Hextall's moves

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
I was thinking about all Hextall's moves since he was promoted as GM of the Flyers, and then remembered that Tripod made that impressive list with all Hextall's moves, but the last update happened a year ago, so it would deserve to be updated. I will try to gather all moves which are missing since last year to this point. Feel free to add it to OP, Tripod. Great work you have done here. Thanks for it.

Year 3:

Signed F, Roman Lyubimov to ELC ... played on the 4th line with limited ice-time, went back to KHL after season, qualifying offer has been made
Signed F, Jordan Weal to 1-year contract ($650K AAV)
Signed F, Pascal Laberge to ELC ... 2016 2nd round pick, QMJHL
Signed F, Nick Cousins to 1-year contract ($840K AAV)
Signed F, Petr Straka to 1-year contract ($650K AAV) ... this is nothing signing :laugh:, but for the record, and Straka did not play a single game in 16-17 (for Lehigh Valley), traded right away to Albany Devils, now in Czech Extraliga for 17-18
Re-signed D, Brandon Manning to 2-year contract ($975K AAV) ... not much need to be said, serviceble #7th d-man on NHL level who played on the 3rd pair due to lack of depth
Re-signed F, Brayden Schenn to 4-year contract ($5.125M AAV) and avoided arbitration ... a good contract for young, physical top 6 forward with a nice production through the years
Signed G, Carter Hart to ELC ... 2016 2nd round pick, CHL Goaltender of the Year (15-16), played 4 games for Team Canada U20 (16-17) at the WJC, as 18 years old
Re-signed G, Michal Neuvirth to 2-year contract ($2.5M AAV) ... once showed that can be very good goalie, injury prone, had terrible year but could bounce back, fills role as stop-gap for young goalie prospects, will fight for the starting position in goal
Re-signed F, Pierre-Edouard Bellemare to 2-year contract ($1.45M AAV) ... meh, no longer in the organization, taken in the ED. 1 year too much and about 450k too much for player of his caliber
Traded D, Mark Streit in exchange for F, Valtteri Filppula, 4th & 7th round pick ... traded pending UFA and gathered draft picks along with solid veteran F who fills the short-term need either as center or LW and improves overall depth of the team
Signed F, German Rubtsov to ELC ... 2016 1st round pick, almost PPG in MHL (15-16), played in KHL as 18 years old (16-17), played at the WJC for Team Russia U20 as 18 years old (16-17), finished season in QMJHL (over PPG there), had injury
Signed F, Greg Carey to 2-year contract ... pure AHL signing
Signed D, Mark Friedman to ELC ... 2014 3rd round pick, played in NCAA, now headed to AHL for 17-18
Signed F, Mike Vecchione to 1-year ELC ... one of top free agents from college, made NHL debut and looked good
Signed F, Connor Bunnaman to ELC ... 2016 4th round pick, OHL
Signed F, Mikhail Vorobyov to ELC ... 2015 4th round pick, headed to AHL for 17-18, played 2 seasons in KHL before, and played at the WJC for Team Russia U20 (10 assists in 7 games)
Signed F, Oskar Lindblom to ELC ... not much needs to be said, Lindblom could make the NHL roster in 17-18, late round pick who has massively developed & improved, was one of the top forwards in the SHL
Re-signed D, Shayne Gostisbehere to 6-year contract ($4.5M AAV) ... very reasonable contract for top PMD, who had monster rookie season, experienced sophomore season but still with very good numbers, could be a steal (likely it already is), if he bounces back to his rookie season or comes close to it
Re-signed D, Mark Alt to 1-year contract ... pure AHL signing
Traded F, Nick Cousins & G, Merrick Madsen in exchange for F, Brendan Warren & 2018 5th round pick ... cleared space in bottom 6, got value for player who could be taken in ED, cleared space on goalie prospect position and traded prospect who maybe would not sign contract with the Flyers, gained F prospect and pick in a strong draft
Did not offer new contract to the assistant coach Joe Mullen ... he was in charge of PP
Hired Kris Knoblauch as assistant coach of the Flyers ... young coach who turned Erie Otters (OHL) to a junior power-house (7 years as head coach in juniors), provides new outlook & ideas to the coaching staff

Year 4:

Draft 2017
Nolan Patrick:
Morgan Frost:
Isaac Ratcliffe:
Kirill Ustimenko:
Matthew Strome:
Maksim Sushko:
Noah Cates:
Olle Lycksell:
Wyatt Kalynuk:

Traded 2017 picks #44, #75, #108 to Arizona in exchange for 2017 pick #35 to select F, Isaac Ratcliffe
Traded 2017 7th round pick (#199) to Montreal for 2018 7th round pick

Traded F, Brayden Schenn in exchange for F, Jori Lehtera, 27th overall pick in 2017 (Morgan Frost), and cond. 1st round pick in 2018 ... got two 1st round picks that massively helps to fill-up prospects pool, got another 1st round pick in 2018 draft that is considered to be very deep, acquired forward who should significantly improve bottom 6, wants to get more ice-time and opportunities for young players (Konecny, Lindblom ...) and hopes that they can replace Schenn's production
Re-signed F, Jordan Weal to 2-year contract ($1.75M AAV) ... still fairly young forward who showed very promising stretch of play at the end of the season, and showed that he can contribute in the top 9 on the NHL level if given the chance, could turn out to be very good signing, we'll see ... and also he's forward who Hextall acquired in exchange for L. Schenn and V. Lecavalier!
Signed G, Brian Elliott to a 2 year contract ($2.75M AAV) ... one of the best available UFA goalies on the market, signed to short-term and fairly cheap contract, perfect choice due to his experience of playing in tandem, he's used to share duties with another G, good veteran goalie who fills the the role as a stop-gap for goalie prospects, showed that he can be very good under the right structure
Re-signed F, Corban Knight to 2-year contract ... AHL signing
Signed F, Philip Varone to 2-year contract ... AHL signing
Re-signed F, Mike Vecchione to 2-year contract ($900K AAV)

Hope I did not miss anything... Correct me if needed, or if something should be added. :)

Last edited:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Hextall didn't actually fire Mullen. He needed a new contract after last year & the Flyers opted to not renew it. Ultimately same end game but it was an outright firing.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Thanks Tade....I added it to the OP. I changed who we picked with the picks from the Streit deal and then updated a few of the year 1 and 2 prosoects.

Funny enough, I was thinking of updating this here in the dog days of summer. Now what the hell am I going to do?

:laugh:

Last edited:

tade

Mar 6, 2013
Brno, Czech Republic
Hextall didn't actually fire Mullen. He needed a new contract after last year & the Flyers opted to not renew it. Ultimately same end game but it was an outright firing.

Oh, okay, did not know about that. I will edit it, thanks.

Thanks Tade....I added it to the OP. I changed who we picked with the picks from the Streit deal and then updated a few of the year 1 and 2 prosoects.

Funny enough, I was thinking of updating this here in the dog days of summer. Now what the hell am I going to do?

:laugh:

Sorry about that. :laugh: You will find something else hockey-related! We have so many great prospects, I will have to go through youtube at some point in the summer, and watch highlights of our prospects to remind myself how exciting future should be ahead of us. :)

Btw, in the OP, there's missing information about Joe Mullen, that's because I edited my post, and added this information later.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad