Post-Game Talk: Hey! We've Got a Winning Streak! 2-1 SO over NSH

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Yep, as has been discussed there are some Leafs posters here who didn't like the style the Wings played.

I can't see them liking the Leafs now since they were so against that style of play.

You either like it or you don't, shouldn't matter if it is your team or the opposition team, it is Babcock hockey.
There's a difference between liking that team and liking the style a team plays.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Babs is also starting to choke the life out of the loss column in the standings.

His advanced stats puck possession is starting to be rewarded in the win column now.

Expect a lot of close low scoring games 3-2 and 2-1 as its the only way a team can win when it doesn't have the talent/skill of the opposition.

Oddly enough, their possession stats (outside of the Detroit game) for November have not been too good.

I'm more inclined to think Reimer has stolen a few points this month that the team probably shouldn't have gotten, his .942 save % (.952 % @ 5v5) has been a pretty huge reason for most these points.

Babcock certainly has them playing with much more effort and structure but we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves.

Jimmy Firecracker

Fire Sheldon.
Mar 30, 2010
Mississauga
Oddly enough, their possession stats (outside of the Detroit game) for November have not been too good.

I'm more inclined to think Reimer has stolen a few points this month that the team probably shouldn't have gotten, his .942 save % (.952 % @ 5v5) has been a pretty huge reason for most these points.

Babcock certainly has them playing with much more effort and structure but we shouldn't get too far ahead of ourselves.

Yeah the Leafs are actually starting to get competent goaltending compared to earlier this year.

Can we please see Corrado play next game????????????!!!!!!!!

Seriously. I'm eager to see how he does for us.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Yeah the Leafs are actually starting to get competent goaltending compared to earlier this year.

I'd consider league average to be competent goal tending, .915 so far. Reimer's .942 in November is almost 3 points higher than competent this month. Based on their 196 shots allowed that difference would be an extra 5.3 goals against, easily able to remove most of their recent points.

I'm not disputing Babcock has them playing a much better overall game but I won't be too impressed until he can get points when Reimer regresses from his recent play. Pretty much any coach should be able to get some points with a .942 over 6 games.

KILLERLEAFFAN101

Jan 19, 2008
Toronto
Except for Bernier in 13-14 and the first half of last season.

I guess you missed my previous post. Bernier has a good save percentage in 2013/2014. Looking at the numbers, once again they began slipping after the Olympic break.

26-19-7 with a 2.67 GAA and .923 save percentage is alright. I don't like looking into GAA but with it that high would suggest his save percentage was inflated due to the high total of shots faced.

Same bodes for last year. Except like usual, he faltered. I think by now smart Leaf fans have come to acknowledge Bernier doesn't have the stamina to be a #1. He wears down, gets injured, and loses mental focus. He can't play over 40 games without it all going down hill, sorry folks that isn't a #1 goalie.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I'd consider league average to be competent goal tending, .915 so far. Reimer's .942 in November is almost 3 points higher than competent this month. Based on their 196 shots allowed that difference would be an extra 5.3 goals against, easily able to remove most of their recent points.

I'm not disputing Babcock has them playing a much better overall game but I won't be too impressed until he can get points when Reimer regresses from his recent play. Pretty much any coach should be able to get some points with a .942 over 6 games.

Our goaltending was atrocious prior to this modest streak by Reimer. If anything, Babcock's influence has mitigated the damage that could have been done. Last night was the first night this season that at least one soft goal wasn't allowed.

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
Our goaltending was atrocious prior to this modest streak by Reimer. If anything, Babcock's influence has mitigated the damage that could have been done. Last night was the first night this season that at least one soft goal wasn't allowed.

What more damage could have been done? 0 points is 0 points.

Gary Nylund

Oct 10, 2013

Truth.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
What more damage could have been done? 0 points is 0 points.

It wasn't 0 points prior to the last 6 games, but it easily could have been based on the play of our goaltenders.

If you think that Reimer is stealing points for us, we've been watching two different teams. He's been better lately, but let's not get carried away.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
Reimer has been better but the team in front of him is also playing better structure to limit quality chances and reduce secondary chances (I haven't seen the Leafs give up many secondary chances off rebounds so far).

Basically Reimer is making the saves he should be making for the most part, and is splashing in some higher quality saves from time to time

hockeyes

Jun 15, 2013
It wasn't 0 points prior to the last 6 games, but it easily could have been based on the play of our goaltenders.

If you think that Reimer is stealing points for us, we've been watching two different teams. He's been better lately, but let's not get carried away.

I agree, we must be watching different games.

dimi78

Aug 9, 2008

Reimer has been better but the team in front of him is also playing better structure to limit quality chances and reduce secondary chances (I haven't seen the Leafs give up many secondary chances off rebounds so far).

Basically Reimer is making the saves he should be making for the most part, and is splashing in some higher quality saves from time to time

He's giving the team a chance to win... That's all you can ask from your goalies. This theory about needing goaltending to steal you games is why Carlyle has been fired. The team game under him needed goaltending to be the first star of the game.

That's not winning hockey. It's a good way of setting up collapses ;)

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Babs is also starting to choke the life out of the loss column in the standings.

His advanced stats puck possession is starting to be rewarded in the win column now.

Expect a lot of close low scoring games 3-2 and 2-1 as its the only way a team can win when it doesn't have the talent/skill of the opposition.

Oh absolutely expected. That's what the trap was about. Keeping things close.

NHL is built to keep standings close as long as possible with the gimmick shoot out.

As for advanced stats, are you sure it's contributing to wins? 2 of the 4 wins have come with the team being outshot. Last night was a +1 shot differential.

They are dropping down the CF% rankings and down the Shot attempts % close rankings as well.

Do you have a possession by game site to review?

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
Oh absolutely expected. That's what the trap was about. Keeping things close.

NHL is built to keep standings close as long as possible with the gimmick shoot out.

As for advanced stats, are you sure it's contributing to wins? 2 of the 4 wins have come with the team being outshot. Last night was a +1 shot differential.

They are dropping down the CF% rankings and down the Shot attempts % close rankings as well.

Do you have a possession by game site to review?

they've dropped a bit in november, but are still solid, and that has mostly come against the best possession teams in hockey.

November Opponents:

5v5

NAS: 53.9sat% (4th) / 55.8usat% (3rd)
WSH: 53.8sat% (5th) / 54.0usat% (5th)
DAL: 52.5sat% (7th) / 51.1usat% (9th)
DAL: 52.5sat% (7th) / 51.1usat% (9th)
WPG: 51.8sat% (8th) / 51.9usat% (7th)
DET: 46.8sat% (27th) / 44.9usat% (30th)

5v5 Close

DAL: 55.2sat% (2nd) / 53.6usat% (4th)
DAL: 55.2sat% (2nd) / 53.6usat% (4th)
NAS: 54.6sat% (3rd) / 56.3usat% (2nd)
WSH: 53.2sat% (6th) / 53.0usat% (7th)
WPG: 51.0sat% (9th) / 51.4usat% (10th)
DET: 46.6sat% (26th) / 44.5usat% (28th)

Leafs overall this year:

SAT%: 49.9 (14th), 49.8close (16th)
USAT%: 50.6 (11th), 50.5close (12th)

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Why can't Reimer get a cool Optimus Reim mask... and not his childish DaveArt Stuff.

Ok..time to break out my old Reimer mask Avy...he is starting to play like that first year he was brought up. Wonder if the goaltending coach has fixed his tracking and rebound problems...seems better lately.

Rogie

ALIVE
May 17, 2013
Kyoungsan
It's important to look at the trend of a team's possession number. There is no question our CF% 5v5 ES has fallen in November. But, as Zeke showed (and to me at least, this was expected) since we played 5 teams who are ranked higher than ourselves in possession numbers. If our possession numbers continue trending downward when we start playing poorer possession teams, then I think that suggests a bigger concern, but, I don't think that is going to happen.

We aren't the Kings, so, I'm not surprised we didn't win a few of the possession games, but, we've improved and maybe it would of been even worse had we played like last year when I seem to recall crazy 'regular' shots against numbers never mind Corsis against.

Again, the trend is important and I expect our numbers to start going back up when we play some teams that aren't such good possession teams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad