purposes, which indicates slightly less certainty about a player’s future performance.

C – May reach potential, could drop 2 ratings – has shown some flashes, but may ultimately not have what it takes to reach his potential. The potential rating is multiplied by 80 percent for depth chart purposes to show the uncertainty of a player reaching his potential.

D – Unlikely to reach potential, could drop 3 ratings – a player who has a chance to reach his potential but is unlikely to do so. The potential rating is multiplied by 70 percent for depth chart purposes, indicating that the player's potential is extremely fluid.

MaxLacoste

Jun 26, 2012
Montreal
Yup, totally agree with you about the Cs and Ds...way too many!! (every year! it becomes kind of boring/mundane...always with the so many Cs and Ds!!). I kind of got used to it!! but yeah...they should really spice it up sometimes with a few Bs here and there!! (and when the potential is really high...some As!!).

Shouldn't Juulsen be 7.5 B or 8C...?

PK Subban was what? 7.5C? 8C? (he should have been 9A or 9.5A!! in my humble opinion;)).

Price (if I remember correctly) was 8B, no? (that was awhile ago!). Hab prospects don't usually get high ratings on HF, or maybe the HF scouts are Leaf fans?!:sarcasm: (I have no idea!).

Anyways...I take these letter evaluations with a grain of salt!!
(but yeah...they should not be afraid sometimes to give a B to the prospects who deserve it...spice it up!! live it up a little!!).

I can't wait for Juulsen to be a part of our top 4...but patience will do it!!

At the end, Price was a 9.0B. His best rating, just after the Calder Cup. Nobody should put too much attention on this system. It's the same as labelling a player "1st round". Doesn't mean anything at the end.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013
McDavid should be a 9.5 ... he dominated junior at the same level as Crosby, Lindros, and Lemieux; and by a far greater margin than Stamkos, Tavares, and Hall.

I presume he won't get a 10 since nobody expects him to break Gretzky's record.

I'd rate McDavid a 10B for the reasons you mentioned. Highest caliber potential, but at this state we can't be 100% sure he'll reach it at the NHL level, hence the B instead of the A.

Stjonnypopo

Rgesitreed Uesr
Jan 26, 2009
Mount Doom
HF is super conservative in their numbers. They'd much rather underestimate a prospect than overestimate. It's understandable but it means that a lot of good prospects are in the 7s and aren't rated higher than a C.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
At the end, Price was a 9.0B. His best rating, just after the Calder Cup. Nobody should put too much attention on this system. It's the same as labelling a player "1st round". Doesn't mean anything at the end.

Good to know, but still wondering...was it 8B or close? (before he won the Calder Cup). True...doesn't mean anything in the end, but...it's still fun to see what numbers and letters they come up with...especially in the beginning!!:popcorn: (imo, Juulsen should be 8b or 8c, or at worst...7.5a).

What waz Gallagher's rating?
5D?

Haha!! I betcha it was 6C or 7C (or 7D).
But, I can't remember.

HF is super conservative in their numbers. They'd much rather underestimate a prospect than overestimate. It's understandable but it means that a lot of good prospects are in the 7s and aren't rated higher than a C.

From what I'm getting this is exactly what it is...a lot of prospects are being underrated/underestimated (to be on safe side,etc) VS overrated/overestimated. Lots of 6s and 7s and Cs and Ds out there VS 8s...and it is very rare you see a 9 or As and Bs.
Also, I can understand...not easy to see every prospect 2-3 times to give a proper evaluation,etc,etc.

Nevins

Jul 12, 2014
JDLR = 7.0 C......he made NHL at 19 and is already a 3th Nhl center...stupid.....

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad