Hey Yo - 20 Years Ago Today the Monday Night Wars Really Began

TribalPhoenix

Former TribalPhoenix
Dec 2, 2005
Toronto
This was my teen years. Perhaps the best era of pro wrestling ever.

Will never forget staying up until the wee hours of the morning watching Raw and Nitro, gambling on which one to bet on. Will always be the benchmark.

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
Technically I would say it began when Lex Lugar appeared on the first episode of Nitro in Sept 1995

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I've had the Network for awhile, but I only just got around to watching the final Nitro. Back in 2001, I was busy with school and was bummed that I couldn't catch it live. The younger version of me lost his mind when Rick Rude showed up on both shows. I would have liked to have seen Vince on both Raw/Nitro.

Always felt it was a shame that the last one was their annual Panama City spring break episode. But the roster seemed pretty depleted at that point.

Shoalzie

Trust me!
May 16, 2003
Portland, MI
I need to watch more Monday Night War shows. I'm on an ECW binge right now (nearing the end of 1999) but I'll get into those competing shows next.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I've read the Death of WCW book, but it was a little sadder to see the state that WCW was in at the end. Not sure if it's on every old Nitro on the network, but the bevy of AOL and 1800Collect commercials was hilarious on the final Nitro.

McRpro

Cont. without supporting.
Aug 18, 2006
Clown World
I never paid much attention to WCW but when I found out Hogan, who I loved as a kid, actually turned into a bad guy I just had to start watching.

DenisSamson3

Sep 13, 2007
I rewatched the episode where Rey Mysterio got his head hit in to the portable/trailer by the NWO. That was really well done. Firstly, the fans had no idea what was going on backstage. People realized this while viewing on tv and made emergency calls to paramedics. Second, Bobby the Brain Heenan asking for special asistance and safety to be ensured by the wcw management. Bischoff could not provide that so the Brain with his fear of concussions and well being left the commentary team.. He pulled that off really well. Still remember Jimmy Heart running to the ring to stop the match and ask or assistance backstage. He was yelling at Lex. Even the Steiner brothers coming out to the ring while having a filler match to keep the fans happy during the delays. The fans still had no idea what was going on. The Steiners kept looking over their shoulders for a possible beatdown by the Nwo for the whole match. Lastly the backstage session was rather long. Eddie talking to Rey as to any clues on who the perpetrators were. Sting taking the ambulance ride with Flair. Was full of Chaos back there.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
1997 is my favourite year in wrestling. Height of the nWo, Bret Hart and the Hart Foundation killing it every week, the rise of Stone Cold, and Foley and HHH's awesome feud.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
I'd say "those were the days", but the year or two following that up until WCW's implosion were indeed "the days".

CaptainCrunch67

Aug 23, 2005
I've read the Death of WCW book, but it was a little sadder to see the state that WCW was in at the end. Not sure if it's on every old Nitro on the network, but the bevy of AOL and 1800Collect commercials was hilarious on the final Nitro.

One of my favorite wrestling books, but its a hard read at times because looking back, you could see the destruction of the company coming very shortly after the debut of the NWO.

Basically the book talked about the card quality and match quality going through the floor soon after the NWO started up. The cruiser weights and undercard guys were performing hard, then the NWO veterans would basically come out and put on pathetically bad matches consistently.

When they watered down the NWO to the point where the ring was filled with NWO members the end was in sight.

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
Imagine what would of happened if the NWO never happened...

No Attitude Era
No NWO
Probably no DX
No Monday Night Wars
Hogan likely wouldn't have turned EVER

WWE would likely have been out of business. Undertaker, HBK, Austin, Rock in WCW? :naughty:

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
Imagine what would of happened if the NWO never happened...

No Attitude Era
No NWO
Probably no DX
No Monday Night Wars
Hogan likely wouldn't have turned EVER

WWE would likely have been out of business. Undertaker, HBK, Austin, Rock in WCW? :naughty:

The seeds for WWE's Attitude Era were already planted before the nWo. And with the Attitude Era, I think DX still happens. Not sure how much of a response DX was to nWo, but you may be right on that.

Monday Night War was already happening before the nWo.

Hogan had to turn eventually. He was getting booed a lot in 1995 or so.

Wait, why would the absence of the nWo lead to WWE being out of business?

OmniSens

@OmniSenators
Sep 22, 2008
Ottawa
The seeds for WWE's Attitude Era were already planted before the nWo. And with the Attitude Era, I think DX still happens. Not sure how much of a response DX was to nWo, but you may be right on that.

Monday Night War was already happening before the nWo.

Hogan had to turn eventually. He was getting booed a lot in 1995 or so.

Wait, why would the absence of the nWo lead to WWE being out of business?

I'm saying this as in if both companies didn't really worry about the other. Or pay attention or interact.

As for the seeds already planted, I agree. But they wouldn't have done 90% of the stuff they've done. DX likely wouldn't have been half as fun to watch if they didn't go to the extreme like they did.

Megahab

Apr 30, 2009
Toronto
I'm saying this as in if both companies didn't really worry about the other. Or pay attention or interact.

WWE was already worried about WCW before the nWo. It's not like WCW only became competition to WWE after the nWo started.

AlMo

Feb 28, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
WWE was already worried about WCW before the nWo. It's not like WCW only became competition to WWE after the nWo started.

WCW never really could match up to the WWE prior to the NWO days. I guess WCW was competition and I guess you should always pay attention to the competition but when NWO came around this wasn't a "worry", it was a serious threat and for about a year and half WCW were in complete control of the ratings war. When the NWO gained steam, the WWE were the ones doing the chasing and I'm sure at one point there was a serious concern for the future of the company. Luckily, the WWE had Vince to see them through.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad