News Article: Hextall Out as Flyers GM

Ollie Weeks

the sea does not dream of you
Feb 28, 2008
Hey, thats also as many as the Kings won in Lombardi’s first five years of rebuilding his franchise! Thats neat!

Reactions: King Trouty

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
The big difference being, of course, he stockpiled picks then did nothing with them.

Roster is full of guys that are old like ours--but he hasn't traded them to rebuild with assets nor has he traded assets to be competitive. It's like he engineered his OWN black hole, albeit one full of youth ready to potentially pop. Hard to tell if he would have gone 'all in' at some point but you can be TOO patient and risk averse and that's what he was showing.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Needed to happen (along with a coaching change). The Flyers feel like a franchise stuck in neutral, simply unwilling to do anything but draft and wait while their best players age. He needed to pick a direction, use a bit of the deep pipeline to improve the roster or trade off some aging vets keeping you in the black hole.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ziggy Stardust

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Needed to happen (along with a coaching change). The Flyers feel like a franchise stuck in neutral, simply unwilling to do anything but draft and wait while their best players age. He needed to pick a direction, use a bit of the deep pipeline to improve the roster or trade off some aging vets keeping you in the black hole.
I agree to some extent. I think he should have moved Giroux and Simmonds out of there. Both will be 31 years old soon. Both would bring a nice return. Unlike the Kings, the Flyers have the assets to make a real commitment to getting younger and better.

Reactions: ScoreZeGoals

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Why does Holmgren get to fire him, what the hell has Holmgren ever done? It's amazing how this guy has avoided being ousted. Now he gets to pick another GM.
Well the Flyers did make the playoffs in 5 out of the 6 years he was full time GM. Including a two Conference Finals appearances and a SC Finals appearance. Got past the 1st round of the playoffs in 4 of 6 years. Most GM's wish they could have those results.

He also took Dean to the cleaners in the Richards trade. Essentially getting Couturier and Voracek for Carter was good value also.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
Well the Flyers did make the playoffs in 5 out of the 6 years he was full time GM. Including a two Conference Finals appearances and a SC Finals appearance. Got past the 1st round of the playoffs in 4 of 6 years. Most GM's wish they could have those results.

He also took Dean to the cleaners in the Richards trade. Essentially getting Couturier and Voracek for Carter was good value also.

Highly debatable. Dean got two cups. Holmgren got jack shit.

This is the cautionary tale of "Should have traded our guys at their zenith before they decline." Holmgren did that, got f*** all for it. Schenn is long gone, Simmonds is about to leave as a UFA.
Oh he made room for Giroux? Cool. Giroux is never going to win shit in a Flyers' uniform either.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Why does Holmgren get to fire him, what the hell has Holmgren ever done? It's amazing how this guy has avoided being ousted. Now he gets to pick another GM.

He's done a pretty excellent job winning "Survivor" for the last decade.

Highly debatable. Dean got two cups. Holmgren got jack ****.

This is the cautionary tale of "Should have traded our guys at their zenith before they decline." Holmgren did that, got **** all for it. Schenn is long gone, Simmonds is about to leave as a UFA.
Oh he made room for Giroux? Cool. Giroux is never going to win **** in a Flyers' uniform either.

Right? Sure, you traded for a couple of guys who ended up with better tangibles in a "Kings win now, Flyers win later" deal. The problem is the Flyers didn't win later and the Kings won twice largely because of Richards with at least the first one. But I guess we can hang him a "We won the trade" banner in that empty space. Schenn snagged Lehtera (lol) and the pick that became Morgan Frost, so maybe they'll still win it down the road? Otherwise, the best hope was that he'd become Mike Richards, and it's safe to say that never happened. Simmonds' emergence was the real 'surprise' in that trade, I'm glad he's had such a good career and I'm glad it's with Philly who appreciates his game, but how does that story end?

I can understand saying both teams 'won' the trade as it did what it should have at least for the Kings and the idea was there for the Flyers--after all, it's not Schenn, Simmonds, Voracek, Couturier's fault per se that the team around them wasn't good enough either--but saying Dean got taken to the cleaners is a fistful of LOL given they were never as good as they were with Richards and Carter.

Johnny Utah

Aug 2, 2005
Santa Monica, CA
You mean 4 post seasons. We won the Cup in 2014. We haven’t been past the 1st round since then.

I actually looked it up. We have won 1 playoff game in 4 post seasons. Wow.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

Bahahaha. Keep telling yourself that bud. The Kings would never have won the first cup without that trade, but I'm sure you'd rather have both guys back and still losing in the 2nd round year after year.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill
The big difference being, of course, he stockpiled picks then did nothing with them.

Roster is full of guys that are old like ours--but he hasn't traded them to rebuild with assets nor has he traded assets to be competitive. It's like he engineered his OWN black hole, albeit one full of youth ready to potentially pop. Hard to tell if he would have gone 'all in' at some point but you can be TOO patient and risk averse and that's what he was showing.

This is a lot like the Ducks team. They're supposedly loaded with young talent, yet the GM holds onto them too long or does nothing with them to drastically improve the team.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
I agree to some extent. I think he should have moved Giroux and Simmonds out of there. Both will be 31 years old soon. Both would bring a nice return. Unlike the Kings, the Flyers have the assets to make a real commitment to getting younger and better.

Those two are exactly who I'm talking about

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Maybe DL gets the job and he starts turning them into LA East, like he did with LA as Philly West. Carts, Toff, Dion, etc can all go to Philly for some picks/prospects. Do it Deano!

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
I dunno, if Hextall didn't work what makes them think DL would? While they are not the same, Hextall took a lot from Lombardi and was essentially his apprentice.

Although, maybe this could help us :P DL was always sentimental about his players and liked to do deals with teams he was familiar with. Maybe we can trade him our aging stock :P

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
There have been rumblings today that Lombardi will be named GM

Rumblings must have been somebodies stomach. DL (per homer today) is not a candidate, he mentioned him by name.
All candidates are external and search will be a quick one.

Owner Dave Scott said they are looking forward to the trade deadline and not missing on opportunities. GM to be in place within 'weeks'.

Was disappointed that Homer said firing Hexy had nothing to do with Haks, said he hopes the GM will look at his work. Really? He sucks.

Reactions: King Trouty

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad